First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'll be ordering my Diesel in six weeks, but for now I'm living vicariously through you folks. Has anyone done an early oil change yet? On the Pentastar (especially with Fumoto) it's a breeze. How is the accessibility on the Diesel?
Sponsored

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
I'll be ordering my Diesel in six weeks, but for now I'm living vicariously through you folks. Has anyone done an early oil change yet? On the Pentastar (especially with Fumoto) it's a breeze. How is the accessibility on the Diesel?
I would be shocked it anyone has put 10,000 miles on a diesel yet. The suggested interval for changing the oil is 10,000 or every year. I would be surprised if anyone is doing it...usually the dealer has free oil changes for the first couple of years I thought. Why do it if it is free?

Don't know why anyone would prematurally change the oil?

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
"Why do it if it is free?"

If I perform the oil change myself (which I do), I can be certain a high-quality oil, full synthetic is used - as well as a good oil filter. That peace of mind is worth more to me than a free oil change.

Hunter

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would be shocked it anyone has put 10,000 miles on a diesel yet. The suggested interval for changing the oil is 10,000 or every year. I would be surprised if anyone is doing it...usually the dealer has free oil changes for the first couple of years I thought. Why do it if it is free?

Don't know why anyone would prematurally change the oil?
It may be an old wives tale, but I believe that more frequent oil changes are beneficial - or, at least can't hurt. My dad always said it was the cheapest insurance you can buy. Also, I always perform an initial oil change at 1,000 miles.

Am I the only one left who "over" changes his oil? Are people planning to go the full 10,000 miles?

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
It may be an old wives tale, but I believe that more frequent oil changes are beneficial - or, at least can't hurt. My dad always said it was the cheapest insurance you can buy. Also, I always perform an initial oil change at 1,000 miles.

Am I the only one left who "over" changes his oil? Are people planning to go the full 10,000 miles?
I have run synthetic oil in all of my cars and never change the oil sooner than recommended. I have had 2 other diesels and none of my vehicles have burned or had any oil related issues. I do follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedules and never had an issue.

Most had well over 200K miles when I sold them. I prepay maintenance on both of my Mercedes and don't change anything myself. One is a diesel and they add Bludef everytime they do maintenance.

A buddy of mine owns several oil change shops and he changes my other vehicles. He has told me there is not real benefit to changing oil sooner than recommended than him making more money.

At one point, another shop told me that synthetic needed to be changed every year because if breaks down as it ages...when I asked him what the date the synthetic oil was manufactured so I made sure he put fresh new oil in my vehicle...he didn't know what to say. It is easy to say it goes bad, but when you ask him how old his synthetic oil was it caught him in a bit of a lie.

If you think it works for you I don't think there is much of a problem. They only risk is putting a oil drain plug or putting an oil filter on wrong. Not much of a risk.

This is a "To each his own" don't think it is wrong...just what ever makes you sleep better at night.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have run synthetic oil in all of my cars and never change the oil sooner than recommended. I have had 2 other diesels and none of my vehicles have burned or had any oil related issues. I do follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedules and never had an issue.

Most had well over 200K miles when I sold them. I prepay maintenance on both of my Mercedes and don't change anything myself. One is a diesel and they add Bludef everytime they do maintenance.

A buddy of mine owns several oil change shops and he changes my other vehicles. He has told me there is not real benefit to changing oil sooner than recommended than him making more money.

At one point, another shop told me that synthetic needed to be changed every year because if breaks down as it ages...when I asked him what the date the synthetic oil was manufactured so I made sure he put fresh new oil in my vehicle...he didn't know what to say. It is easy to say it goes bad, but when you ask him how old his synthetic oil was it caught him in a bit of a lie.

If you think it works for you I don't think there is much of a problem. They only risk is putting a oil drain plug or putting an oil filter on wrong. Not much of a risk.

This is a "To each his own" don't think it is wrong...just what ever makes you sleep better at night.
Can't disagree with anything you've said. That said, all things being equal, I'd rather buy a used vehicle that's had oil changes every 3,000 miles than one that used a 10,000 mile interval. Just like hydroxychloroquine, not scientifically proven, but what can it hurt? [kidding]

Plus...I enjoy changing the oil. :)

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
Can't disagree with anything you've said. That said, all things being equal, I'd rather buy a used vehicle that's had oil changes every 3,000 miles than one that used a 10,000 mile interval. Just like hydroxychloroquine, not scientifically proven, but what can it hurt? [kidding]

Plus...I enjoy changing the oil. :)
I don't think there is any harm in it...as long as your not morbidly obese! Lol! Then hydroxychloroquine could be a problem if you are not a doctor and decide to make a public statement about something you don't know anything about. Then you would be a politician...but nice to see someone is generally concerned for the President that is a Democrat!:CWL:

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
"Why do it if it is free?"

If I perform the oil change myself (which I do), I can be certain a high-quality oil, full synthetic is used - as well as a good oil filter. That peace of mind is worth more to me than a free oil change.

Hunter
Free is a relative term...clearly they are "free" but one thing for sure...if they are the only ones touching it, then they are the only ones to blame.

Oil shops where I live put in exactly what I tell them...who does it means very little. They use the oil filter I provide. I don't think I pour oil in or put a filter on better than anyone else...frankly it is really an unskilled job you could teach a monkey to do.

Using the right oil and oil filter is what you have to make sure is done right. I stand next to them when they do the change...so it works for me and I don't have to deal with the oil an filter.

I support a local business and right now that means a lot. At least for me, but again it is a personal choice.

rcliff1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 tj, 2014 Mustang GT, 2017 Ford F350 Dually, 2020 Diesel Rubicon on order
Just hit 5K miles, its fixing to get its first oil change. No way ill go 10k miles between changes. I'm way to old school......lol

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Okay, so we've had some congenial debate over our oil change frequency, but I still don't have an answer to my original question. By my count we've had dozens of Diesels delivered. Not one of you has changed your oil yet?

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Okay, so we've had some congenial debate over our oil change frequency, but I still don't have an answer to my original question. By my count we've had dozens of Diesels delivered. Not one of you has changed your oil yet?
I am only at 850 miles. But I will probably get the oil change done by 6000-7000 miles.
The Diesel Supplement manual says (Page 33):
"NOTE:
Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or 12 months, whichever comes first."

Piteco

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n Rubicon 2020 Diesel
Currently at 1,500 miles. I'm aiming for 6 months or 7,000 miles.

I'll be using the dealership for oil changes. The 4 free ones and all the way up to the end of my 8 years Mopar Max Care. If anything happens with this new EcoDiesel, I want it on record that they are the only ones doing the maintenance on it.

Sosos68

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon EcoDiesel. 2014 Porsche 991, 2014 vw Touareg tdi, 2005 Mercedes 320 CDI, 1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4.
Occupation
Sales
I changed the oil at 1000 miles,very easy .

Reactions: WVB
OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I changed the oil at 1000 miles,very easy .
I thought I’d read something about poor access to the filter. No issues there? That’s my only concern.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
Currently at 1,500 miles. I'm aiming for 6 months or 7,000 miles.

I'll be using the dealership for oil changes. The 4 free ones and all the way up to the end of my 8 years Mopar Max Care. If anything happens with this new EcoDiesel, I want it on record that they are the only ones doing the maintenance on it.
I suspect most of my choking emission stuff will rust and fall off long before 8 years. :CWL:
Sponsored