Sponsored

Any way to update the 8.4" UConnect if you upgraded it yourself?

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I have a question related to this thread: why can't you upgrade the 8.4" if it didn't come originally in your Jeep? I mean, it's an OEM radio for Pete's sake. Can't a dealer just put it in your build for you?
FCA won't support this upgrade, therefore, the dealers will not do it. Seeing the issues in this forum, FCA cannot seem to support the factory installations either!

It isn't a matter of it not working. As you point out, they put it in at the factory. FCA knows how to make it work. They know your Jeep configuration, and should be able to sell you any deltas.

For some reason, FCA does not support anything you add to your Jeep after manufacturing, This includes Mopar accessory kits that they sell, and that use the same parts that are put on your Jeep at the factory. Last time I checked, Mopar and Jeep were both part of FCA. Yet, this is what I have been told directly by FCA. Mopar guarantees their kits to work, Jeep says they are not supported. FCA should fix this communications mismatch, in their customers interest.

This is why folks with some experience with Jeep advise folks to order Jeeps with everything you want on it, and do not plan to add anything to it later.

This policy really, really dumb. You cannot reasonably argue why this is even necessary.
Sponsored

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
FCA won't support this upgrade, therefore, the dealers will not do it. Seeing the issues in this forum, FCA cannot seem to support the factory installations either!

It isn't a matter of it not working. As you point out, they put it in at the factory. FCA knows how to make it work. They know your Jeep configuration, and should be able to sell you any deltas.

For some reason, FCA does not support anything you add to your Jeep after manufacturing, This includes Mopar accessory kits that they sell, and that use the same parts that are put on your Jeep at the factory. Last time I checked, Mopar and Jeep were both part of FCA. Yet, this is what I have been told directly by FCA. Mopar guarantees their kits to work, Jeep says they are not supported. FCA should fix this communications mismatch, in their customers interest.

This is why folks with some experience with Jeep advise folks to order Jeeps with everything you want on it, and do not plan to add anything to it later.

This policy really, really dumb. You cannot reasonably argue why this is even necessary.
Wow. Just wow.

So, if I ordered this part from my dealer's parts department, had them install it, FCA won't support it? Isn't that shooting yourself in the foot?

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Wow. Just wow.

So, if I ordered this part from my dealer's parts department, had them install it, FCA won't support it? Isn't that shooting yourself in the foot?
That is correct. Your dealer probably knows about this already, and either will not, or can not order it.
I purchased an 8.4" at Infotainment. It was a new unit. Installation was as simple as watching a 10 minute you-tube video and then about 10 minutes with trim tools and a philips screwdriver. Trim tools are cheap on Amazon, and you should grab some if you don't have them already.

My unit worked pretty well at first. Not all the features were working, as expected. For example, I don't have the cellular antenna in my Jeep. Features that depend on that functionality obviously would not work. However, my USB2 never worked with Carplay, and my USB1 soon stopped working with Carplay. Putting my 7" unit back in, both USBs work great with Carplay. Going back to the 8.4", they don't work. Must be a simple driver or OS build issue in the 8.4" unit. Should be simple to fix... but.... getting new firmware for the 8.4" unit is a big headache if you don't have the unit attached to your VIN number, which you won't unless you factory ordered the unit. I played a game of looking up new Jeeps that had 8.4" units in them, plugging that VIN into the Uconnect site.. until I found one that did not have an upgrade, and then downloaded the firmware for a USB install. Stupid.
My dealer will not attach my 8.4" unit to my VIN for me. I hear that some may do this.
You can also order units from ebay. However, you may need the VIN and 4 digit pin for the unit from the vehicle it came out of to make it work. Your dealer may or may not be willing to reset this for you.

So, if you can get one, and it works.. awesome. My experience, the software is unstable. I can't get support.
I am waiting for the Alpine unit to come out. It will be more expensive, but at least I can get support.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
That is correct. Your dealer probably knows about this already, and either will not, or can not order it.
I purchased an 8.4" at Infotainment. It was a new unit. Installation was as simple as watching a 10 minute you-tube video and then about 10 minutes with trim tools and a philips screwdriver. Trim tools are cheap on Amazon, and you should grab some if you don't have them already.

My unit worked pretty well at first. Not all the features were working, as expected. For example, I don't have the cellular antenna in my Jeep. Features that depend on that functionality obviously would not work. However, my USB2 never worked with Carplay, and my USB1 soon stopped working with Carplay. Putting my 7" unit back in, both USBs work great with Carplay. Going back to the 8.4", they don't work. Must be a simple driver or OS build issue in the 8.4" unit. Should be simple to fix... but.... getting new firmware for the 8.4" unit is a big headache if you don't have the unit attached to your VIN number, which you won't unless you factory ordered the unit. I played a game of looking up new Jeeps that had 8.4" units in them, plugging that VIN into the Uconnect site.. until I found one that did not have an upgrade, and then downloaded the firmware for a USB install. Stupid.
My dealer will not attach my 8.4" unit to my VIN for me. I hear that some may do this.
You can also order units from ebay. However, you may need the VIN and 4 digit pin for the unit from the vehicle it came out of to make it work. Your dealer may or may not be willing to reset this for you.

So, if you can get one, and it works.. awesome. My experience, the software is unstable. I can't get support.
I am waiting for the Alpine unit to come out. It will be more expensive, but at least I can get support.
Thank you for this honest review. I too am going to pass on the 8.4 and probably put the money I would have used for that towards Katzskin leather front and rear. :)

And then saving for the Alpine after reading some reviews of folk on here who put it in first.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I just looked at some of the specs on the Alpine, and for that price I'm pretty astonished it does not include navigation!

Sponsored

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I just looked at some of the specs on the Alpine, and for that price I'm pretty astonished it does not include navigation!
I believe they have, or did have at one time, navigation and non navigation versions for the JK edition. I use Waze when I have cell signal. having a nav in the unit would be handy for the times you don't have navigation on carplay or google.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I have a question related to this thread: why can't you upgrade the 8.4" if it didn't come originally in your Jeep? I mean, it's an OEM radio for Pete's sake. Can't a dealer just put it in your build for you?
Because FCA have said many times that they will not support this

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Because FCA have said many times that they will not support this
Which, in my opinion, is rather foolish on their part. But they don't consult with me nor should they. Just my $.02.

exilepa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
[QUOTE="However, my USB2 never worked with Carplay, and my USB1 soon stopped working with Carplay. Putting my 7" unit back in, both USBs work great with Carplay. [/QUOTE]

Dang -- Your USB1 stopped working too? How long did it work for before it stopped? I wonder if any others who swapped to the 8.4 have had this issue.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

[QUOTE="However, my USB2 never worked with Carplay, and my USB1 soon stopped working with Carplay. Putting my 7" unit back in, both USBs work great with Carplay.
Dang -- Your USB1 stopped working too? How long did it work for before it stopped? I wonder if any others who swapped to the 8.4 have had this issue.[/QUOTE]

About three days. You can find reports from folks with factory installed units having the same issue. Both of my USB ports work fine with the 7”. They fail with the 8.4”. From what I can tell, the 8.4” comes with the same USB setup from the factory as the 7”. My assumption is that the USB driver stack on the 8.4” devices is the problem. Hard to know, as FCA won’t talk about it. Seeing the Panasonic makes the unit, FCA may just not know!

Sponsored

exilepa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
About three days. You can find reports from folks with factory installed units having the same issue. Both of my USB ports work fine with the 7”. They fail with the 8.4”. From what I can tell, the 8.4” comes with the same USB setup from the factory as the 7”. My assumption is that the USB driver stack on the 8.4” devices is the problem. Hard to know, as FCA won’t talk about it. Seeing the Panasonic makes the unit, FCA may just not know!
I guess that's a good thing that folks with it factory installed have the same issue as maybe itl FCA will eventually put out a firmware update to address it? Did it work again after a reset/battery disconnect/reconnect?

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I guess that's a good thing that folks with it factory installed have the same issue as maybe itl FCA will eventually put out a firmware update to address it? Did it work again after a reset/battery disconnect/reconnect?
I did the reset with the Tazer. No change. I pulled the unit and went back to the 7", as I wanted Carplay to work. Even if FCA fixes the software, we then would have to figure out how to get the download. Not sure how long the "find a vin that works and see if it hasn't been upgraded" method will still work.

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
I would if I could! I also don’t understand why they don’t offer the 8.4 inch display on all trim levels.

I am eyeing a JLU Sport S because I don’t want to pay for all the extra upgrades I won’t use on the Rubicon, but that bigger screen would be a no brainer for me.

Last edited:

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Which, in my opinion, is rather foolish on their part. But they don't consult with me nor should they. Just my $.02.
Just pointing out that FCA has a very long history of going to extraordinary lengths to screw their customers. Typically in post sales support. I believe they are currently being investigated in AUS for repeated violations of consumer law.
If the Wrangler wasn't what it is, there is no chance I would ever buy a vehicle from FCA.

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch

Did you ever have any luck getting your Vin number associated to your radio? I want to activate my hotspot
Sponsored