Sponsored

2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited ORDER GUIDE (4-Door)!

JeepJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Moab
Do people calculate their % off invoice before incentives or after? Right now my Sahara build looks like it's 11.5% off MSRP and 12.25% off invoice after Employee pricing discount and Rebate.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited ORDER GUIDE (4-Door)! 1590153310939
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Any update on the Diesel Rubicon (and 6100 GVW) being left out of the 4/17/20 guide?
I am about to place an order and was very disappointed to see that off the option lest. Perhaps it's just a temporary thing with the shut-down but hoping to get some definitive answers.
I'll find out about this today. I'm headed to my dealer after work to reorder my wife's Rubicon. We originally ordered 3/5 and then the shutdown. It's in D1 status now but we realized that the perforated leather seats actually downgrades the rest of the interior like the back seat and door panels. We are going to reorder with the standard leather.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Do people calculate their % off invoice before incentives or after? Right now my Sahara build looks like it's 11.5% off MSRP and 12.25% off invoice after Employee pricing discount and Rebate.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited ORDER GUIDE (4-Door)! 1590153310939
People normally state the percent off invoice after incentives are applied. But, incentives are applied to the MSRP. So, the selling price would be $45,291 or ~6.3% off invoice.

Later,
Johnny

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
1590153310939.png
You have some mathematical/logical errors here.
1. Why would you be paying $5924 under MSRP and $5924 under Invoice?
2. If you are paying $5924 under MSRP, then you are paying $3066 under Invoice, which is already $2858 under MSRP.
3. This would result in your Price After Discounts in the invoice column to be $45291 which will be your final price in both columns. You can't subtract the $4924 from the Invoice price again, as you already get $2858 of that when you go from MSRP to Invoice. The extra $3066 comes with the $1000 cash back and the additional percentages between Invoice and EP, which is around 4%

The final result of this is: Your Final Pricing for Invoice and MSRP after discounts will be the same. This results in a price approximately 6.34% below invoice, and 11.57% below MSRP.

Logic dictates that the percentage below invoice can never be greater than the percentage below MSRP when the MSRP is greater than the Invoice, as Invoice is already expressed as a percentage of MSRP.

The long and short: always use your bottom line number-final price before taxes and DMV fees, but include any dealer charges and fees, and any fees from Jeep to qualify for incentives. Then, simply divide the final price by the invoice price to get the percentage below invoice ($45291/$48357=.9366 or 6.34%) and do the same with MSRP ($45291/51215=.8843 or 11.57%, just as you gave).

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
The long and short: always use your bottom line number-final price before taxes and DMV fees, but include any dealer charges and fees, and any fees from Jeep to qualify for incentives.
I agree that's the way it should be viewed but most people on the forum seem to state their "percent off invoice" before the dealer fees are added. Makes it hard to compare apples to apples when a 7% deal in Florida is in reality a ~5% deal because the dealer adds back an EDP $1,000 document fee compared to the recommended dealer in Atlanta with a 7% deal and $600 document fee or even the dealer in Ellijay that doesn't charge any document fees.

Later,
Johnny

(Sorry, pet gripe of mine.)

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I agree that's the way it should be viewed but most people on the forum seem to state their "percent off invoice" before the dealer fees are added. Makes it hard to compare apples to apples when a 7% deal in Florida is in reality a ~5% deal because the dealer adds back an EDP $1,000 document fee compared to the recommended dealer in Atlanta with a 7% deal and $600 document fee or even the dealer in Ellijay that doesn't charge any document fees.

Later,
Johnny

(Sorry, pet gripe of mine.)
No need to apologize. I'm with you for the simple fact that we're all on here trying to help each other get the best deal, not necessarily the best price, so all factors should be taken into account. For me, a 7% below invoice deal in MD will be a better price than a 5% below deal in NY, but when you factor in the doc fees in NY are capped at $75 and the dealer might be 5 hours closer, the NY deal would be better in that scenario.
Many people on the forum are more concerned with showing off their great deal without disclosing the particulars, in order to get that "Wow! You got a great deal/You sure are smart!/I wish you could negotiate for me!" response, which is more important to them than providing real guidance and support to fellow forum members.

punktexas

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Ram Yamaha Santa Cruz
I don't see Bikini Pearl listed on the Jeep Recon build site. Wish I would have known it was being discontinued. Another reason for me to put off buying till 2021 colors are announced.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I don't see Bikini Pearl listed on the Jeep Recon build site. Wish I would have known it was being discontinued. Another reason for me to put off buying till 2021 colors are announced.
Don't see Bikini anywhere on the build site at all.

Sponsored

CG249

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
54 Chevy Truck
I have the opposite problem. On the Jeep build site I do see Sarge Green as available on a JLU Sport Altitude but 4 dealers have told me that color cannot be ordered on a JLUSA. makes me think that just because the website indicates a color is or is not available is not exactly accurate.

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
I have the opposite problem. On the Jeep build site I do see Sarge Green as available on a JLU Sport Altitude but 4 dealers have told me that color cannot be ordered on a JLUSA. makes me think that just because the website indicates a color is or is not available is not exactly accurate.
I think you’re right. I saw Punk’n listed on the build site for 2-3 months after it was discontinued for the 2020’s.

CJ555

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Jeep, YET!
When the dealer lowers the MSRP and offers employee pricing, etc,....does that also affect / lower the invoice pricing as well? (Say if MSRP was 50000 and Invoice was 46000,....would the discounted MSRP of 47000 also lower the 46000 of the invoice?) -- I hope that makes sense?!!

For example if I wanted to lease and knew a dealer who offered 5% off invoice, should I expect a better deal if the MSRP was lowered? Or would I basically still be getting standard invoice pricing and hope it is better or same as "Employee Pricing" or whatever deal off MSRP they are offering at the time?
I assume since lease pricing usually does not include any incentives, the "MSRP discount" possibly would not affect the price anyway,... -- UNLESS of course it does ALSO lower the Invoice pricing?

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
When the dealer lowers the MSRP and offers employee pricing, etc,....does that also affect / lower the invoice pricing as well? (Say if MSRP was 50000 and Invoice was 46000,....would the discounted MSRP of 47000 also lower the 46000 of the invoice?) -- I hope that makes sense?!!

For example if I wanted to lease and knew a dealer who offered 5% off invoice, should I expect a better deal if the MSRP was lowered? Or would I basically still be getting standard invoice pricing and hope it is better or same as "Employee Pricing" or whatever deal off MSRP they are offering at the time?
I assume since lease pricing usually does not include any incentives, the "MSRP discount" possibly would not affect the price anyway,... -- UNLESS of course it does ALSO lower the Invoice pricing?
Invoice pricing is a fixed price, just as MSRP is a fixed price. When manufacturers offer an incentive for dealers to go below MSRP, that has no effect on the invoice per se, but the dealer could choose to go further below invoice than he would otherwise be comfortable doing, as he's getting a greater subsidy from the manufacturer to move a unit.
The bottom line always remains the same: try to get the lowest total cost (not necessarily price). If you get too fixated on MSRP or invoice, you fall into a trap like focusing on a payment instead of a total cost (which is even more common when leasing).
Employee pricing is around 4% below invoice price, which makes it a pretty solid starting point for negotiation when it's being offered from the manufacturer. This means the dealer is being subsidized to the tune of 4%+ to move the unit. This does shift the whole pricing scale downward, so you should be thinking about going 2-4 percentage points below that, which would be in the 6-8% below invoice range.

Last edited:

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I think you’re right. I saw Punk’n listed on the build site for 2-3 months after it was discontinued for the 2020’s.
This happens because the build site is focused on selling dealer inventory, not custom builds. You go to the site, find what's available and search for the best match on a local lot.
This is what makes the Bikini missing seem like a glitch. Punk'n was still there after it was discontinued because it was still in inventory. Bikini must still be in inventory in decent numbers, unless dealers just weren't ordering it as part of their allotment. This is a possibility, as you simply don't see many Bikini JLs out there.
Additionally, there is no way Sarge has been discontinued. More likely it's on restriction due to supplier or quality issues.
Sponsored