Sponsored

Mark Allen Says Full Electric Wrangler EV Can Be Even More Capable Off-Road

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Torque and packaging characteristics of electric motors would be great for offroad. But how far can your extension cord reach in Canyonlands? How big would the fold-up solar panels need to be to recharge this thing while you're stopped for lunch?

Unless they compromise the design and make an aerodynamic Wrangler (IMO, they shouldn't) we're kinda stuck until the next leap in battery tech. I'm curious to see what they come up with.
Besides aerodynamics consider what tires do to the perforance. Consider difference in mileage of a JL Sport vs. a Rubicon vs. a modified vehicle with 35" or bigger tires. This appears to reduce mileage (range) to 2/3 or 1/2 of what it could be. I can see it now- range of xx miles as long as you have 225 tires, range of half that with the big tires.

We'll soon see the Hummer EV, but I expect it to be $80k+
We've had these conversations in other threads about people spending crazy money on Rubicons. People don't even blink twice at spending $55-65k, so $80k is just a little bit above that.
Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
however with all the other manufactures getting a "head start" in e vehicles, jeep have to jump onto the band wagon and get going.
For sure, but like he said in the article, the hybrid isn't even slated until 2022. I'll eat my computer if they have a fully electric wrangler in production by the end of 2024, competition or not. Even Tesla takes a year or more between models/trims, and they've been in the electric game for far longer.

Another thing to consider: Say for whatever magical reason they have a fully electric wrangler ready to go for 2023 or 2024. At that point, the JL will already be seven years on the market. I know jeep generations tend to go longer than others, but JL will be a bit long in the tooth at that point, especially in today's car world where everything seems to get a revision every 3 years. They may want to put the fully electric out there at the same time they're heading into a brand-new era of the wrangler, so that's another factor that makes me think it's gonna be 2025 or later.

It's all guesswork at the end of the day, but I just see this thread full of the same ol' ignorant stuff, I guess. People acting like the thing is coming out tomorrow. One dude talking about an extension cord out into the canyons with you...I mean lol dude, come on. People just live in their bubbles and have these knee-jerk reactions to anything that is slightly against their norm. In five years electric cars are gonna be so far beyond what we're seeing now, and battery tech is gonna be way beyond. It's just kind of silly to dump all over this news article when it's so far away.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
An electric Jeep Wrangler with five 100-lb 37-inch tires. Right.

Yeah, I can’t quite picture it either.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
There would be a lot of room in there for electric motors.
Room for electric motors is not the issue. The issue is the monster tires that will sap all the stored electricity before you even get to the trailhead.

Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
My auto-start-stop durations have been shortening. Now I can’t even sit through a normal traffic light without turning itself on midway. My AC and heating are always off.
Thanks i’ll have to keep an eye out for that then.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yeah, EV is a terrible idea for straying far from the mall parking lot charger...

And those saying "five years EV will be Soooo much better" yeah right...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, EV is a terrible idea for straying far from the mall parking lot charger...

And those saying "five years EV will be Soooo much better" yeah right...
Yup. That breakthrough battery has been right around the corner for the past 20 years.

Last edited:

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Yup. That breakthrough battery has been right around the corner for the past 20 years.
More or less, this.
I am personally a fan of electric vehicles. They are stupidly fast and mechanically far more reliable than their ICE counterparts.
I just think that batteries are not the solution. They are crazy heavy and the power density is terrible compared with hydro-carbon combustion. I don't give much credit to the longevity issue though. After all, what are the chances you would still have the original ICE engine at 500k miles?
Fuel cells? Another option I guess. But, it's not like you can strap a Jerrycan of compressed hydrogen to your roof. So, doesn't help in the world of off roading and over landing.
Although, they do have fuel-cells that work with gas and jet fuel. I am not sure those have an advantage over ICE in terms of emissions though. So, the eco-mentalists would block it, no doubt.

If you get the chance, drive an electric. The speed will make you want one.
I personally think they should be focusing their energy on converting things like buses, garbage trucks and short haul trucks to electric as these monsters spew out far more gas and noise than any 100 modern cars.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
More or less, this.
I am personally a fan of electric vehicles. They are stupidly fast and mechanically far more reliable than their ICE counterparts.
I just think that batteries are not the solution. They are crazy heavy and the power density is terrible compared with hydro-carbon combustion. I don't give much credit to the longevity issue though. After all, what are the chances you would still have the original ICE engine at 500k miles?
Fuel cells? Another option I guess. But, it's not like you can strap a Jerrycan of compressed hydrogen to your roof. So, doesn't help in the world of off roading and over landing.
Although, they do have fuel-cells that work with gas and jet fuel. I am not sure those have an advantage over ICE in terms of emissions though. So, the eco-mentalists would block it, no doubt.

If you get the chance, drive an electric. The speed will make you want one.
I personally think they should be focusing their energy on converting things like buses, garbage trucks and short haul trucks to electric as these monsters spew out far more gas and noise than any 100 modern cars.
I have driven EVs before. Yes, they are quick and they are quiet. But they have no place on top of a mountain range or in the middle of a desert. Not with the technology we have today at least.

I doubt anyone buys a Wrangler looking for speed.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I have driven EVs before. Yes, they are quick and they are quiet. But they have no place on top of a mountain range or in the middle of a desert. Not with the technology we have today at least.

I doubt anyone buys a Wrangler looking for speed.
Sure they do. Just as long as you are only going to the top and back and it's less than a couple hundred miles in total.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sure they do. Just as long as you are only going to the top and back and it's less than a couple hundred miles in total.
Off-roading is a low-efficiency activity. You normally get 8-9 MPG, aired down, in low range, crawling at 5 MPH, constantly spinning your wheels. An EV would run out of juice in a fraction of its range in those conditions. And then what...? Plug it to the camp fire?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
In 7 or 8 years when this will be coming out the technology will be completely different. People need to have a little vision.
Sponsored