Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Manual
You would need to contact the person who posted it for pictures at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ering-is-normal-for-the-jl.31971/post-1119694
The bolts at the bottom of the sway bar links shown in the photos are what I loosened. They are not LOOSE mind you. They’re not going anywhere (I put some breakable loctite in there) and there is no clanking when I go over bumps. But they are not super tight to allow the bushings to move and flex as intended.

I admit to having a Fox steering stabilizer on as well but that did not fix the problem. It’s been good for adding some weight to the steering but did nothing for the loose feeling, dead spot, and wandering.

Hopefully some other wanderers can give this a shot and see what they think. If it works for you as well as it did for me then you have a free and easy fix! Let the subjectivity test ensue...

428DB4BA-983A-4944-BF70-376EF507A337.jpeg

72A9DA68-0F4D-43A3-85B6-9EF554F6904D.jpeg
Sponsored

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I am sure you could completely get rid of the steering gear slop if you adjusted enough. I did make 2 adjustments 1/16, test drove, then went to 1/8. I was fine with the steering at that point so I didn’t try any more. Mainly because some people here have said that the steering “lock up” issue may be due to lack of slop. If you have only 1” of overall, I would say you are better off than most owners with the issue. I am at 1” now but I was at about 3” overall.
I agree. Before box tightening I was at 3" and now about .5-1" which ill take over what i had any day. For me the new aftermarket trackbar and drag link, tightening ball joints to spec made a big difference as well. I still have some light wobble at speeds on washboard roads and will be installing the Mopar longer LCAs this weekend.

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The bolts at the bottom of the sway bar links shown in the photos are what I loosened. They are not LOOSE mind you. They’re not going anywhere (I put some breakable loctite in there) and there is no clanking when I go over bumps. But they are not super tight to allow the bushings to move and flex as intended.

I admit to having a Fox steering stabilizer on as well but that did not fix the problem. It’s been good for adding some weight to the steering but did nothing for the loose feeling, dead spot, and wandering.

Hopefully some other wanderers can give this a shot and see what they think. If it works for you as well as it did for me then you have a free and easy fix! Let the subjectivity test ensue...

Jeep Wrangler JL Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts 72A9DA68-0F4D-43A3-85B6-9EF554F6904D

Jeep Wrangler JL Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts 72A9DA68-0F4D-43A3-85B6-9EF554F6904D
What are the specs here? What was the torque you found vs what it should be from the factory?

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I agree. Before box tightening I was at 3" and now about .5-1" which ill take over what i had any day. For me the new aftermarket trackbar and drag link, tightening ball joints to spec made a big difference as well. I still have some light wobble at speeds on washboard roads and will be installing the Mopar longer LCAs this weekend.
Interesting. I was thinking about a complete update of drag link, track bar, stabilizer, etc. (Any ideas ) Thinking of going steer smarts, plus a complete hydraulic system by psc. can any one think of compatibility issues? I believe from reading this forum, that should head off any problems that might arise in the future. There are some very intelligent individuals on this forum and they do offer some real life info for the JL but you have to listen. Thanks

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician

This is perfect...I think since today is a bit nicer in Northeast Ohio I will loosen these just slightly and see what happens.
My problem is not a major issue and the newer Jeep is far better than the previous one. But anything I can do to help is a positive thing. I'm getting ready to upgrade the track bar and tie rod as well with a little beefier version.

Sponsored

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Interesting. I was thinking about a complete update of drag link, track bar, stabilizer, etc. (Any ideas ) Thinking of going steer smarts, plus a complete hydraulic system by psc. can any one think of compatibility issues? I believe from reading this forum, that should head off any problems that might arise in the future. There are some very intelligent individuals on this forum and they do offer some real life info for the JL but you have to listen. Thanks
Dont know why you imply i am not listening. I am definitely listening and on many threads on this issue as i dont simply want to trade my JLUR in. The problem is there are many variables to the loose, wandering, dead spot, slight wobble issue.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
The factory specs call for 59 ft. lbs. of torque. Mine are at <5 ft. lbs.
This is pretty interesting. I could certainly see how this could help a directional pull. Did you have that issue too?

Having a hard time understanding how this could help a dead spot, but will be curious to know if anyone else tries. Glad to hear that you are happier with yours.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Dont know why you imply i am not listening. I am definitely listening and on many threads on this issue as i dont simply want to trade my JLUR in. The problem is there are many variables to the loose, wandering, dead spot, slight wobble issue.
Did not imply anything to you.
Did not imply you'er not listening. Not intended for anyone, just stating there is some very talented jeepers on the forum and some good information to listen to. Also if the steering box and electrical assist and computer are the culprit from what I have read the best solution(although expensive) is the psc full hydraulic system would get rid of both problems. New steering box and no electrics, and upgrade as stated before. Thanks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Manual
This is pretty interesting. I could certainly see how this could help a directional pull. Did you have that issue too?

Having a hard time understanding how this could help a dead spot, but will be curious to know if anyone else tries. Glad to hear that you are happier with yours.
I was experiencing pretty severe bump steer and “directional pull” and this has lessened that behavior a lot. I agree about the dead spot mystery, perhaps that is a placebo effect but it certainly seems to help in a perceptible way.

I actually look forward to driving it now.

Sponsored

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I was experiencing pretty severe bump steer and “directional pull” and this has lessened that behavior a lot. I agree about the dead spot mystery, perhaps that is a placebo effect but it certainly seems to help in a perceptible way.

I actually look forward to driving it now.
Man i hope to get where you are someday, lol.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician

well..my torque wrench didn’t work at all. Bit I loosened these up and then retightened till they felt snug.
gonna go for a little ride in a bit and see if i notice any difference. Again, thanks for the pix...made it super simple to identify the right parts.
and I for one listen to everyone’s ideas and very much appreciate the great input and help i get here from people much smarter on these matters than me.
Big thanks to all you here !!!!