First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep jlu rubicon
Occupation
U.S. Army
Has anyone installed the Banks Ram Air Cold Air Intake? If so can you post a sound bit or video so we can hear the difference?
Sponsored

ShineJL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Wrangler
Just ordered. Will report back once installed. Ordered a Gibson single exit muffler as well.

OP
OP
MattyH

MattyH

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep jlu rubicon
Occupation
U.S. Army
Awesome!!!! Cant wait!!!!!

ShineJL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Wrangler
Aside from the Banks Intake, my car is stock. You do feel a slight increase in power, but it’s not life changing. The car isn’t fast to begin with. Love the added sound. Stock was too quiet. This isn’t too load either but you will hear it of mash on the pedal. Easy to control volume with pedal control.

If you don’t want an after-market exhaust, get this at the minimum for that sporty grunt.

Feels about half of the weight of stock. Maybe a 3-5 lbs saving if that matters.

I just bought this car. Just realized the stock intake does feed cold air front the front grille. This feeds off the same channel. You do not need to remove the front grill to install (I mistakenly did).

Jeep Wrangler JL Banks Ram Air Cold Air Intake 601A09CA-609E-47F4-B99A-DC6EA4A86234

Jeep Wrangler JL Banks Ram Air Cold Air Intake 784A2D66-68E4-44EA-91F6-88541DECF902

OP
OP
MattyH

MattyH

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep jlu rubicon
Occupation
U.S. Army
Can you post a video of the sound? Before and after??

Sponsored

KingBoo

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Aside from the Banks Intake, my car is stock. You do feel a slight increase in power, but it’s not life changing. The car isn’t fast to begin with. Love the added sound. Stock was too quiet. This isn’t too load either but you will hear it of mash on the pedal. Easy to control volume with pedal control.

If you don’t want an after-market exhaust, get this at the minimum for that sporty grunt.

Feels about half of the weight of stock. Maybe a 3-5 lbs saving if that matters.

I just bought this car. Just realized the stock intake does feed cold air front the front grille. This feeds off the same channel. You do not need to remove the front grill to install (I mistakenly did).

Jeep Wrangler JL Banks Ram Air Cold Air Intake 784A2D66-68E4-44EA-91F6-88541DECF902

did you notice any mpg improvement ??

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I Installed this intake about a week ago. It was a pretty easy and straightforward install. Be careful not to damage the air sensor when removing it from the stock intake. Mine did not turn easily and I had to use pliers.

There's no difference in sound when idling or even accelerating at low RPM. But the advertised "growl" really kicks in when you open the throttle. It's louder than I expected but I've gotten used to it already. I think this is the least restrictive intake available for the JL so the increased sound in understandable.

There is a definite noticeable increase in responsiveness, mostly with the throttle fully open and at 2500 or higher RPM. It's not huge but not bad for the investment. I have not noticed any increase in MPG after a couple of hundred miles of driving.

I'm happy overall with this upgrade and would recommend it as long as you're okay with that growl from the engine. Just give it a couple of days to get used to it.

OP
OP
MattyH

MattyH

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep jlu rubicon
Occupation
U.S. Army
nice. I think im gonna get this cai. Not at the top of the list right now. Need winch first.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
What if anything does Banks claim for power increase?

what filter are they using??

Sponsored

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
Has anyone installed the Banks Ram Air Cold Air Intake? If so can you post a sound bit or video so we can hear the difference?
I used to run the Banks on my JK. Banks stuff is well made and installed easily. I ran the CAI with a Banks Cat back exhaust. All my comments are based on the JK....so take it for what its worth.....

I wont waste my money or time on a CAI for my JL. Aside from the debate on the filtering abilities of CAI over stock, its not worth it to me. The Banks set up did provide a slight increase (very slight) in the responsiveness of the JK. It was there but not a massive leap. what it did add was a growl under throttle. My MPG went up maybe 1 to 2 MPG with the system installed (CAI + Cat back).

You are still sucking air from under the hood. IF I was thinking about another CAI....I'd look at something drawing air outside the Jeep. Snorkle or maybe one of the hood or pillar units like Rugged Ridge or MOPAR. As far as these type of CAI...the Banks is exceptionally well made.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
^^^ under the hood isn't a cold air intake and hardly a ram air system. I installed Mopars hood vent CAI with zero noticed seat of the pants difference. Only did it because I was annoyed by the fake hood vents on my Rubicon. Swapped hoods with a Sahara owner that paid me $500 plus his. That cash went into the Mopar hood intake system. I would not have paid out of pocket for Mopars real outside air system and don't recommend any fake CAI system either.
Jeep Wrangler JL Banks Ram Air Cold Air Intake JL real hood intake vent

To vent underhood heat I simply did what some JK owners have done. Raised the hood hinges, pulled the underhood sound liner and plastic engine cover. Natural rising heat coming out of the gap feels like the opening on a toaster. It's been this with 4 season now and no issues. Forum follows function and looks good to me.

Last edited:

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
@sourdough I have seen this picture multiple times, but haven't asked yet. Why didn't you just open up the Rubicon faux air vents?

You pulled the hood liner anyways, so it would have accomplished the same thing you did and had FORM and FUNCTION. You would have been $500 lighter is all. I for one have done my Rubicon service by removing the liner, engine cover (damn that horseshoe) and drilled holes in the once faux vents. I have had zero issues comes up from it.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Haha, this is the second time you hit me up on this and as before you confuse two different items I did with my hood.
Let me help you out here...
1st, faux vent louvers. Why didn't those fake hood vents get opened up by the factory engineers. Also, if those vents at that location are a good idea, why are there so few vehicles with them on top of the hood. Seems the FUNCTION experts didn't think it a good idea, but the FORM designers liked the faux look anyway. I didn't like them and got rid of them.
2nd, The $500 I spent is for Mopars(true outside air) CAI system and has nothing to do with underhood heat venting and the faux hood vents. Drilling holes in the faux louvers wouldn't do anything as to a true (outside) CAI

Last edited:

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
@sourdough Haha, bad memory on my part. Thought I looked back at those threads. Excuse my oversight.

Maybe opening up the faux vents don't do anything. I figure they are more of a suction: promoting air through the grill and giving it a place to go out and up. But the vents opening up I don't count as giving the intake more cold air either. More a place for heat vapor to escape and not toast all the plasticware under the hood. Maybe a titch of cooler air for the intake.
Sponsored