Sponsored

2.0T eTorque vs Non eTorque? - anyone driven both?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The start stop is so quick it doesn’t bother me unlike my Alfa with the 2.0 and ESS. It’s very annoying and the lag time can be dangerous in my opinion.
A friend is considering a Alfa. How do you like it overall? How is the reliability, any issues? Is the service any better then at Jeep? Would you recommend one? Thanks.
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
A friend is considering a Alfa. How do you like it overall? How is the reliability, any issues? Is the service any better then at Jeep? Would you recommend one? Thanks.
It’s been a good vehicle but I do have a sound system unavailable light that they’ve tried to fix. Everything appears to work fine though. Not having a dipstick to measure the oil and adding oil a few oz at a time until the monitor updates five mins later are annoyances but small in the scope of things.

My wife drives it and we’re planning on trading it because the car is too delicate for her lol. Our roads aren’t that bad but rubber band profile handling oriented tires... she’s killing them. We’ve lost two in a month. Then she scraped the lower fascia on a curb. Yeah...we plan to pick up a Rubicon soon. Lol

It’s a fun, quick, go cart handling car though.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s been a good vehicle but I do have a sound system unavailable light that they’ve tried to fix. Everything appears to work fine though. Not having a dipstick to measure the oil and adding oil a few oz at a time until the monitor updates five mins later are annoyances but small in the scope of things.

My wife drives it and we’re planning on trading it because the car is too delicate for her lol. Our roads aren’t that bad but rubber band profile handling oriented tires... she’s killing them. We’ve lost two in a month. Then she scraped the lower fascia on a curb. Yeah...we plan to pick up a Rubicon soon. Lol

It’s a fun, quick, go cart handling car though.
Which model does your wife have? How long has she owned it? Congrats on the Rubicon. I own a Rubicon, LOVE IT!

My friend is considering the Stelvio SUV. She is seeing a quite a few very low milage used 1-2 year old models for pretty good savings over brand new. She figures she can buy a FCA extended warranty to cover her if she likes it and keeps it longer.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
I just picked up a 2020 JLU Rubicon Recon with 2.0L turbo charged 4cy and 70ft-lbs of eTorque electric hybrid turbo assist!

Also, the ESS doesn’t use the starter after the first start, the 48v system is so quiet starting that I’ve opted not to bypass the ESS.

26.6 MPG around town today isn’t too bad for a brick wall on wheels!

428CD66E-B1DE-4E2C-8EE3-CBA252D6EDE0.jpeg
What are you doing to get that mileage? I’m barely getting 18mpg in my new Recon.

BHo

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
What are you doing to get that mileage? I’m barely getting 18mpg in my new Recon.
Trying to stay off the turbo. Squeeze the throttle like an eggshell is underneath it. Also, it took a 1000 miles or so for the computer to adjust.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your mpg will get better as you drive more.

I have a 2 door Rubicon with the 2.0T eTorque.

Not sure why? Maybe rings wear in? My milage definitely started getting a lot better at around 3K-4K miles. I was getting around 17-18 mpg combined (80% city) until I hit around 3K-4K miles. I now get 20-21 mpg combined (80% city). I get as high as 26 mpg all highway with A/C on. Dead flat highway averaging 70-75 mph. All on summer blend gas. Winter blend and extra time to warm up knocks off 1-2 mpg.

I'd say that's pretty unbelievable for a Wrangler. Especially when you take into consideration how much power it makes. No past Wrangler is even close in terms of power and mpg. The diesel and PHEV might be a different story? I guess we will see soon.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Your mpg will get better as you drive more.

I have a 2 door Rubicon with the 2.0T eTorque.

Not sure why? Maybe rings wear in? My milage definitely started getting a lot better at around 3K-4K miles. I was getting around 17-18 mpg combined (80% city) until I hit around 3K-4K miles. I now get 20-21 mpg combined (80% city). I get as high as 26 mpg all highway with A/C on. Dead flat highway averaging 70-75 mph. All on summer blend gas. Winter blend and extra time to warm up knocks off 1-2 mpg.

I'd say that's pretty unbelievable for a Wrangler. Especially when you take into consideration how much power it makes. No past Wrangler is even close in terms of power and mpg. The diesel and PHEV might be a different story? I guess we will see soon.
I've owned BMW's in the past and it was the same with a new engine. Gas mileage and 0-60 times improved at/about the 5k miles. Modern engines/trans with tight manufacturing specs?

Looking forward to getting into a 2.0L eTorque sometime in the near future.

-Steven

Robertmkc

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Willys, 2019 JLUS
I might be late to this party, but we bought my wife a 2019 Sport S with the 2.0L eTorque on Saturday. I have a 2020 Willys without it. Both of ours are Unlimited, mostly the same options except for the Willys package on mine. There is a slight difference, definitely. Granted, I'm running MTs vs her street tires, but I can hammer down on the gas in hers and spin the tires with no problem. Once the turbo kicks in, they are pretty identical, though.

Donta1979

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 & 2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi there - i'm looking to either purchase a 19's 2.0 with the e-torque or order a 2020 with the 2.0T non-eTorque?. (as you cannot order the 2.0T with eTorque for 2020 only the V6) Does anyone have any experience driving both? (i know they are not very common)

I drove the V6 eTorque and non eTorque back to back. And my impression was that there was def an improvement with the eTorque. Specifically off the line acceleration (say for the first 3 seconds) was improved greatly and shifting was VERY smooth - no drop in torque. My guess is the little motor pics fills in the gaps.

So my hope is that the eTorque 2.0T would minimize turbo lag and then (in my eyes) you get the best of both worlds: the more powerful engine and the eTorque to fill in the gaps. (when i say more powerful engine i mean with a chip perhaps...it's easier to get more power from a turbo charged engine by far)

I have driven both 2.0T's with/without eTorque and we have both. The 2.0T with eTorque gets better gas mileage with bigger tires/wheels/lift and the initial acceleration it moves a lot easier vs our none eTorque 2020 Jeep 2.0T with bigger tires/wheels/lift. Have a 2020 JLU Sport and a 2018 JLU Sport. The MPG difference is really seen in city/stop and go traffic.

From talking to others those who got the 2020 JLUR's those do not have eTorque and it has not really affected gas mileage or the initial acceleration at all with bigger tires/wheels and or a lift.

If you want a Jeep Wrangler 2.0T with eTorque you have some options, buy an older model 2018-2019 that's sitting on the lot or buy a 2020 Sahara or a 2020 Rubicon Recon"The only 2020 Rubicon with eTorque".

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0T eTorque vs Non eTorque? - anyone driven both? 2

BHo

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the 2020 Recon and don’t have any regrets. 7,500 miles in 6 mo, tons or dirt roads and crawling, 37” tires and still moves along without regearing axles.

Sponsored

Deleted member 53226

lol, This technology is not going away. I looks as if it was removed from certain models for cost savings to push the 2.0T. Its a great set up so far and not sure why you would worry when there is a 8 year warranty on everything. Soon everything will be at least some form of mild hybrid.
This. Reading through this (very entertaining and informative) thread, anyone who thinks they are deftly avoiding etorque type motors and "battery coolant" are deluding themselves. This is just the start. Expensive battery packs employing liquid cooling are here, and here for good. They are plenty reliable. If a coolant line leaks, its not the end of the world. Just a fancy hose with antifreeze in it, like anything else.

In my opinion, Jeep had been testing the etorque system on all of us these past years on the 2.0 and found it a good reliable platform for (drumroll please) the true hybrid 4xe, which uses a 2.0 with etorque, and an addiitonal electric motor mounted to the transmission. Thus, the only reason Jeep removed etorque from their 2021 2.0 offerings was due to the fact the coming 4xe uses basically the same setup plus a bit more. Jeep did not want to take any chance a potential 4xe customer would be swayed away by a cheaper 2.0 etorque offering. Its all or nothing now. 4xe if you want a hybrid or a regular ole 2.0 with the clunkier alternator based ESS system.

Jeep put etorque on 3.6 in 2021 for one of two reasons. They are (most likely) going to phase out the V6, and are using these next couple years to perk up the engine a bit on the way out, OR they are again testing the system on a V6 to see how it goes. If good, they might keep it as an even more powerful hybrid. I doubt it, but who knows for sure but Jeep.

So everyone can pat themselves on the back for "dodging a bullet" with that 2021 non-etorque 2.0, but I can guarantee your next vehicle will use a similar etorque or hybrid system. I am sure in the future the same people will brag how smart they were for getting the hybrid.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
This. Reading through this (very entertaining and informative) thread, anyone who thinks they are deftly avoiding etorque type motors and "battery coolant" are deluding themselves. This is just the start. Expensive battery packs employing liquid cooling are here, and here for good. They are plenty reliable. If a coolant line leaks, its not the end of the world. Just a fancy hose with antifreeze in it, like anything else.

In my opinion, Jeep had been testing the etorque system on all of us these past years on the 2.0 and found it a good reliable platform for (drumroll please) the true hybrid 4xe, which uses a 2.0 with etorque, and an addiitonal electric motor mounted to the transmission. Thus, the only reason Jeep removed etorque from their 2021 2.0 offerings was due to the fact the coming 4xe uses basically the same setup plus a bit more. Jeep did not want to take any chance a potential 4xe customer would be swayed away by a cheaper 2.0 etorque offering. Its all or nothing now. 4xe if you want a hybrid or a regular ole 2.0 with the clunkier alternator based ESS system.

Jeep put etorque on 3.6 in 2021 for one of two reasons. They are (most likely) going to phase out the V6, and are using these next couple years to perk up the engine a bit on the way out, OR they are again testing the system on a V6 to see how it goes. If good, they might keep it as an even more powerful hybrid. I doubt it, but who knows for sure but Jeep.

So everyone can pat themselves on the back for "dodging a bullet" with that 2021 non-etorque 2.0, but I can guarantee your next vehicle will use a similar etorque or hybrid system. I am sure in the future the same people will brag how smart they were for getting the hybrid.
Over a gas engine the 4xe supposedly weighs 744 lbs more? That gives a lot of pause. I’ll take the eTorque version costing 50 lbs please. lol

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

I wonder where this leaves the 2-door. I doubt they'll ever get the 4xe's battery to fit, so that means the 2-door will either be stuck with the ESS, or they'll go back to the regular eTorque.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Let me see if I got this right. I buy a vehicle with the aero dynamics of a brick. When I get it home I rip off the plastic bumper, throw on a big metal bumper and that bad to the bone winch. Then I take off the small light street tires put a 4 inch lift, lockers, disconnects, and my brag factor 37 inch mudders on it to help with the aero dynamics of course. I then add some nice heavy rock sliders and a steel rear bumper along with the roof rack. Then I make sure I have 4.10 or lower gears and all the other goodies to make me look cool at the mall. Then I wonder which motor will give me better MPG as I take my super extremely 4 wheel drive capable monster to the dog park. I agree with Mfarr75 Very entertaining read
Sponsored