Sponsored

Genesis Dual Battery Mod - Any Regrets???

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Hey there...

Any of you that have installed the Genesis dual battery system... do you have any regrets for doing so, or noticed any nagging problems that arose once the rig was installed?

I am about to rig my new Willys for camping and road-tripping (I won't profane "overlanding" with what I will do - yet), and will have a fridge and lights and tunes to power in the evenings.

I also don't trust the craptastic OEM mini-dork-battery setup to not fizzle on me. I am on the fence over the dual batteries or just going with a mobile power bank and leaving the OEM as is to tempt fate.

Thoughts????
Sponsored

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Hey there...

Any of you that have installed the Genesis dual battery system... do you have any regrets for doing so, or noticed any nagging problems that arose once the rig was installed?

I am about to rig my new Willys for camping and road-tripping (I won't profane "overlanding" with what I will do - yet), and will have a fridge and lights and tunes to power in the evenings.

I also don't trust the craptastic OEM mini-dork-battery setup to not fizzle on me. I am on the fence over the dual batteries or just going with a mobile power bank and leaving the OEM as is to tempt fate.

Thoughts????
I am a NOOB I wouldn’t weigh your decision much on my feedback. I heard others having isssues with the Genesis system specifcally those with the auto stop start. It seemed like a non issue BUT. I don’t think I was ready so early in the life of the vehicle to dive under the hood fearing repercussions from the dealer should I have an issue with electronics.

I am knee deep in an alternate solution. I purchased the American Adventure platform, fridge slide and under it their ARB battery compressor mount. (drops into the rear cubby) I don’t have any intentions of putting the compressor In the cubby, I have another spot in mind. I am using the extra space next to the battery for a Blue Sea electrical block, circuit breakers and a 1225D Redarc battery manager.

I intend to run a fridge, exterior lights, compressor and charging station out of the gate off it.

Last edited:

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to get the Genisis Dual Battery Kit and have it on the list of upcoming additions but I keep pushing it back because of the issues others have reported with ESS or other issues. I have run my ARB fridge for a week, with a few start-ups every couple days, off of the battery that came with the Jeep in the charging port in the cargo area without issue. I am leaning more towards a portable charging station like a Jackery at this time.

OP
OP
GrumpyBadger

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wanted to get the Genisis Dual Battery Kit and have it on the list of upcoming additions but I keep pushing it back because of the issues others have reported with ESS or other issues. I have run my ARB fridge for a week, with a few start-ups every couple days, off of the battery that came with the Jeep in the charging port in the cargo area without issue. I am leaning more towards a portable charging station like a Jackery at this time.
Hmmm... I seem to have missed people reporting issues specifically with the Genesis setup and ESS in all the noise of many people hating the fact the stupid system exists in the first place and seems to be finicky. But yes, that is exactly my concern - and why I'd like a little confirmation of the dual batts being OK.

I'd rather not have a power bank rolling around in the jeep (and they all have their downside sucky issues - not one seems to rise to the top as virtually perfect, in my view; Jackery's are real close, but I dislike their inconveniently bulky handle shape and can't get past that) and I am reluctant to try to tackle a house battery install with requisite separate charge controller, etc. etc. etc.

***sigh***

Last edited:
OP
OP
GrumpyBadger

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am a NOOB I wouldn’t weigh your decision much on my feedback. I heard others having isssues with the Genesis system specifcally those with the auto stop start. It seemed like a non issue BUT. I don’t think I was ready so early in the life of the vehicle to dive under the hood fearing repercussions from the dealer should I have an issue with electronics.
Based on your comment I went back to try some other search terms (I seem to really suck at picking any search terms regardless of search engine). I have since found a different, and quite obvious, thread that discusses your point extensively. :facepalm:

Since I dislike and disable ESS anyway, I am quite content that the thing eats itself as long as it doesn't a) damage anything; and b) doesn't stop me from driving. You have given me a new rabbit hole to investigate, so I will move on for now... still leaning to the dual, but may settle for the power bank for a shorter-term solution - though they ain't cheap either.

Eventually buying both to get to the optimal solution is a bit of a bite in the wallet!!!. However, I am hoping to salvage something of this weird year and get some camping and a CO high country trip in, so I need to pull the trigger on something!

Thanks for the inputs! :captain:

Sponsored

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Based on your comment I went back to try some other search terms (I seem to really suck at picking any search terms regardless of search engine). I have since found a different, and quite obvious, thread that discusses your point extensively. :facepalm:

Since I dislike and disable ESS anyway, I am quite content that the thing eats itself as long as it doesn't a) damage anything; and b) doesn't stop me from driving. You have given me a new rabbit hole to investigate, so I will move on for now... still leaning to the dual, but may settle for the power bank for a shorter-term solution - though they ain't cheap either.

Eventually buying both to get to the optimal solution is a bit of a bite in the wallet!!!. However, I am hoping to salvage something of this weird year and get some camping and a CO high country trip in, so I need to pull the trigger on something!

Thanks for the inputs! :captain:
ill send you a few photos once everything is wired up. Hopefully done in 2 weeks., I’m slow.

OP
OP
GrumpyBadger

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ill send you a few photos once everything is wired up. Hopefully done in 2 weeks., I’m slow.
Cool... thanks. In two weeks I SHOULD be in the Boundary Waters "salvaging" something of this year as desired... so if I don't reply right away I am hopefully catching walleyes!

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Here is what I did, its nearly complete. I have to wire the momentary button and add a LCD monitor soon. I contacted REDARC wanted to be able to jump start the vehicle if necessary from the AUX battery. Here is a link to their wiring diagram. https://www.redarc.com.au/wiring-diagrams/the-ultimate-dual-battery-setup

All the wires were run through the vehicle, not zip tied to the underside OR through the frame at the wheel well.

The drawer, platform and ARB compressor mount are from American Adventure Labs. The ARB compressor will go elsewhere, I used the space for the fuses, isolator and Redarc.

Lots of credit goes to others, I pieced everything together based on ideas from the community.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

IMG_2626.jpg

IMG_2636.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2658.jpg

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I do remember reading on here that there is a different wiring set up for the Genesis battery setup...... I will see if i can find it.... i liked that set up that was shown on here....

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Here is what I did, its nearly complete. I have to wire the momentary button and add a LCD monitor soon. I contacted REDARC wanted to be able to jump start the vehicle if necessary from the AUX battery. Here is a link to their wiring diagram. https://www.redarc.com.au/wiring-diagrams/the-ultimate-dual-battery-setup

All the wires were run through the vehicle, not zip tied to the underside OR through the frame at the wheel well.

The drawer, platform and ARB compressor mount are from American Adventure Labs. The ARB compressor will go elsewhere, I used the space for the fuses, isolator and Redarc.

Lots of credit goes to others, I pieced everything together based on ideas from the community.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Jeep Wrangler JL Genesis Dual Battery Mod - Any Regrets??? IMG_2658

Sumerian, I am doing the rear battery from AAL as well. I have a question for you...what are you using for you switch panel for the items being powered by the AUX battery. Once it leaves the ATC fuse box do you then wire to an sPOD or something?
Electrical makes no sense to me so this is going to be a learning experience.

Sponsored

USAFREODRetired

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've had my Genesis Dual Battery Kit installed in my JLUR for almost 18 months now, and can honestly say I'm not sure it's the way to go.

I do not want a secondary battery taking up mass and cube in the back. Period.

I purchased their system with two Full River AGM Group 25s, and had issues the first winter with my cranking battery. It would die after a week in the parking garage at Denver International in the cold weather. Had to get jumped almost every time. My trips were always <5 days. Genesis' response was that it was my problem, there was some issue with parasitic load in my Jeep. Interestingly my OEM battery never had this problem...

Then I installed my fridge and a dedicated circuit from the aux for the Dometic (kit purchased again from Genesis). When I did this, I also swapped positions for the two Full River Group 25s on my suspicion that I got Chinese QA'd again. Reseated my breaker panel. Did the "Big 3" upgrade. I'm at the point now where the Full River Aux batt can't even keep the Dometic powered overnight, it's a total joke.

When I'm driving and the system SHOULD be charging, it seems clear that the cranking battery is charging, then the IBS drops the voltage down below 13V, but the aux battery never seems to charge. The Dometic monitor app never shows power going to the aux batt.

I've ordered two Odessy replacement batts hoping that USA sourcing will prove superior to Chinese imports, yet again (but one of the Odessys was damaged in transit, and yet again Genesis tells me to go find a battery tester or deal with Odessy warrantee - so why buy from them?) I have little faith this will resolve my underlying issue that the aux batt just doesn't charge on their system. Genesis is quick to blame other issues, and send me on wild goose chases with troubleshooting, but plainly put, the system isn't working for me.

I'm waiting for someone to come up with the ultimate package of a LifePO4 that has an operating range of -20 - +195 and has the DC charger included. Then I'll ditch the Genesis ASAP. Neither happy nor impressed with Genesis Offroad.

YMMV.

tjeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 TJ, '24 392
I'm sorry to hear about your issues. I have the Genesis system with Fullriver batteries. It's been installed for about 8 months now. I can't troubleshoot your system, but I might be able to add some data points to help. Something doesn't sound quite right.

I have had a parasitic draw in my Jeep since I bought it. If I left it much longer than a week without driving I couldn't start it. That was one reason I bought the Genesis system. The other reason is I have a fridge. I have been on multiple trips with it connected to the starter battery, never had a problem starting the next day. But a little insurance never hurt right?

I installed the Genesis system, and after some issues (documented in other threads) I got it to work. Has worked fine since. I have the G screen, so I can see the parasitic draw on my starter battery, especially if I haven't driven it in several days, but the aux battery has never gone below 12.6. The only things connected to my aux battery are switched- fridge, winch, lights, compressor etc. Everything is off and the battery does not drop in voltage. So either your install is incorrect, or something connected to your aux battery is drawing down the power. I would let it sit and check it daily with a voltmeter. The voltage should not be dropping.

The charging issue should be the opposite. When the starter battery gets above 12.7 the batteries should be connected and both have the same voltage. Have you checked this with a voltmeter? If not like you said, it sounds like an install issue.

Genesis Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 JK Rubicon, '18 JL Rubicon, '21 JT Rubicon
I've had my Genesis Dual Battery Kit installed in my JLUR for almost 18 months now, and can honestly say I'm not sure it's the way to go.

I do not want a secondary battery taking up mass and cube in the back. Period.

I purchased their system with two Full River AGM Group 25s, and had issues the first winter with my cranking battery. It would die after a week in the parking garage at Denver International in the cold weather. Had to get jumped almost every time. My trips were always <5 days. Genesis' response was that it was my problem, there was some issue with parasitic load in my Jeep. Interestingly my OEM battery never had this problem...

Then I installed my fridge and a dedicated circuit from the aux for the Dometic (kit purchased again from Genesis). When I did this, I also swapped positions for the two Full River Group 25s on my suspicion that I got Chinese QA'd again. Reseated my breaker panel. Did the "Big 3" upgrade. I'm at the point now where the Full River Aux batt can't even keep the Dometic powered overnight, it's a total joke.

When I'm driving and the system SHOULD be charging, it seems clear that the cranking battery is charging, then the IBS drops the voltage down below 13V, but the aux battery never seems to charge. The Dometic monitor app never shows power going to the aux batt.

I've ordered two Odessy replacement batts hoping that USA sourcing will prove superior to Chinese imports, yet again (but one of the Odessys was damaged in transit, and yet again Genesis tells me to go find a battery tester or deal with Odessy warrantee - so why buy from them?) I have little faith this will resolve my underlying issue that the aux batt just doesn't charge on their system. Genesis is quick to blame other issues, and send me on wild goose chases with troubleshooting, but plainly put, the system isn't working for me.

I'm waiting for someone to come up with the ultimate package of a LifePO4 that has an operating range of -20 - +195 and has the DC charger included. Then I'll ditch the Genesis ASAP. Neither happy nor impressed with Genesis Offroad.

YMMV.

I'm sorry to hear you've had some difficulties with your system, that's certainly not the experience we want to hear.

I (Shane) am not familiar with the whole situation, it sounds like you've been talking with Mike over here. I know electrical issues can be very frustrating and make you want to pull your hair out. There could be a number of different things causing your symptoms. Mike is very good at digging down to find the root of the problem, but it just takes gathering some additional info to get there.

Based on the little bit of info I see here, I suspect your alternator is seeing the batteries are fully charged, and then turning down its output, which it does in order to try to save a drop or two of gas. The issue though is that if the alternator's output drops below 12.7v, then our smart isolator will separate the batteries and the fridge will continue to draw down the aux battery while you are driving.

We have addressed this issue with the factory smart alternator dropping its output with our brand new Gen 3 Power Hub. This system has an optional engine-on sensor, which we highly recommend for the JL and JT because of this issue. This sensor will tell our system that the engine is running, and it will not separate the batteries while you are driving. You can see more details about how that works in this brief overview video. If you would like to upgrade your current system to the new Gen 3 Power Hub, here's the link for the upgrade -

https://www.genesisoffroad.com/Gen-3-Power-Hub-for-Group-25-Kits_p_257.html

USAFREODRetired

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm sorry to hear you've had some difficulties with your system, that's certainly not the experience we want to hear.

I (Shane) am not familiar with the whole situation, it sounds like you've been talking with Mike over here. I know electrical issues can be very frustrating and make you want to pull your hair out. There could be a number of different things causing your symptoms. Mike is very good at digging down to find the root of the problem, but it just takes gathering some additional info to get there.

Based on the little bit of info I see here, I suspect your alternator is seeing the batteries are fully charged, and then turning down its output, which it does in order to try to save a drop or two of gas. The issue though is that if the alternator's output drops below 12.7v, then our smart isolator will separate the batteries and the fridge will continue to draw down the aux battery while you are driving.

We have addressed this issue with the factory smart alternator dropping its output with our brand new Gen 3 Power Hub. This system has an optional engine-on sensor, which we highly recommend for the JL and JT because of this issue. This sensor will tell our system that the engine is running, and it will not separate the batteries while you are driving. You can see more details about how that works in this brief overview video. If you would like to upgrade your current system to the new Gen 3 Power Hub, here's the link for the upgrade -

https://www.genesisoffroad.com/Gen-3-Power-Hub-for-Group-25-Kits_p_257.html

This looks like what I've been looking for. BTW - received the two replacement Odyssey batts and it really looks like I got at least one garbage Chinese Full River causing some of my problems.

I took a look at the video and site, do you have a specific fuze location you used for testing on a JL for the sensor cable?

TIA

Genesis Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 JK Rubicon, '18 JL Rubicon, '21 JT Rubicon
This looks like what I've been looking for. BTW - received the two replacement Odyssey batts and it really looks like I got at least one garbage Chinese Full River causing some of my problems.

I took a look at the video and site, do you have a specific fuze location you used for testing on a JL for the sensor cable?

TIA
On my JL, I used the driver's seat heater fuse, just because it was an easy location for the fuse tap. Some vehicles may not have seat heaters, no big deal, just take a look at the legend on the fuse box cover and find any fuse that is only hot when the ignition is on, like power windows, radio, etc.
Sponsored