Sponsored

Fender mount GMRS antenna and under seat power (pic heavy)

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I didn’t know about the paint issue. Good to know! I’ll need to scrape mine this weekend.

Can you explain how you checked it with an ohm meter?
Using the Volt/Ohm meter, I checked at the radio end of the coax between the shield part of the connector to the ground on the passenger side. That showed continuity from the body to the shield of the coax. I also checked the tip to the shield which showed an open so I knew there was no short in the coax at any point. The only place the coax was in contact with the body was at the rear of the Jeep at the antenna mount.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
@jeepdriver99

the antenna that you linked to is fairly short. Seems like it doesn’t extend beyond your roof line. I see that you have a soft top on in the picture. Do you also have a hardtop and, if so, does this “short” antenna work equally well with a Hardtop?

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
@jeepdriver99

the antenna that you linked to is fairly short. Seems like it doesn’t extend beyond your roof line. I see that you have a soft top on in the picture. Do you also have a hardtop and, if so, does this “short” antenna work equally well with a Hardtop?
It comes about 3 inches above the soft top. I don't have a hard top. If the hard top is all fiberglass, then it shouldn't have an appreciable effect. I don't know about what effect it will have with the metallic portions of the lift gate. I do have the roll bar about a foot from the antenna but I still have great results with it and my SWR is 1.2 to 1.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
It comes about 3 inches above the soft top. I don't have a hard top. If the hard top is all fiberglass, then it shouldn't have an appreciable effect. I don't know about what effect it will have with the metallic portions of the lift gate. I do have the roll bar about a foot from the antenna but I still have great results with it and my SWR is 1.2 to 1.
Thank you!!!!!!!

Xtremetj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 Platinum, Ignot Silver, 2019 Rubicon Unlimited, Billet Silver
Occupation
Oil & Gas Environmental Rep
Following as I try and figure what I need to do.

Currently running a Uniden 760 CB but got my license to start using the GMRS radios.

I‘m not fond of the look of the antenna on the hood. Would really like to be able to use/convert my current CB antenna setup off the back of the Jeep on my JCR spare tire carrier. Is this even possible?

Sponsored

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase

Currently running a Uniden 760 CB but got my license to start using the GMRS radios.

I‘m not fond of the look of the antenna on the hood. Would really like to be able to use/convert my current CB antenna setup off the back of the Jeep on my JCR spare tire carrier. Is this even possible?
It's really a hard give and take. I too prefer to mount my antenna in the rear, but either there isn't enough space or finding a proper mount are far and few in between unless you fab one up or pay a fabricator to do it. I personally am not a 100% fan of how I have mine mounted but it works and I figured it could buy me time until there are more out on the market. I threw a bunch of GMRS antenna parts together and bought a deeper base because I wasn't sure how I wanted to do it just in case I was going to use the whip mount in a pinch. (That's why the connector hangs low). Obviously it over hangs because the mount was originally made for a CB and I had that laying around. I just made it work and haven't looked back. At some point I am going to move on from that tire carrier and that antenna set up, so that could be a factor I will consider when I cross that bridge. It has been on for about a year and worked flawlessly. The issue is the diameter of the NMO mount is a lot larger than that of a CB. Also, the frequency band of the antenna and radio is different from that of a CB as well.

rps20200511_095943.jpg

rps20200511_095902.jpg

OP
OP
mikej

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Another option is to pursue one of the puck style GMRS antennas and mount it on your sport bar. I didn’t investigate this as I knew my rack would interfere.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/gmrs-antenna-mounting.7307/page-4#post-1112849

Xtremetj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 Platinum, Ignot Silver, 2019 Rubicon Unlimited, Billet Silver
Occupation
Oil & Gas Environmental Rep

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Nice install. But it seems more complicated than necessary. I used a Comet hood GMRS NMO mount that is held on by tension screws to the hood, and fed the cable through the factory rubber grommet in the firewall - located under the brake booster and where the clutch pedal would go if you had a manual instead of the auto. Just needed to drill a small hole through the grommet and feed the cable through and seal with RTV sealant, and run it to your GMRS receiver (I installed mine in the glove box next to a Uniden CB brain box.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender mount GMRS antenna and under seat power (pic heavy) rps20200511_095902

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender mount GMRS antenna and under seat power (pic heavy) rps20200511_095902

I like the way you mounted the antenna. Do you remember which model Comet hood GMRS NMO mount you used? I took a quick look and it seems they have a few different ones.

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I like the way you mounted the antenna. Do you remember which model Comet hood GMRS NMO mount you used? I took a quick look and it seems they have a few different ones.
Here is the antenna and the hood mount. I also added an optional spring insert for the antenna that allows it to bend. Bought all of these from the Antenna Farm online.

Note: the mount comes with antenna cable long enough to reach the Midland or Ham Inside the Jeep. You need to unscrew the end of it to be able to feed the cable through the drivers side grommet. I drilled a hole from the engine compartment through the rubber grommet into the cabin, the fished the cable through the hold, then fished behind the dash. Finally, I used some RTV sealant to weather seal up the gap where the cable goes through the grommet.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender mount GMRS antenna and under seat power (pic heavy) EBC8F4B3-F59D-4143-AA24-F9248F398223

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender mount GMRS antenna and under seat power (pic heavy) CACC1335-E01A-4877-8DFC-6B987553751A

Sponsored

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Here is the antenna and the hood mount. I also added an optional spring insert for the antenna that allows it to bend. Bought all of these from the Antenna Farm online.

Note: the mount comes with antenna cable long enough to reach the Midland or Ham Inside the Jeep. You need to unscrew the end of it to be able to feed the cable through the drivers side grommet. I drilled a hole from the engine compartment through the rubber grommet into the cabin, the fished the cable through the hold, then fished behind the dash. Finally, I used some RTV sealant to weather seal up the gap where the cable goes through the grommet.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fender mount GMRS antenna and under seat power (pic heavy) CACC1335-E01A-4877-8DFC-6B987553751A

Thank you!! Time to go shopping.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
What kind of range are you guys getting? I have the Midland radios installed in my and my wife's jeeps and the range is pretty terrible, basically line of sight. It's just the factory antennae at this point and I'm looking for more range.

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
What kind of range are you guys getting? I have the Midland radios installed in my and my wife's jeeps and the range is pretty terrible, basically line of sight. It's just the factory antennae at this point and I'm looking for more range.
Any VHF/UHF radio is line-of-sight, so you're going to get similar results. The higher the antenna and more power, the further the range.

JocoRubicon

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Any issues with running the CB and GMRS antennas on the rear? I have the cool tech gmrs mount but have been considering adding a CB just for a failsafe, perhaps on the left of the spare. The question really is can I run both antenna cables along the same path, essentially together?