Rear Axle Replace on Rubicon for Flashing Locker Light

Nordy

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Blue
It seems like a fairly common problem, which makes me wonder why it's taking the dealership so long to diagnose the problem (I've been waiting for 8 days). They decided to give me a loaner yesterday, so at least I'm not on foot.
I'm sure they don't have a clue what the issue is and it seems to work when they turn off the check lock light so they have issues replicating the issue. I'm pretty sure they don't have the correct tools or knowledge base to correct the issue, to me it seems like something in the CAN communication would be triggering this and if that's the case i'm not sure the dealership has that level of tools to read all the coms on the CAN network. However I'm just speculating as traditionally hardware failures are pretty easy to pinpoint, software not so much.
Sponsored

wranglermex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr JL Rubicon
Dealership says they have to replace the rear diff. Apparently they don't know what causes the problem, so what are the odds the replacement part will have the same problem in a few thousand miles? Sounds to me like FCA is just crossing its fingers, hoping some of these diffs make it out of warranty....

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Spoke with the dealership yesterday. The axle won’t be in until the 27th. They did finally give me a loaner. (Dodge caravan). I’m ready for this to be over.
Dropping my JLUR off to the dealer Friday afternoon. Rear locked light coming on at highway speeds only then turns back off shortly after that.
Hi Brad and Drew,
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this as well. If you need any assistance while working with your dealers, please feel free to send us a PM.
Alex
JeepCares

wranglermex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr JL Rubicon
16 days at the dealership and counting. The dealer had promised to have it ready to go today because I am going out of town tomorrow. Just got a call saying they'll have it ready by the time I'm back (the point of the trip was to hit some trails in the new jeep). I was doing some math today. My JLR has been in the dealership for 15% of the days I have owned it. It was only 90 days old when this started. Pathetic for any new vehicle, let alone one that costs $50k.

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
Week 3 of the Jeep at the dealership. Axle was supposed to come in Wednesday, now they’re saying 12/4. Must be a hard part to come by.

Sponsored

mpogca

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker Red JLU RUBICON
Wranglermex and Brad41,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I had the same issue and after a couple of trips to the dealer they also said I needed a new rear end. However they replaced the diff fluid and told me I could drive it until the replacement came in. I drove it for another couple of weeks waiting on parts. Once the rear end arrived I took to the dealership and they provided a rental while in the shop. Maybe you could ask if you could do this, I know it is a bi**h not having your jeep.

Good luck.

Oh, PS I am now waiting on Parts for the UConnect that hasn't worked since new and my drivers side sun visor broke and waiting on parts. Never ending...

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
Week 3 of the Jeep at the dealership. Axle was supposed to come in Wednesday, now they’re saying 12/4. Must be a hard part to come by.

Well, after over a month at the dealership, The new rear end was installed, and I picked it up last Tuesday. Happy to report no locker fault after about 100 miles. Fingers crossed...

DellCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Clearly Jeep has a problem... going to pick up mine after the SECOND rear-end replacement inside of 2 months! Same thing - rear locker light blinking --> rear axle replacement. Seems a bit insane to have it be so frequent without having the part re-worked by Jeep. Parts replaced: CH68416518-AA; CH68401895 - TWICE! Oh yea, my USB data frequently doesn't work on UConnect (power only) & my volume control intermittently goes out - but the dealer can't replicate those issues (of course). 2 more months & I'll have 1 year in this Jeep with over 8 visits for warranty repairs! :)

Last edited:

pb9

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
Brought mine in for the same issue (outside of Phoenix, AZ), and the dealer kept it for 4 days, found nothing (did see the problem at least), but tech support told them this was the first time they've heard of it and then went dark for 48 hours and never responded back to the dealership on next steps. I picked the jeep up with the light still on and the problem still existing, but FCA tech support has not been engaging with the dealer and the service advisor is clueless. I had to literally show him the items online in the Jeep forums. He refuses do any sort of troubleshooting or work unless the tech support staff tell him to. Ridiculous. 8k miles and can't even take it off road.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Brought mine in for the same issue (outside of Phoenix, AZ), and the dealer kept it for 4 days, found nothing (did see the problem at least), but tech support told them this was the first time they've heard of it and then went dark for 48 hours and never responded back to the dealership on next steps. I picked the jeep up with the light still on and the problem still existing, but FCA tech support has not been engaging with the dealer and the service advisor is clueless. I had to literally show him the items online in the Jeep forums. He refuses do any sort of troubleshooting or work unless the tech support staff tell him to. Ridiculous. 8k miles and can't even take it off road.
Hi @pb9!

We have received your private message regarding this concern and have requested a few more details from you so that we can escalate a case on your behalf while your Jeep is in service for this.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

nickharder

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
ANNNNND, yet another person with this problem! I just rolled over 1,000 MILES ONLY too! My problem is the same as the rest, however, it just started happening at the end of my 5-hour drive from LA (home) to Monterey where I will be visiting for the long weekend. My concern is CAN I DRIVE THIS HOME on the highway for 5 hours SAFELY? This sucks...

DellCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
ANNNNND, yet another person with this problem! I just rolled over 1,000 MILES ONLY too! My problem is the same as the rest, however, it just started happening at the end of my 5-hour drive from LA (home) to Monterey where I will be visiting for the long weekend. My concern is CAN I DRIVE THIS HOME on the highway for 5 hours SAFELY? This sucks...
I certainly can't assume your problem is the same as mine - but both times I experienced the issue they offered to let me drive it home while they waited for the part to come in. They said it was safe to drive. Hope you find a dealer that's willing to get on it right away!

nickharder

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I certainly can't assume your problem is the same as mine - but both times I experienced the issue they offered to let me drive it home while they waited for the part to come in. They said it was safe to drive. Hope you find a dealer that's willing to get on it right away!
Good to know! Thank you!

DellCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Good to know! Thank you!
No problem! Another note, both times it happened to me I was going highway speeds (or a bit faster) when the light popped on. Assuming you have the same problem (sounds like you do), it should be fine to drive on (although a bit nerve racking). Good luck!

nickharder

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
No problem! Another note, both times it happened to me I was going highway speeds (or a bit faster) when the light popped on. Assuming you have the same problem (sounds like you do), it should be fine to drive on (although a bit nerve racking). Good luck!
Yeah that's when it happened to me, going around a bend; about 55mph. Certainly nerve-racking.
Sponsored