Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I loosened mine and tightened them back up. I chickened out and tightened them to 45 ft lbs (I guarantee they were torqued a lot more than that). I just came back from a trip 4 hours away. My pull to the right is basically gone now. Not sure why it worked for that. My dead spot is still there but that helps drivability (which wasnā€™t bad compared to a lot of people on this post, so Iā€™m not complaining). Now to try the fuse idea and see if that helps anything.

Scott
Curious to see if the fuse technique works for you. Be sure to leave the fuse out and JL off for at least five minutes to make sure the electrical components fully discharge.
Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Updated Power Steering Reset Fuse Technique

Some have reported this fixed a few different steering issues such as the dead spot, loose steering, pulling, etc.

Note: It might not be a good idea to try this procedure if you have already made other modifications to tighten steering like adjusting the steering box lash screw. Keep in mind that this same reset occurs if you have a dead battery or replaced the battery so if you have made other steering tightening modifications you may have over tight steering.

1. With the JL off, remove F34 power steering fuse.

2. Start the JL, notice no power steering by turning the steering wheel and dash message error appears. Do not drive it.

3. Turn off engine. Open driver door and close it so it completely turns off all dash lights. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes so all electronics fully discharge.

4. Reinsert F34 fuse, start engine, immediately turn steering wheel full left, full right, turn to center, turn engine off. Restart and take for a test drive.

There are several reports of success. Some say no difference. If the steering box is bad, loose steering or suspension components, then this reset wonā€™t make a difference. Check out this success story - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-1187994

Last edited:

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Curious to see if the fuse technique works for you. Be sure to leave the fuse out and JL off for at least five minutes to make sure the electrical components fully discharge.
I canā€™t say the fuse technique changed anything for me. Still about an inch and a half dead spot.

Scott

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
My first exposure to white knuckle JL driving was last Fall, one week after picking up my 2020 Rubicon, driving from PA to Outerbanks. 3" of center play and a fight to keep her between the lines.

If you read my previous posts, i ended up with PSC SK500 hydraulic steering, Teraflex adjustable steering stabilizer and finally a set of Teraflex adjustable lower control arms to push the castor to +7.x. I have been very happy since completed and very excited to replicate my 9 hour journey in my Rubi and will be able to compare fatigue and effort to drive.

OBX - Here we come!

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
My first exposure to white knuckle JL driving was last Fall, one week after picking up my 2020 Rubicon, driving from PA to Outerbanks. 3" of center play and a fight to keep her between the lines.

If you read my previous posts, i ended up with PSC SK500 hydraulic steering, Teraflex adjustable steering stabilizer and finally a set of Teraflex adjustable lower control arms to push the castor to +7.x. I have been very happy since completed and very excited to replicate my 9 hour journey in my Rubi and will be able to compare fatigue and effort to drive.

OBX - Here we come!

why they donā€™t put adjustable LCAā€˜s on JLUR models from the factory makes no sense.

Sponsored

onc_doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon
New Rubi Recon owner here. 1 week ago. Had a JK back in 2016.
Mine pulls to the right and there's a constant need to adjust, with quite some play before steering actually takes place. Tire pressure set at 37, the car came with Falkens.
Do you think the fox steering stabilizer alone may help?

jeepthang

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Mine pulls to the right and there's a constant need to adjust, with quite some play before steering actually takes place. Tire pressure set at 37, the car came with Falkens.
Before spending money and if your handy with some simple sockets and torque wrench I would first do the following.
- Park on level ground with tires in the straight position.
- Loosen both the track bar end bolts along with the sway bar end links and re-tighten to spec.
- I would also go around check your upper and lower control arm bolts and drag link.

Many have found loose connections out of the factory on stock JL's. With a quick search you can find the factory spec's for all the torque #'s.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You can temporarily remove the steering stabilizer and take it for a test drive. Also you can try the fuse technique described a few posts ago. Someone in another thread said it fixed the pulling problem. Both ideas are simple and free to try.

onc_doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon
You can temporarily remove the steering stabilizer and take it for a test drive. Also you can try the fuse technique described a few posts ago. Someone in another thread said it fixed the pulling problem. Both ideas are simple and free to try.
Tried the fuse - didn't really noticed any change. Will try removing / reattaching later

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Like many here have stated, my steering ā€œfeels like a Jeepā€. It wanders, it hates wind and it rides nothing like a luxury car. My wife (who has driven my other Jeeps) flat out hated the steering in our 2020 JL. To the point sheā€™d rather move it in the driveway and just take something else.

I read in here that sometimes the steering controller can get ā€œconfusedā€ and act like itā€™s miscalibrated.

The advice to correct was with the ignition off, remove Fuse F34, start the JL, notice no power steering and just wait for all the dash messages to cycle. Turn off the engine, reinsert Fuse F34, start it up and turn the steering wheel stop to stop (full left, full right, return to center). Turn the engine off, restart and take it for a test drive to see if anything improved.

I did everything but the test drive and told my wife I had the ECM recalibrate the steering and to test it for me. Obviously, I have a greater tolerance to wander than her so chances are good I might not notice improvement. She took it to the store, bombed around town doing chores and came home saying I fixed it.

I drove it and it felt like a Jeep to me but she says it now feels like a Jeep, not a 1952 Packard needing an alignment.

If anyone else has done this, Iā€™d be curious to your results.

Last edited:

Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I looked at the gladiator forum to see what was happening there....with loose steering.

Some participants are having their "steering box" replaced, and this is solving the problem of loose steering on their Gladiators.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...t-freezing-rebooting.21907/page-4#post-507405

The OP there had his box replaced several times; he persevered. He reported success....no vagueness on centre with the final steering box change.

MotownJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler, 2011 Chevy Suburban
I think I found a solution for mine. I had the same problems... loose wheel, drifted to the right, always correcting. I took it in to the dealership, and they (of course) said I hit potholes and took it out of alignment (at just 6000 miles!). I convinced them to give me a free alignment. Didn't help at all. Took it back in and talked directly to the service manager. He took it in and decided to put in an entirely new steering column. Took them 2 days to finish the job after 1 day of acquiring the part. So far, it's 97% better! Wheel is tight again like it was off the lot. Very minimal drifting, but not 100% perfect. After about 150 miles, I'm satisfied with the fix. We'll see if it lasts.

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
I think I found a solution for mine. I had the same problems... loose wheel, drifted to the right, always correcting. I took it in to the dealership, and they (of course) said I hit potholes and took it out of alignment (at just 6000 miles!). I convinced them to give me a free alignment. Didn't help at all. Took it back in and talked directly to the service manager. He took it in and decided to put in an entirely new steering column. Took them 2 days to finish the job after 1 day of acquiring the part. So far, it's 97% better! Wheel is tight again like it was off the lot. Very minimal drifting, but not 100% perfect. After about 150 miles, I'm satisfied with the fix. We'll see if it lasts.
do you know if they had to re-flash the computer when they did this repair?

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
I canā€™t say the fuse technique changed anything for me. Still about an inch and a half dead spot.

Scott
This didn't help at all but it re-affirms for me that I'm pretty sure it's just a power steering calibration problem. I think that my jeep just got flashed with the wrong codes and needs to be coded for a 2 door sport. Unfortunately @JeepCares worked with three dealers to make sure they told me that everything was "operating as intended" hey @JeepCares is it too much to ask to just get a dealer to re-flash my jeep with the correct firmware or software or whatever.
Sponsored