NEW JL Accessory Ideas for Manufacturers

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2006 LJ, 2006 Wrangler Pickup
Do you think this could be fitted to a JL hardtop?
The JK kit won't fit the JL, but Retrofit is working on versions for both the JL and JLU. You can contact them for info.
Sponsored

*evonol*

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport
Contacted Retrofit Offroad about sliding window for hardtop Wranglers. For anyone interested, this is the response I was given politefully:
"Yes, we are planning on having them for the 2 door and 4 door JL Hardtops. Unfortunately with the Coronavirus the window manufacturer is only operating at 50% and told me that the prototypes for the JL windows are on the back burner right now. Before all this happened we hoped to have them available by the Summer. I am not sure how long it will be now."

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
I want a new bumper. Most of the cool ones have places for a winch, but I don't want a winch. I would like someone to come up with something cool that could mount in that location. Air compressor maybe? Storage box?

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I have an idea that turns the freedom tops into a non-powered sunroof that would slide on top of the roof. I think this could be done with:
  • Two center brackets that would tie the freedom tops together. These would also be used as handles to pull the top(s) down when closing. Use the existing handle bolt holes with longer bolts (leave the handles in place)
  • Two brackets above the front doors, each between the roll-bar & door. There's already mounting holes. These would be some sort of spring loaded parallelogram shaped configuration that would move the top upwards & backwards (green lines in drawing). From there there would need to be some sort of slider to move the top unit rearwards, like heavy duty drawer sliders but more robust. Maybe something with hollow tubing would work (orange lines in drawing). It would also need some sort of latching mechanism to keep the tops from sliding forwards.
iris - Copy.jpg

@Bestop Is this something you guys could build?

Last edited:

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
A cooler and a tool box that mounts to the trail rail system so thereā€™s no need to ratchet strap it down.

AKAphoenix

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently Shopping
I still need a lower seat and I haven't found Corbeau or anyone to be making one for the JL. The seat bracket sits on the metal floor so unless I Fred Flinstone the floor, it's not going any lower than it's current adjusted settings. I'm 6'3" and a lot of torso, hence my head hits the roll bar, which is concerning. Anyone know a good seat upholstery person who could design a lower profile seat with 2" less foam? Or is there a manufacturer now making this? I haven't scanned the entire internet of course, so it could be out there.

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I still need a lower seat and I haven't found Corbeau or anyone to be making one for the JL. The seat bracket sits on the metal floor so unless I Fred Flinstone the floor, it's not going any lower than it's current adjusted settings. I'm 6'3" and a lot of torso, hence my head hits the roll bar, which is concerning. Anyone know a good seat upholstery person who could design a lower profile seat with 2" less foam? Or is there a manufacturer now making this? I haven't scanned the entire internet of course, so it could be out there.
I've been looking around for one because my brother is 6'7 and has a Gladiator. I haven't found anything that could help, and I don't want to cut the seat rails or remove foam. I've been looking around the sound bar to see if the plastic could be removed. Only way to solve it right now, would be to go with an aftermarket seat.

Sponsored

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I've been looking around for one because my brother is 6'7 and has a Gladiator. I haven't found anything that could help, and I don't want to cut the seat rails or remove foam. I've been looking around the sound bar to see if the plastic could be removed. Only way to solve it right now, would be to go with an aftermarket seat.
I am also 6'7 and i've also been hunting around. I haven't looked into removing plastic from the sound bar - how much space do you imagine that creating? I'm in the same boat - because I can't sit back far enough since my head will hit the sound bar, my knee hits the bottom of the dash. My hopefully temporary solution is that i've added a 1 inch thick piece of yoga mat foam to the bottom of the dash with velcro. I've also added a piece of foam onto the sound bar in case my head hits it.

Yesterday I sent out a ton of emails to custom car modification shops and metal fabrication shops. A few have already gotten back to me, with one saying that they modify vehicles all the time for larger people.

I'm thinking the solution might be welding the bracket down and back overall, and possibly in addition, removing about 2 inches of foam from the seat itself. I've see posts where people have done both of these separately.

Chair replacement all together is out of the question since the side airbags are inside the seat.

If I can get somebody to lower the seat by 2 or 3 inches then my head will clear the sound bar. I am praying to the gods above that I can figure something out.

Other than that the jeep kicks some serious ass.

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I am also 6'7 and i've also been hunting around. I haven't looked into removing plastic from the sound bar - how much space do you imagine that creating? I'm in the same boat - because I can't sit back far enough since my head will hit the sound bar, my knee hits the bottom of the dash. My hopefully temporary solution is that i've added a 1 inch thick piece of yoga mat foam to the bottom of the dash with velcro. I've also added a piece of foam onto the sound bar in case my head hits it.

Yesterday I sent out a ton of emails to custom car modification shops and metal fabrication shops. A few have already gotten back to me, with one saying that they modify vehicles all the time for larger people.

I'm thinking the solution might be welding the bracket down and back overall, and possibly in addition, removing about 2 inches of foam from the seat itself. I've see posts where people have done both of these separately.

Chair replacement all together is out of the question since the side airbags are inside the seat.

If I can get somebody to lower the seat by 2 or 3 inches then my head will clear the sound bar. I am praying to the gods above that I can figure something out.

Other than that the jeep kicks some serious ass.
Iā€™d say removing the plastic on the sound bar would give about an inch or so. Not much, but still an improvement. I havenā€™t tried it yet because it doesnā€™t seem to bother my brother too much, but Iā€™m concerned about an accident.
The best way to do it would be to modify the seat rail as you said. Good luck with it, and let me know if you find anything out. ;)

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Removing foam from the seat bottom, replacing it with a different density, or even 2 density layers, might give you that 2-3" needed. Welding/ altering seat brackets could be a safety / liability issue
Sponsored