Sponsored

Do i need to Regear my JL RUBICON with 35 inch tires?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, before I knew that the Tazer existed, I bought a Superchips Flashcal to correct the tire size. Although I like the integration with the Tazer, is there any other reason to switch? The Flashcal allows me to change the tire size and also things like fog light dropout, TPMS, turning of the engine stop thing. Seems like most of the functions of the Tazer are present in the Flashcal.
After reading the description of how your jeep is driving, I thought you must not have reprogrammed the speedo and the transmission thought the factory 33's were still there.

No real reason to switch. I do like some of the added features of the Tazer like being able to lock the rear in 2hi and both in 4hi, winch mode that raises rpm's to a preset point, full traction control kill, etc.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you regeared? I wouldn't expect 38s to hit 8th gear unless it's downhill with a tailwind.
No, still factory 4.10's. I still hit 8th quite easily when just maintaining speed, but it is a bit quicker to downshift when holding a specific speed while pulling a grade or driving into a headwind.

ARB air lockers and RCV axle shafts front and rear are part of the plan for the near future, so a regear would make sense while I'm in there. If not for that, I doubt that I'd bother.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
No, still factory 4.10's. I still hit 8th quite easily when just maintaining speed, but it is a bit quicker to downshift when holding a specific speed while pulling a grade or driving into a headwind.

ARB air lockers and RCV axle shafts front and rear are part of the plan for the near future, so a regear would make sense while I'm in there. If not for that, I doubt that I'd bother.
Adding ARB lockers, RCV front and rear and regear cost atleast $6k. You might as well look at swapping in ultimate/pro rock 44s at that point.

terryb

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Guess I'll be the dissenting opinion. Firstly, I don't think you have to regear, it's a personal choice with 35's. I installed tires and rims first to see how it drove without regearing. It lugged on even the tiniest incline or when taking off at a light. And yes I did reprogram for the larger tires and waited a couple of hundred miles for the auto transmission to learn the new shift points. I may be pickier than most, but I really didn't like the performance degradation.
After regearing the engine it performed the same as with the stock tires and rims. So to me it was well worth it. Also helped get back some of the lost gas mileage.
I've got Teraflex Nomad rims and Nitto tires. Not sure on the tires, but the rims are on the heavier side.

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Guess I'll be the dissenting opinion. Firstly, I don't think you have to regear, it's a personal choice with 35's. I installed tires and rims first to see how it drove without regearing. It lugged on even the tiniest incline or when taking off at a light. And yes I did reprogram for the larger tires and waited a couple of hundred miles for the auto transmission to learn the new shift points. I may be pickier than most, but I really didn't like the performance degradation.
After regarding the engine it performed the same as with the stock tires and rims. So to me it was well worth it. Also helped get back some of the lost gas mileage.
I've got Teraflex Nomad rims and Nitto tires. Not sure on the tires, but the rims are on the heavier side.
I saw a couple videos that weighed a 35x12.5 nitto trail grappler and a 38x13.5 and they were about the same.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Adding ARB lockers, RCV front and rear and regear cost atleast $6k. You might as well look at swapping in ultimate/pro rock 44s at that point.
Very true. I'm saving the axle related goodies for last. I have zero complaints with my jeep right now. It drives and handles way better than bone stock as it sits right now. If/when my attention gets seriously pulled towards axles, I'll have a slippery slope to deal with. Prorock 44's or buy once cry once and go 60/80. If the latter, a few more tears for a hemi swap.

Nerdsmith

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport
I think the two main things to focus on here would be AT vs MT, & weight of your tire/wheel setup. My 35x12.5" kumhos with a MT transmission, def needs a regear.

Remmy

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon, 2017 F250 6.7, 2018 Expedition
Rubicon, Auto Trans, 35s...no need for re-gear...IMO

OP
OP
Dc85

Dc85

First Name
Daniele
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2018
Guys, I know it’s been a while on this

but would a 315/70/17 Tyre fit in the rubicon stock rim ? 2018jl model

thank you!

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Guys, I know it’s been a while on this

but would a 315/70/17 Tyre fit in the rubicon stock rim ? 2018jl model

thank you!
Absolutely. A 12.5 tire fits just fine on stock wheels. Tire pressure often needs to be adjusted after a size change. My 37x12.5 run and track best at about 27-28 psi on my stock wheels

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
If you have an automatic (8 spd) and live close or slightly above sea level you'll be fine with 4.10 gears. If you live at 5k+ ft.. and play above that, 4.10s won't cut it.
Sponsored