Sponsored

Help! Is there much of a difference with a 33” vs 35” tire?

Watchtower02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I am considering putting either a 33 inch or a 35 inch tire on my 2019 jeep wrangler unlimited JL automatic. I would of course pair this with a lift. I’m curious if there will be much of a difference look wise, performance wise, and also wear wise in terms of how they will affect all other components of my jeep.

Thank you!
Sponsored

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
first of all is your Wrangler a Sport Sahara or Rubicon i guessing its a Sport or Sahara since the Rubicon comes with 33s. with 33s and the 3.45 gears you will not see much if any power loss and loss of braking. now with 35s you will see more power loss as in no 7th or 8th gear unless you are going downhill. and braking will take longer to stop. also gas mileage will suffer more, with 33s its about 2-3mpg gone with 35s you are looking at 5-7mpg loss. also weight don't buy E rated tires you are not hauling 15,000 RV behind you get either C rated if you are doing off-road or P rated if you are just staying on pavement. you need to remember the stock tires were like 42lbs +22 for the wheels that is 64lbs a new 33 tire will weight just about 55-60lbs+ the wheel at anywhere from 25-30lbs each those add up. you are in for a world of homework before you pick the right wheel and tire combo for the type of driving you do.

OP
OP

Watchtower02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I am looking at KO2 tires and
I am looking at KO2 tires in a 33” or 35”.

OP
OP

Watchtower02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
first of all is your Wrangler a Sport Sahara or Rubicon i guessing its a Sport or Sahara since the Rubicon comes with 33s. with 33s and the 3.45 gears you will not see much if any power loss and loss of braking. now with 35s you will see more power loss as in no 7th or 8th gear unless you are going downhill. and braking will take longer to stop. also gas mileage will suffer more, with 33s its about 2-3mpg gone with 35s you are looking at 5-7mpg loss. also weight don't buy E rated tires you are not hauling 15,000 RV behind you get either C rated if you are doing off-road or P rated if you are just staying on pavement. you need to remember the stock tires were like 42lbs +22 for the wheels that is 64lbs a new 33 tire will weight just about 55-60lbs+ the wheel at anywhere from 25-30lbs each those add up. you are in for a world of homework before you pick the right wheel and tire combo for the type of driving you do.
I have a 2019 Sahara Unlimted with automatic transmission and am looking at KO2 tires in a 33” or 35”...and with these wheels in 18”. What do you think in terms of power loss and difference in ride?
https://www.extremeterrain.com/blac...desert-sand-wheel-18x95-1895ary-85127d71.html

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I won't be much help because I have a shorter geared Rubicon, but I will say that there wasn't much felt loss in acceleration going from factory 285/70-17 (33's) ko2's to 315/70-17 (35's) ko2's. These are a relatively lightweight tire and I'm not a lead foot to begin with. Here's a visual comparison of the two sizes on an otherwise stock vehicle.
Jeep Wrangler JL Help! Is there much of a difference with a 33” vs 35” tire? 20190827_084948
Jeep Wrangler JL Help! Is there much of a difference with a 33” vs 35” tire? 20190827_132710

Sponsored

OP
OP

Watchtower02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I won't be much help because I have a shorter geared Rubicon, but I will say that there wasn't much felt loss in acceleration going from factory 285/70-17 (33's) ko2's to 315/70-17 (35's) ko2's. These are a relatively lightweight tire and I'm not a lead foot to begin with. Here's a visual comparison of the two sizes on an otherwise stock vehicle.
Jeep Wrangler JL Help! Is there much of a difference with a 33” vs 35” tire? 20190827_132710
Definitely looks like a larger tire to the naked eye in the picture. Looks good! Is it wider too? I believe so.
Also does your Jeep sit noticeably higher now with the larger tire?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely looks like a larger tire to the naked eye in the picture. Looks good! Is it wider too? I believe so.
Also does your Jeep sit noticeably higher now with the larger tire?
The factory 285 tire is considered 11.5" wide and the 315 is 12.5". The tire change alone was just enough to be noticed when getting in and out and while driving. Here's another comparison pic of the 33 mounted at 34psi and a loose 35.
Jeep Wrangler JL Help! Is there much of a difference with a 33” vs 35” tire? 20190816_173314

Reactions: zdr
OP
OP

Watchtower02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler

ScoobySnacks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beater, 2020 Sahara JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent advise by all above...

Jeep Wrangler JL Help! Is there much of a difference with a 33” vs 35” tire? 1590460577840

This is my Sahara with 35x12.5 KO2s on 18x9 rims with a Mopar 2" lift. The tires are closer to 34.5" in diameter. All KO2's for 18" rims are E rated. They are stiffer and heavier than C rated tires. This translates to a firmer on road ride. As for power loss, I can't speak to that yet because I'm only at 1200 miles and haven't really been above 4000 rpm. I'm doing an oil change at 1500 miles and will know more about the power loss then. I'm also not a lead foot. What I do know is that I haven't seen 8th gear...ever. Though, I do see 7th.

The Black Rhino wheels that you're looking at have a -18 offset so they will stick out front the wheel well more than mine (if memory serves mine are +1 offset). I don't have a picture from the front to see the width, but mine stick out about 1.25" -- eyeballing it. The 19 mm difference is about 3/4" so the Black Rhinos and KO2s may stick out about 2".

Something else to consider is the weight of the wheel on the tailgate. I think the total weight of my wheels are somewhere around 96 pounds (each). Too much weight for the tailgate without alternatives (1. Mopar or aftermarket reinforcement bracket & a relocation plate raising the wheel above the bumper, 2. aftermarket hinged tire carrier, or 3. tire carrier on the bumper).

I looked at the website for KO2s. The 33x12.5R18 are about 5 pounds less than the 35x12.5R18. Their true diameter is about 32.5 inches, so you're not gaining that much over stock (except in width).
https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tires/all-terrain/all-terrain-t-a-ko2.html

I hope this helps.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Watchtower02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Excellent advise by all above...

Jeep Wrangler JL Help! Is there much of a difference with a 33” vs 35” tire? 1590460577840

This is my Sahara with 35x12.5 KO2s on 18x9 rims with a Mopar 2" lift. The tires are closer to 34.5" in diameter. All KO2's for 18" rims are E rated. They are stiffer and heavier than C rated tires. This translates to a firmer on road ride. As for power loss, I can't speak to that yet because I'm only at 1200 miles and haven't really been above 4000 rpm. I'm doing an oil change at 1500 miles and will know more about the power loss then. I'm also not a lead foot. What I do know is that I haven't seen 8th gear...ever. Though, I do see 7th.

The Black Rhino wheels that you're looking at have a -18 offset so they will stick out front the wheel well more than mine (if memory serves mine are +1 offset). I don't have a picture from the front to see the width, but mine stick out about 1.25" -- eyeballing it. The 19 mm difference is about 3/4" so the Black Rhinos and KO2s may stick out about 2".

Something else to consider is the weight of the wheel on the tailgate. I think the total weight of my wheels are somewhere around 96 pounds (each). Too much weight for the tailgate without alternatives (1. Mopar or aftermarket reinforcement bracket & a relocation plate raising the wheel above the bumper, 2. aftermarket hinged tire carrier, or 3. tire carrier on the bumper).

I looked at the website for KO2s. The 33x12.5R18 are about 5 pounds less than the 35x12.5R18. Their true diameter is about 32.5 inches, so you're not gaining that much over stock (except in width).
https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tires/all-terrain/all-terrain-t-a-ko2.html

I hope this helps.
This is very helpful. I love the look of your Jeep. A few questions:

- Sounds like you don’t notice any power loss in low torque such as taking off at stop lights or stop signs. Passing cars. Situations where your pushing the gas pedal maybe half way. Not floored.

- How did youfind the offset for the beige Rhino wheels I mentioned above? I do t want the wheels to stick way out from the Jeep, so maybe they aren’t a good option?

- Looks like these wheels have an offset that would keep them closer to under the fender?
Check this out:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/blac...tte-gunmetal-wheel-18x8-1880war305127g71.html

Thank you!!

ScoobySnacks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beater, 2020 Sahara JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, sorry for the delay...work gets in the way too often (ha, ha).

- Sounds like you don’t notice any power loss in low torque such as taking off at stop lights or stop signs. Passing cars. Situations where your pushing the gas pedal maybe half way. Not floored.

From my limited knowledge, there is power loss, but not to the point where it’s dangerous — maybe at most annoying (lack of 8th gear type of annoying). Like I previously said, I avoid revving the engine too much during what I consider the break in period. By avoiding revs above 4000 rpm (mostly) I’m also keeping the engine out of its power band. That being said, I love the 8 speed transmission in the JL. The gearing in it helps with part throttle input.

- How did you find the offset for the beige Rhino wheels I mentioned above? I do t want the wheels to stick way out from the Jeep, so maybe they aren’t a good option?

Here’s the product page for the Black Rhino Armory wheels. Scroll down the page to find the wheel specs.
https://www.blackrhinowheels.com/off-road-wheels-rims-armory.php

- Looks like these wheels have an offset that would keep them closer to under the fender?
Check this out:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/blac...tte-gunmetal-wheel-18x8-1880war305127g71.html

I think the stock wheel offset is +45, so the Warlord wheels offset of +30 is just over 1/2 inch less offset. Though, it isn’t just the outside of the fender to think about. By adding tires that are up to 2.5 inches wider than stock, don’t forget to account for that towards the inside as well — to avoid any type of rubbing. This wheel (and offset) looks to be what you’re looking for.

+30 offset
Jeep Wrangler JL Help! Is there much of a difference with a 33” vs 35” tire? 1590539945350

-18 offset
Jeep Wrangler JL Help! Is there much of a difference with a 33” vs 35” tire? 1590540093734

Website where I got the data:
https://rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

There are other useful sites. Just search for wheel size calculator.

Sorry for the length. Again, hope this helps!

OP
OP

Watchtower02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Hey, sorry for the delay...work gets in the way too often (ha, ha).

From my limited knowledge, there is power loss, but not to the point where it’s dangerous — maybe at most annoying (lack of 8th gear type of annoying). Like I previously said, I avoid revving the engine too much during what I consider the break in period. By avoiding revs above 4000 rpm (mostly) I’m also keeping the engine out of its power band. That being said, I love the 8 speed transmission in the JL. The gearing in it helps with part throttle input.

- How did you find the offset for the beige Rhino wheels I mentioned above? I do t want the wheels to stick way out from the Jeep, so maybe they aren’t a good option?

Here’s the product page for the Black Rhino Armory wheels. Scroll down the page to find the wheel specs.
https://www.blackrhinowheels.com/off-road-wheels-rims-armory.php

Check this out:

I think the stock wheel offset is +45, so the Warlord wheels offset of +30 is just over 1/2 inch less offset. Though, it isn’t just the outside of the fender to think about. By adding tires that are up to 2.5 inches wider than stock, don’t forget to account for that towards the inside as well — to avoid any type of rubbing. This wheel (and offset) looks to be what you’re looking for.

+30 offset
Jeep Wrangler JL Help! Is there much of a difference with a 33” vs 35” tire? 1590540093734

-18 offset

Website where I got the data:
https://rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

There are other useful sites. Just search for wheel size calculator.

Sorry for the length. Again, hope this helps!
Thank you. Very helpful!!
Sponsored