Sponsored

JL IIHS Crash Test Videos - Marginal Overall Safety Rating, Good Side Impact Rating

Rubidozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Jeep JLUS
Back seat passengers are dead with likely broken necks and possible internal decapitation.
Why are there still no side airbags for back seat passengers?!
Greed for profit margin and ignorant dipshits that post retarded comebacks to concerned posts..... wait, they’re typing very slowly.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
If you look JK nearly had same result. Stiffer JL chassis just tipped it over edge. I feel safer in my Wrangler than I ever did in my Camaro.. Sorry to see it tipped over. But I'll be lots of people will flip out about it...
Convertible top aside, I would assume the Camaro was way safer than the Wrangler is. It's a way smaller, way more agile car, with unibody construction, and was designed to go fast. Some convertibles do have emergency popup bar things that can help with the whole.. rollover issue, but rolling a camaro would probably be much harder than rolling a wrangler.

Part of what led me to upgrading from a JK to a JL was the hope that it would be a lot safer. So far it doesn't really look to be all that much safer than a JK. Perhaps even less safe in some aspects.

Sweet Jesus....I'm surprised you ever venture out of your house...what with the risk and all. Who's the "dipshit" that purchases said vehicle, LOL.
I like the people who talk about how cars were built so much better and stronger back in the 50s-60s. Thing is most of those cars weigh less than anything made today. They were very stylish though! I'd love to cruise around in a 300D or Cadillac from that era.

Is there anything wrong with wanting the safest vehicle realistically possible? There's a difference between designing around practical limitations, and completely not giving a shit. I'm ... not entirely sure where the wrangler's design team stands atm. Seems they were too focused on maximizing profits.

What do these videos seek to prove, that physics works? An object moving at a high rate of speed meets another object that is full of mass and stationary. The objects collide and an off center impact occurs, causing the moving object to roll sideways and continue moving in the direction it was going while the stationary object doesn’t move at all. Your physics teacher wants to know... what just happened and why? And yes, there are wrong answers.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety helps give insurance companies insight on how much they're going to have to pay out in the case of an accident. I forget how the business arrangement works, but it's in the best interest of insurance companies for you to drive a safer car. One that will lead to cheaper claims. It's also better for everyone else because again, cheaper claims. It's ironically one of the most businessy free-market kinda things ever.

The side impact video is clearly bogus. A Wrangler struck by a vehicle moving at 38.5 mph and the windshield didn’t even crack? Fake! I farted once and the windshield shattered.

Lets see Zapruder’s film of this crash.
LMAO!

I think it's because the windshield sits on that hinged frame. The windshield frame isn't really much of a structural member like it would be on most cars.

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
There is a video on YouTube with an interview of a guy from IHS. It actually did pretty well except for that corner front impact test where it rolled the jeep over. That’s pretty bad on mountain roads or if it flipped you into oncoming traffic.
It did well on impacts, and when the car is upside down it was strong enough to hold its weight and not crash in on you.

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
This is cool. I've never owned a vehicle that rolled over during a crash test before!

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Jeep people are the only vehicle owners in the world that when their vehicle rolls over in a crash test that are likeGotta love it. :rock:
Yes I’ve seen Wranglers tilt and go over sideways. But I’ve also seen people walk away from these accidents with cuts, bumps, bruises and hurt egos. But ALIVE nevertheless. Reinforcing the interior with a caged rollbar increases the chances of survival in an unfortunate accident where the Jeep lands over sideways. Poison Spyder customs made a cage for the YJ that didn’t interfere with the softtop and added more strength and rigidity to the Wrangler. Anyone know of bolt on parts or a company that makes a reinforced, new or bolt on, interior cage for the JL?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Yes I’ve seen Wranglers tilt and go over sideways. But I’ve also seen people walk away from these accidents with cuts, bumps, bruises and hurt egos. But ALIVE nevertheless. Reinforcing the interior with a caged rollbar increases the chances of survival in an unfortunate accident where the Jeep lands over sideways. Poison Spyder customs made a cage for the YJ that didn’t interfere with the softtop and added more strength and rigidity to the Wrangler. Anyone know of bolt on parts or a company that makes a reinforced, new or bolt on, interior cage for the JL?
https://www.rockhard4x4.com/Jeep_Wrangler_JL_Sport_Cages_s/489.htm

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
It's like most things. Easy to chuckle it off or say it'll never happen to you because you're the best driver ever blahblahblah… until it happens to you.

Anyone who has ever been in a serious wreck probably has a slightly different perspective on things. My brother was in a head-on collision back in high school and he's never been quite the same in a car after that. Safety is his #1 concern now, which is why he went with a GC instead of a wrangler.

And enough with picking apart the IIHS just because they get funding from insurance companies. A crash test is a crash test no matter who is funding it. The jeep isn't going to crumple a different way when it gets slammed from the side because it knows Prudential is funding the experiment.

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
I’m kinda curious to see how the JL would’ve done had it had the steel rubi bumpers instead, wonder if that would’ve made any difference?
Sponsored