Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Wow! Good job keep your head and everything under control.

I suspect you won't be able to immediately see all the impact damage/fatigue, which may only manifest itself hundreds or thousands of miles down the road.

Whenever a shop has to take-off/install wheels on my vehicles, I immediately take them off and put them on myself, again, when I get home. This is because, years ago, I was trying to get the wheels off my '94 Camaro, and found myself literally standing on the end of a 2-foot long breaker bar, in a vain attempt to get a lug-nut off. That was back when I was a svelte 200 pounds, so yeah, 400 ft-lbs couldn't break it loose, but it did break it off.

I just cringe when I see shops use their impact wrenches to drive lug nuts in, then walk around with their torque wrenches set to the "correct torque" of like 100 ft-lbs and quickly click through the lug nuts that are likely already torqued to 200 ft-lbs.

Too bad your shop didn't even bother putting them on that securely. Good luck with the outcome.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I would insist they pay for a mechanic if your choosing fully evaluate the Jeep. I don't think this national chain wants this kind of publicity.

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Hardrock
Thanks all. Lesson learned here. I don't think I can ever trust that lugs are being properly torqued going forward. You've given me some things to look out for. I am going to let them know I want a shop of my choice to vet the condition of the Jeep.

More importantly, I am very glad that no one was injured. I had the wife and kids in the Jeep when this happened. They were shaken up for sure. And the wheel flying into incoming traffic could have seriously injured or killed someone.

I have consulted a friend lawyer to see what my recourse is.
For a vehicle less than 2yrs old, I would definitely find a really good Jeep dealership and discuss it with them. See if they'll agree to look at. Then take that info to your lawyer. And take a copy to the tire shop. That's why they have insurance. But, you control everything. If they balk, thats where your attorney comes in.

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
I almost had this happen to me about 20 years ago. Tech left one wheel finger tight. I stopped when the vibration got ugly. Only about 500 feet from the shop, and another 500 to highway ramp I was going to get on. The wheel fell off in the parking lot I stopped in. Not a good night.

Sponsored

OP
OP
trurob777

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
To give you a sense of how far the wheel rolled into incoming traffic.

My wife shot this of me in the state trooper's vehicle going to retrieve the wheel. It is near that overpass in the distance.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel Falls off on Highway After Tire Rotation IMG_9387-01

Here's a zoomed in shot of the wheel.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel Falls off on Highway After Tire Rotation IMG_9382~2.HEIC

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Glad you and yours are OK.

Same thing happened to a 10,000 lb. Sportsmobile over on that forum a couple years back when I had one. I immediately got a torque wrench and have double checked mine every time I have tires/wheels worked on since reading about that one. So far so good, but this is a "good" reminder to all...

Hope it all works out for you.

Cheers!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP, I am VERY glad that you and your family were not injured nor anyone else from the flying wheel.

I’m wondering if techs at national chain tire shops even bother to look up torque specs...... the JL on stock rims/lugs is something like 125 ft/lbs. that surprised a real “car guy” I work with. I’m wondering what the tech thought?

you might want to grab a torque wrench and go check the other tires...... it might help you in your “negotiations” with the tire shop.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Well, seems you lost a wheel not just a tire ;)

Glad you are OK!

I put a wrench on my lugs unless I physically oversee the install. Ive had far too many not tightened lugs in the past. Never lost the whole wheel but have lost lugs in the past.
This. I actually take my torque wrench and a 22mm to the dealership when they do the Jeep wave free rotations and check em before driving off the lot. They are never fully torqued - suspect the techs use torque sticks or something.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Thanks all. Lesson learned here. I don't think I can ever trust that lugs are being properly torqued going forward. You've given me some things to look out for. I am going to let them know I want a shop of my choice to vet the condition of the Jeep.

More importantly, I am very glad that no one was injured. I had the wife and kids in the Jeep when this happened. They were shaken up for sure. And the wheel flying into incoming traffic could have seriously injured or killed someone.

I have consulted a friend lawyer to see what my recourse is.
Terrifying but good on you to keep it together and get it to the side of the road and stopped safely.

Good to get a lawyer involved and push for a new front axle assembly. Unless you have a good local shop you trust to go through it carefully.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
To the OP, I would not worry about "metal fatigue" in this particular case. Fatigue occurs when metal is flexed many many times at very high levels of the metal's utlimate strength. What the parts experienced was a shock from the rotor dropping to the ground. In cases like this, you'll be able to physically inspect for the damage, whether it's bent or cracked. But, my guess is that since the rotor dropped only about 9 or 10", the damage will be confined to the rotor and possibly other parts on that side of the axle assembly, and possibly an inspection of the draglink and tierod is prudent. The JL tierod is known to have a weakness near a hole with a pin in it, But I would not expect the axle housing or steering knuckle to be bent as these Jeeps get beat harder on a street with potholes.

But what occurs to me is that all the lugs appear to have departed in such a short time. I would've expected one or two to not have backed off with the others. It looks to me like the mechanic forgot to put all or most of the lugs on. Did they find the lugs at the shop?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
This. I actually take my torque wrench and a 22mm to the dealership when they do the Jeep wave free rotations and check em before driving off the lot. They are never fully torqued - suspect the techs use torque sticks or something.
Techs probably went by the previous JK specs, something like 85 ft. lbs while they were overfilling your JL w/ an extra qt of oil :(

But what occurs to me is that all the lugs appear to have departed in such a short time. I would've expected one or two to not have backed off with the others. It looks to me like the mechanic forgot to put all or most of the lugs on. Did they find the lugs at the shop?
Maybe got one snugged down, got called away, then forgot to finish the job??
SAD!

NewTXJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Sorry to hear this. I was very close to this situation last week as well, even though with the rear passenger wheel.

Dont mean to hijack the thread, but I am hoping the questions are relevant.

Questions for experts: DT is replacing the wheel and they have said they have a local shop they work with to replace the studs. Is replacing the studs a good way to handle this? Should I insist that this be done at a dealership? Anything else to look out for?

IMG_2376 2.jpg

IMG_9463.JPG

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
To give you a sense of how far the wheel rolled into incoming traffic.

My wife shot this of me in the state trooper's vehicle going to retrieve the wheel. It is near that overpass in the distance.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel Falls off on Highway After Tire Rotation IMG_9463.JPG

Here's a zoomed in shot of the wheel.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel Falls off on Highway After Tire Rotation IMG_9463.JPG
Good Lord, glad everyone is safe and the wheel didn't take out on coming traffic.
Sponsored