First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 4 door JL 2019
Whats up guys,

Hope you are all doing well!

So, as i'm preparing to hook up my JLU Rubicon to be an overlanding vehicle that I can live in for very long periods of time, Im finding that the total cost of everything I need is waaayyyy higher that the money I have to spend on it and it seems like every day new items get added to the list lol

With that said, Im trying to see where I can cut costs and do some things myself instead of buying pre-made parts. I think that I can build a platform with my super limited building skills :) Maybe even drawers but thats a long shot.

I was wondering if anyone here has build a rear platform like the Goose-Gear one for the back of a JLU themselves, & is willing share their plans?! Looking for measurements/dimensions of the entire back. (I removed the seats and everything.) Also, Ive watched so so many videos of people doing this on Youtube but cant find anything like the Goose-Gear sleeping platform or any plans with measurements which would be super helpful.

Also, do you guys know of anyone, or any company thats making aftermarket drawers, drawer systems for a reasonable price. Cabinet style as well as the car kitchen type. Looking for both. I'm not sure that I can build those myself.

Ive attached a photo of the back of my car, stripped, as well as the Goose Gear platform for reference.

All suggestions and tips welcome :) Thank you!!!!
-Lawrence

Jeep with Empty Back.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 11.46.29 AM.png
Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Cheaper Jeeper has a couple of sweet videos on YouTube. I plan on building his platform soon, the plans are on his website too i think. He's also a member here.

OP
OP
LawrenceL

LawrenceL

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cheaper Jeeper has a couple of sweet videos on YouTube. I plan on building his platform soon, the plans are on his website too i think. He's also a member here.
Thanks so much! That was very helpful!

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Yes there are a lot of these on youtube for various types of vehicles. I'm looking this way too, and I'm thinking that to spend time in the back you probably need to be able to sit up sometimes so I would have to take measurements and determine how tall the platform could be. Might have to forego the platform and put storage on one side, me on the other side. There are lots of people on youtube that have set up their rigs on a budget. Maybe don't use the word "overlanding", that seems to be the buzzword for buying all the fancy aftermarket stuff to tart up your vehicle. Just like big tires, I wonder how many people set up their rigs with the fancy stuff and even sleep in them one time.

OP
OP
LawrenceL

LawrenceL

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes there are a lot of these on youtube for various types of vehicles. I'm looking this way too, and I'm thinking that to spend time in the back you probably need to be able to sit up sometimes so I would have to take measurements and determine how tall the platform could be. Might have to forego the platform and put storage on one side, me on the other side. There are lots of people on youtube that have set up their rigs on a budget. Maybe don't use the word "overlanding", that seems to be the buzzword for buying all the fancy aftermarket stuff to tart up your vehicle. Just like big tires, I wonder how many people set up their rigs with the fancy stuff and even sleep in them one time.
Im totally with you on that! I want to be able to have my drivers side seat go fully back so Im going to add some hinges so that I can fold the higher platform back a bit.

Ive decided to build 2 platforms

- One that is similar to the Goose Gear and sits on the floor and goes to the back of the front seat.

&

- A second one (20 inches higher that the bottom one) that sandwiches in all of the storage space so that no one can see anything underneath. Similar to the one from Cheaper Jeeper.

Its going to leave me just the right amount of space to sleep above in case there is some real bad weather that doesn't allow me to sleep in my roof top tent.

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Its going to leave me just the right amount of space to sleep above in case there is some real bad weather that doesn't allow me to sleep in my roof top tent.
I've seen people rig it both ways. If you just want to be able to get in there to sleep, the upper platform will work. If you want to somewhat "live" in the back when you aren't sleeping then mor vertical space is helpful. With a little work you could certainly rig it to work both ways. It also depends on how much you want to build things vs just buying storage containers.

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Whats up guys,

Hope you are all doing well!

So, as i'm preparing to hook up my JLU Rubicon to be an overlanding vehicle that I can live in for very long periods of time, Im finding that the total cost of everything I need is waaayyyy higher that the money I have to spend on it and it seems like every day new items get added to the list lol

With that said, Im trying to see where I can cut costs and do some things myself instead of buying pre-made parts. I think that I can build a platform with my super limited building skills :) Maybe even drawers but thats a long shot.

I was wondering if anyone here has build a rear platform like the Goose-Gear one for the back of a JLU themselves, & is willing share their plans?! Looking for measurements/dimensions of the entire back. (I removed the seats and everything.) Also, Ive watched so so many videos of people doing this on Youtube but cant find anything like the Goose-Gear sleeping platform or any plans with measurements which would be super helpful.

Also, do you guys know of anyone, or any company thats making aftermarket drawers, drawer systems for a reasonable price. Cabinet style as well as the car kitchen type. Looking for both. I'm not sure that I can build those myself.

Ive attached a photo of the back of my car, stripped, as well as the Goose Gear platform for reference.

All suggestions and tips welcome :) Thank you!!!!
-Lawrence

Jeep Wrangler JL Building a DIY JLU Sleeping Platform & Drawers (like Goose-Gear) Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 11.46.29 AM

Jeep Wrangler JL Building a DIY JLU Sleeping Platform & Drawers (like Goose-Gear) Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 11.46.29 AM
I just picked up my complete Goose Gear platform this afternoon - still in the boxes.

What is your timeframe for working on your build? I probably cannot even unbox this stuff for a few more days, and probably can't install it for a couple weeks (need the seats in place for a road trip next week).

If you can wait, I can try to make some measurements of any or all pieces. I at least need to unbox and check for damage or missing pieces soon, so I have to get at them in the next couple days. PM me if I can help...

OP
OP
LawrenceL

LawrenceL

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just picked up my complete Goose Gear platform this afternoon - still in the boxes.

What is your timeframe for working on your build? I probably cannot even unbox this stuff for a few more days, and probably can't install it for a couple weeks (need the seats in place for a road trip next week).

If you can wait, I can try to make some measurements of any or all pieces. I at least need to unbox and check for damage or missing pieces soon, so I have to get at them in the next couple days. PM me if I can help...
You are the man!!! Thank you so so so much for offering to do that for me. I do wish I got this message about a week ago lol :) I ended up building the platform from scratch.

The way it is now, I don't have any access to the rear storage area under the wooden platform in the back, so I still want to add a door with hinges possibly over there. The underseat storage area is perfect the way it is because i'm going to store Tripods, shoes and boots there. Don't need top access there, side is perfect.

Im about to start mocking up and designing the second platform Im going to build that will be at the height of the fridge (21 inches higher than the bottom one.)

That 2nd platform will hide everything underneath, as well as act as my backup sleep area in case of very bad weather when I cant use my roof-top tent.

Ive attached some photos of what i've build so far. I will carpet it all when done with everything. Also, the fridge i put in there is so damn big that it seems that the best place is by the door. It almost takes up the entire back when I put it there.

I want to build drawers myself in the back since everything I find online seems to be way too expensive but I have zero experience and that seems pretty intimidating. Any advice on that? Im open to all ideas :)

Thank you, Lawrence

Jeep Wrangler JL Building a DIY JLU Sleeping Platform & Drawers (like Goose-Gear) IMG_7300

Jeep Wrangler JL Building a DIY JLU Sleeping Platform & Drawers (like Goose-Gear) IMG_7293

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
You are the man!!! Thank you so so so much for offering to do that for me. I do wish I got this message about a week ago lol :) I ended up building the platform from scratch.
No worries... wish it would have been more timely!

I thought hard about doing what you did, but I simply did not wish to bother. I admit to buyer's remorse, now - the concept is so simple and can be just as effective with what you and others have done... I should have just hit up my brother-in-law to borrow tools. (I ordered in the early COVID stir craziness when my willpower was weakest :blush:)

However... it was too late to cancel the order, and now I have an admittedly very nice solution, though I still believe they are a bit over-proud of this stuff - it is at heart just cnc-cut plywood.

You are not the only one that could benefit... I may go ahead and take some key measurements anyway and maybe make some scaled sketches to post here.

Cheers!

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon

The way it is now, I don't have any access to the rear storage area under the wooden platform in the back, so I still want to add a door with hinges possibly over there. The underseat storage area is perfect the way it is because i'm going to store Tripods, shoes and boots there. Don't need top access there, side is perfect.

Im about to start mocking up and designing the second platform Im going to build that will be at the height of the fridge (21 inches higher than the bottom one.)

That 2nd platform will hide everything underneath, as well as act as my backup sleep area in case of very bad weather when I cant use my roof-top tent.

Ive attached some photos of what i've build so far. I will carpet it all when done with everything. Also, the fridge i put in there is so damn big that it seems that the best place is by the door. It almost takes up the entire back when I put it there.

I want to build drawers myself in the back since everything I find online seems to be way too expensive but I have zero experience and that seems pretty intimidating. Any advice on that? Im open to all ideas :)

Thank you, Lawrence

Jeep Wrangler JL Building a DIY JLU Sleeping Platform & Drawers (like Goose-Gear) IMG_7293

Lawrence,

This looks great so far. Any chance you could add a few dimensions for the platform you made. I'm considering doing this in the future and I also have a diabolical slipstream installed.

Thanks!
James

Sponsored

OP
OP
LawrenceL

LawrenceL

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lawrence,

This looks great so far. Any chance you could add a few dimensions for the platform you made. I'm considering doing this in the future and I also have a diabolical slipstream installed.

Thanks!
James
Thanks James. You got it!

Ill have that posted up here before the end of the weekend ! :) The measurements turned out sightly different that I originally had mocked up so Im going to go and re-measure everything for precision.

-Lawrence

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Thanks James. You got it!

Ill have that posted up here before the end of the weekend ! :) The measurements turned out sightly different that I originally had mocked up so Im going to go and re-measure everything for precision.

-Lawrence
Thanks Lawrence I appreciate that.

James

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Awesome job! +1 for the measurements. I assume some of the measurements will translate to a 2 door.

OP
OP
LawrenceL

LawrenceL

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here you go guys.

Hope its clear... Hit me up if you have any questions.

Im working on the second level platform for the back area now which will sit 20 inches higher than the lower one... I'll keep you guys posted about how thats coming along, and I should have photos to share later this week.

all the best,
Lawrence

Jeep Wrangler JL Building a DIY JLU Sleeping Platform & Drawers (like Goose-Gear) Jeep JLU Lower Platform .JPG

OP
OP
LawrenceL

LawrenceL

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lawrence,

Thanks!
James
Hey James,

Regarding the Diabolical slipstream. The product is awesome but I’m removing it now for 2 reasons & still using one part of it elsewhere.

removing it because,
- I used to have a softop and it was necessary for security reasons. I traded someone for a hardtop now because I want even more security and better sound/insulation inside... mainly because I’ll be living in it full time. (Loved the soft top)
- also because I’m basically creating my own custom security enclosure (with drawers) designed exactly the way I want it :)

I’ll be adding the part of the diabolical slipstream to which bungy cords can attach to / the metal bars with the large holes. Check out this photo. I placed them on top of the cardboard as I was brainstorming.

-Lawrence

4691CD9A-4E98-4754-B206-3ADDF6470426.jpeg
Sponsored