Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The 2020 Dealer Customer Satisfaction rankings are out. And guess what, FCA dealers are ALL at the bottom. Once again...

Jeep Wrangler JL FCA just cancelled my warranty because of "aftermarket stuff" 63aca40d10b9428bac6bc215f65ecd72_720x960
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Are we talking about an extended warranty or the factory? Jeep legally can't "Cancel" your factory warranty (in the Untied States) for aftermarket parts, but they can refuse to fix anything that was caused by them (and when push comes to shove, you would have to prove the problem was not caused by the aftermarket).

Did you have the jeep re-programmed for the 37's?

i think its still on the factory warranty.

as for cancelling the warranty, theres a fine line as to what jeep consider as aftermarket. in the earlier years, jeep and dealership can just look the other way and fix it under warranty. in todays time jeep will look at everything and nick pick what aftermarket or not.

this is a bit off topic but when i had the 07 grand cherokee with the lifetime warranty, i came in on the 5 year inspection. the first thing the dealer said i didnt buy the jeep here. next, none of the maintence work was not done by jeep. ( all maintence is done on regular base ). then the dealer started busting my balls about the bull bar and off road light. (a common thing that every one add on) then the real kicker was the aftermarket tires and wheels. yes they are aftermarket, but i was running the same size as factory. no difference in size. the flagged me for aftermarkets stuff, etc. now the dealer at that point was aggravated with me and told me i was done and you will get a notification for the 5 year inspection (i got one for the first one) so i was like ok. the next inspection came up and didnt get a notification. realizing i was late. called a different dealer and they saw i missed the date. right there the warranty was cancelled / dropped. put in a fca claim and no luck.

so dealership can cancel and or refuse warranty work. if you put a claim in with fca, they will have guidelines that will make your head spin so fast that you wished to drop the whole thing.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
The dealer will be responsible for the mods, not the manufacturer. But what happens is that dealers get bought and sold frequently to different holding companies, without changing the name of the dealer. Take the vehicle back and complain about what the dealer added and they say that the new management has no responsibility for what the previous management added. This happened to me in the past.
but they should of looked at the sale in the data base and see it was modded by that dealer from that management. the new management should honor the work. but then again the new management will just take one look and denies your jeep just to avoid any headache.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
i think its still on the factory warranty.

as for cancelling the warranty, theres a fine line as to what jeep consider as aftermarket. in the earlier years, jeep and dealership can just look the other way and fix it under warranty. in todays time jeep will look at everything and nick pick what aftermarket or not.

this is a bit off topic but when i had the 07 grand cherokee with the lifetime warranty, i came in on the 5 year inspection. the first thing the dealer said i didnt buy the jeep here. next, none of the maintence work was not done by jeep. ( all maintence is done on regular base ). then the dealer started busting my balls about the bull bar and off road light. (a common thing that every one add on) then the real kicker was the aftermarket tires and wheels. yes they are aftermarket, but i was running the same size as factory. no difference in size. the flagged me for aftermarkets stuff, etc. now the dealer at that point was aggravated with me and told me i was done and you will get a notification for the 5 year inspection (i got one for the first one) so i was like ok. the next inspection came up and didnt get a notification. realizing i was late. called a different dealer and they saw i missed the date. right there the warranty was cancelled / dropped. put in a fca claim and no luck.

so dealership can cancel and or refuse warranty work. if you put a claim in with fca, they will have guidelines that will make your head spin so fast that you wished to drop the whole thing.
Yup. That’s how they do it.

It is key to keep this in mind when FCA sends you those fancy letters offering you an extended warranty.

Mine go straight in the trash. They ain’t worth the paper they are printed on.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
just to clarify post #32. jeep cant cancel the warranty work if you are stock. but once the mod starts thats where the $h!ts hits the fan. most dealers will not deal with it. however some dealers will work with you. and thats depends on where you are located. for example your modded jeep will not be touched in a area where 4 wheeling is not common. now if you are in a 4 wheeling paradise like moab, etc then there could be dealers that will cater to them. same goes for some moderate 4 wheeling areas. its all depends on the dealers views in servicing customers.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If 37's void a warranty, then why does Mopar (FCA) sell a kit to carry 37's?

https://www.mopar.com/content/dam/mopar/pdf/performance-catalogs/jeepperformancepartscatalog.pdf

From the Catalog:

Jeep Wrangler JL FCA just cancelled my warranty because of "aftermarket stuff" 63aca40d10b9428bac6bc215f65ecd72_720x960
It’s all in the fine print:

“Your warranties can also be restricted by FCA US LLC, as set forth in the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. If your New Vehicle Limited Warranty is restricted by FCA US LLC, coverage under your Mopar Parts and Accessories Limited Warranties may also be restricted or denied.”

and

“The addition of performance parts does not by itself void a vehicle’s warranty. However, added performance parts (parts not originally supplied on the vehicle from the factory) are not covered by the vehicle’s warranty, and any failure that they may cause is not covered by the vehicle’s warranty.”

OP
OP
Stormin’ Moorman

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
So when the problem started it was within the 36,000 mile factory warranty. But they took so long screwing around that my jeep now has 38,000 miles and is now under the extended warranty. That's why i took it to toyota, and would have sooner if no for the factory warranty being still in place.

My Jeep is modded, yes. And if something we did caused the issue I will pay for it like a big boy, no problem. What really bothers me as that Jeep spent 19 days at the dealership and no one put a wrench on it. 19 days. On day 19 I picked it up and brought it home where i crawled underneath it and made a video. You can clearly see the skid plates had not been removed so they never looked at the T-case or the FAD. I brought it back the next day malfunctioning and the mechanic told me he had done a laundry list of things to the Jeep, all of which were lies. I asked him several questions including how he checked the T-case fluid without removing the skid plate (metal cloak)? To that he responded by yelling at me that "we got ways to do things that you don't know about!" And i said please show me how you can check the T-case fluid without removing the skid plate because that would save me a lot of time in the future. He responded with "don't call me a fucking liar!" and ran off.

This is just one of many things that occurred to me during the last 45 days of dealing with these people. There's just not enough time to get into everything.

The truth is they don't know what's wrong with it, haven't tried to fix anything and are using the old "Aftermarket things" as an excuse for their ineptitude.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So when the problem started it was within the 36,000 mile factory warranty. But they took so long screwing around that my jeep now has 38,000 miles and is now under the extended warranty. That's why i took it to toyota, and would have sooner if no for the factory warranty being still in place.

My Jeep is modded, yes. And if something we did caused the issue I will pay for it like a big boy, no problem. What really bothers me as that Jeep spent 19 days at the dealership and no one put a wrench on it. 19 days. On day 19 I picked it up and brought it home where i crawled underneath it and made a video. You can clearly see the skid plates had not been removed so they never looked at the T-case or the FAD. I brought it back the next day malfunctioning and the mechanic told me he had done a laundry list of things to the Jeep, all of which were lies. I asked him several questions including how he checked the T-case fluid without removing the skid plate (metal cloak)? To that he responded by yelling at me that "we got ways to do things that you don't know about!" And i said please show me how you can check the T-case fluid without removing the skid plate because that would save me a lot of time in the future. He responded with "don't call me a fucking liar!" and ran off.

This is just one of many things that occurred to me during the last 45 days of dealing with these people. There's just not enough time to get into everything.

The truth is they don't know what's wrong with it, haven't tried to fix anything and are using the old "Aftermarket things" as an excuse for their ineptitude.
For future reference, if you bring a rig to a dealership for any kind of work you're gonna want to remove skid plates and the like yourself. Most dealerships aren't going to touch a rig that had to have a bunch of aftermarket stuff removed first. That doesn't at all excuse their behavior, but there's no way I'd drop my Jeep off at the dealer for warranty work with my aftermarket skids on. Not only do I not trust them to R and R my stuff properly, but I wouldn't expect them to not charge extra as well.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Perhaps you ought to reach out to FCA to extend your factory warranty under “extenuating circumstances,” given this pandemic and all.

OP
OP
Stormin’ Moorman

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
For future reference, if you bring a rig to a dealership for any kind of work you're gonna want to remove skid plates and the like yourself. Most dealerships aren't going to touch a rig that had to have a bunch of aftermarket stuff removed first. That doesn't at all excuse their behavior, but there's no way I'd drop my Jeep off at the dealer for warranty work with my aftermarket skids on. Not only do I not trust them to R and R my stuff properly, but I wouldn't expect them to not charge extra as well.
Yeah, live and learn

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stormin’ Moorman

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like the extended warranty was something everyone who planned any mods should have skipped.
My extended warranty is not Mopar, so there's still hope for that.

TDog W

First Name
TDog W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 Vette, 11 Sienna SE, 15 Challenger, 20 Punk'n Rubicon
Occupation
Chillin
After Freaking out hearing this news,,,I called FCA for my Challenger Lifetime Warranty,,and the man said the vehicles between 2007-2009 are required to do a 5 year inspection for their warranty . 2010 and up are only required to make sure that they are keeping up with the maintenance from the booklet that they gave you. for example like oil changes and routine maintenance to keep your car up to par. That is what He said..

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
@Stormin’ Moorman what do you mean "won't engage 4x4"?

It's a fully mechanical system (except for one thing) so there is no way the Jeep can stop you from using 4wd.

That "one thing" is the FAD. So just ditch that piece of crap, buy a 1 piece inner shaft (YA W38841) and disable all FAD related stuff with a tazer.

OP
OP
Stormin’ Moorman

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
@Stormin’ Moorman what do you mean "won't engage 4x4"?

It's a fully mechanical system (except for one thing) so there is no way the Jeep can stop you from using 4wd.

That "one thing" is the FAD. So just ditch that piece of crap, buy a 1 piece inner shaft (YA W38841) and disable all FAD related stuff with a tazer.
Well apparently if the shaft speed sensor doesn't match the ABS speed sensors, it won't engage. But I'm considering a work around if changing out all the sensors doesn't work

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Yeah, you've got to find a dealership that's mod-friendly, or if anything, is run by folks who understand some people actually use their Jeeps.

I got denied warranty work a couple times on one of my JKs at a local dealership for simply having scrapes and dents on my skidplate. That was it. They denied fixing things like a faulty windshield wiper motor and a recall on the evap canister because I took my vehicle with the word "Rubicon" affixed to the hood onto a road surface that didn't have pavement. The service manager was even dickish enough to literally note such "serious damage" in the paperwork.

I had to go to another dealership 30 miles out of town, but they took care of it without blinking an eye. It's a pain in the ass, but they're who I go to for any kind of work because the drive is less annoying than the bullshit I expect to get from the dealership mere minutes away.
Sponsored