Opinions on the manual transmission

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Interestingly enough they came out and spoke of potential, sporadic or imminent clutch failure that if it happens it could cause debris to fly out and cause damage or fire.
The narrative out now seems to be adding a sleeve or shrouding around fuel line? Doesn't seem to mention anything that may prevent clutch failure.
What to think about that????
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Interestingly enough they came out and spoke of potential, sporadic or imminent clutch failure that if it happens it could cause debris to fly out and cause damage or fire.
The narrative out now seems to be adding a sleeve or shrouding around fuel line? Doesn't seem to mention anything that may prevent clutch failure.
What to think about that????
My understanding was the air in the hydraulic system caused the clutch to not completely engage in some situations, which would lead to the friction and super high heat that would lead to the fracture and breakup. So, bleeding the slave cylinder would be a part of the fix. Probably the biggest part of the fix. Then again, I could be completely wrong. All I know is that I feel no issue with mine, so the bits and pieces are welcome and if I get a new clutch out of the deal, that's a bonus.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
My understanding was the air in the hydraulic system caused the clutch to not completely engage in some situations, which would lead to the friction and super high heat that would lead to the fracture and breakup. So, bleeding the slave cylinder would be a part of the fix. Probably the biggest part of the fix. Then again, I could be completely wrong. All I know is that I feel no issue with mine, so the bits and pieces are welcome and if I get a new clutch out of the deal, that's a bonus.
Exactly! I have 39000 plus miles with zero issue so im definitely up for any info and free bits and pieces

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just had the recall done. Now I have to relearn the clutch all over. Not sure how a sleeve and bleed could change the feel so much. But it is definitely different. The clutch is, how shal I say, more apparent? Can any else chime in? Feels more like a proper clutch. Can a bleed and sleeve achieve this?

OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Firecracker Red 3.6L 6MT
Just had the recall done. Now I have to relearn the clutch all over. Not sure how a sleeve and bleed could change the feel so much. But it is definitely different. The clutch is, how shal I say, more apparent? Can any else chime in? Feels more like a proper clutch. Can a bleed and sleeve achieve this?
Just had a sleeve installed and bled too... i can’t say i notice too much of a difference tbh

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Manual transmission was a must when Wrangler came with an anemic 3.8 V6 and an outdated 4-speed automatic. Wrangler got dramatically better when Jeep replaced the old 3.8 with a modern 3.6 V6 and a 5-speed automatic.

IMO, JL's heavily updated V6 --and 4-cyl turbo, and the new 8-speed automatic are so good, that they render the need for the manual transmission unnecessary.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
As good as an automatic can be, it doesn’t matter. It’s the joy of driving. Like rolling the windows down. Like taking the top off. Like turning the radio up. Changing your own gears using both hands and both feet.
Agree completely. I can't think of many situations where my 6-speed would perform better than the 8A, but it sure is more fun!

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
A bleed could definitely make it feel a lot different. Just like if you have air in your brake lines, the pedal feel can be very mushy and spongey. If there was enough air in there, it could have even limited the travel of the slave cylinder. Which can cause the engagement points to be in a different spot.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Manual transmission was a must when Wrangler came with an anemic 3.8 V6 and an outdated 4-speed automatic. Wrangler got dramatically better when Jeep replaced the old 3.8 with a modern 3.6 V6 and a 5-speed automatic.

IMO, JL's heavily updated V6 --and 4-cyl turbo, and the new 8-speed automatic are so good, that they render the need for the manual transmission unnecessary.
You are right about the auto. It is a gem.. But need has nothing to do with it, for me. It's all about the fun.

Just like the auto, this is, again, IMHO, the best manual they've ever put in a Jeep, too. It plays very nicely with this V6 that loves to rev. I can get a level of entertainment and joy out of interacting with the Jeep/engine that I can't get in an auto, no matter how good it is. That it was 2 grand less was just gravy on a vehicle that already had drained my wallet dry.

This recall is really a minor issue and has more to do with packaging and proper set-up than anything else. It is a simple and relatively quick fix, if the parts are on hand. I'm continuing to enjoy mine and will get it done when my dealer says they can quickly get necessary parts. I've felt no evidence of a problem. I firmly belive it was bled properly at the factory. The assembly line was at a very slow and careful pace when it was built in early December 2017. But if I get a new clutch, you won't hear me complain.

Sponsored

Hank20

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Just under 2K miles on my Rubicon. The clutch is far different feel than my 1970 Dodge 4 speed, and I omit to stalling the jeep a few times trying to adjust to it. My order was delayed to the recall but not sure it came out of the factory "fixed" or not. I guess I will find out in my first service.

I feel like the 1st gear is low enough (like my Dodge) that I can easily take off in 2nd if on flat or down hill surface. I saw some comments about using 6th at 45 mph, I cant even imagine that, I havent used 6th gear unless I was traveling 70+ mph. Anything under that it feels like it will stall or not enough power.

So far still happy I chose manual trans and no regrets, just adjusting to the feel of the clutch and finding the sweet spots

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
As good as an automatic can be, it doesn’t matter. It’s the joy of driving. Like rolling the windows down. Like taking the top off. Like turning the radio up. Changing your own gears using both hands and both feet.
Agree with the fun of shifting your own gears.

This is what I drive when I want to shift on my own. The top goes up and down a lot easier, too. ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions on the manual transmission 1590777255454

Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions on the manual transmission 1590777455081

Jeep Wrangler JL Opinions on the manual transmission 1590777414484

double0762

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JL Willy's
Occupation
Canyon Independent School District
Vehicle Showcase
Well said!

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Just like Ron said above: "Well said". As of this post it's Sunday at 2:30 and I just got back from a beautiful weekend in upstate N.Y. As great as trailing through the woods with the Jeep was the 3 hour drive each way. I love downshifting up and down those mountains and controlling my own transmission and engine. With all due respect to the automatic transmission fans I personally would find the ride boring with an auto.
Sponsored