Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Firecracker Red 3.6L 6MT
Debating if i want to have the recall done or just upgrading to centerforce.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
They aren't spinning it. They are reving and dumping the clutch. If it stalls immediately, should be minimal/no impact to clutch. If it doesn't stall immediately and slips instead, they are supposed to replace it.

I don't love it and am concerned about the stress in other components, but not the clutch itself.
I think you are right. While it sounds pretty violent (4000rpm), if the clutch is good, there shouldn't be much slip. It just sounds awful and it certainly would be hard on the equipment. What I worry about is it being done multiple times and by a tech who may do it improperly and cause wear or undue stress. I'd really rather the tech sit in the passenger seat and let me do it. That way, I'd also see for myself how it behaves.

Ivolution

First Name
Ivo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
So, I went for my inspection today. They informed me that they had to order a "clutch sleeve"? In all my years I have never heard of this. Anyone care to educate me. I goggled it, so I have an idea but nothing came up for a Jeep. Thanks.

MarkK10

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 1999 F250 Diesel, 2007 Mustang GT, 2015 Escape
So, I went for my inspection today. They informed me that they had to order a "clutch sleeve"? In all my years I have never heard of this. Anyone care to educate me. I goggled it, so I have an idea but nothing came up for a Jeep. Thanks.
My guess is that they are referring to a protective sleeve that is placed around the hose that goes from the clutch master cylinder to the fluid reservoir.

From the dealer instruction document:
NOTE: The following PN: CSDLW123AA is to be installed on all involved vehicles. Part Number Description CSDLW123AA Part Package Each package contains the following components: Quantity: 1, Description: Sleeve, Hose

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 11.08.57 AM.png

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Called dealer, was advised to wait until a second letter so more parts are readily available.

asked if i would still be covered if the jeep blows up while i wait and was then told to bring it in now to be on the safe side lol.

Sponsored

MarkK10

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 1999 F250 Diesel, 2007 Mustang GT, 2015 Escape
Hi Guys, after several months of waiting for: a) My jeep to be built and b) The W12 recall to be solved, my dealership finally released my vehicle so I could close the deal. I cannot speak as to what the vehicle felt like before anything was made to it since the dealership would not even let me test drive it (yes, it sat on their garage for 2 months until now). The W12 Recall was completed and I have a document to share.

The Work order along with FCA's diagnosis and repair procedure (up to the Clutch Health Check Procedure).

It appears that there are several stages. It's a progressive check which can end up in a clutch replacement IF the vehicle fails the scary clutch test. I for one would have told the dealership to not do that to my vehicle and take my chances but I had no choice. At least my vehicle is factory new and if anything happens to it, warranty had to kick in.

I drove the vehicle for almost 100 miles, using back roads while observing the Engine Break In recommended procedure. Vehicle has 120 miles on it so I have not been above 55mph but so far there are no issues or smell or anything of that nature.

What I do have is that stupid "dead zone" in my steering and it is killing me. If anyone has the link to the solution in one of the treads, please share it!!

Hope this post helps some of you out there.

Thanks!!!

PD: Whole .pdf is 25 pages long and too large to upload. If you want the whole thing just PM me with an email and I will gladly send it over.
Here's a link to the W12 document on the NHTSA website with the images in color. May help to make it easier to read.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V124-1465.pdf

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Good evening Kaitlin. I called Olathe CDJR this morning to schedule my clutch recall and was also put on a wait list. The service guy told me it would be quite a while as they were only allowed to order one clutch fix every 14 days. At this rate, it might be 2023 or 2024 before mine gets checked. Sounds like there aren't nearly enough replacement parts for everybody's ride yet.
I think the dealer made a mistake. There is a part everyone needs, which is readily available. Depending on how the clutch test comes out, other parts may be needed. Those are on VIN specific ordering with a slight restriction, not as bad as 1 in 14.
We can talk to the dealer and explain and make your appointment, just send us your VIN in a PM.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Called dealer, was advised to wait until a second letter so more parts are readily available.

asked if i would still be covered if the jeep blows up while i wait and was then told to bring it in now to be on the safe side lol.
A second letter isn't coming. Parts are available now. We can make the appointment for you, send us your VIN in a PM to get started.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

StacieMay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Manual Sport S Mojito. 2016 Ram 1500 Blue Streak, 2008 Mazda 3 Sport Maunal
Hello,
I had everything they explained could happen to my 2019 at 6000K. Ended up getting a whole new upgraded clutch.
Whole front end started smoking, no fire, just smoke and major clutch smell through the whole neighborhood.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello,
I had everything they explained could happen to my 2019 at 6000K. Ended up getting a whole new upgraded clutch.
Whole front end started smoking, no fire, just smoke and major clutch smell through the whole neighborhood.

Whoa what? That happened when the dealership conducted their test??

Sponsored

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the dealer made a mistake. There is a part everyone needs, which is readily available. Depending on how the clutch test comes out, other parts may be needed. Those are on VIN specific ordering with a slight restriction, not as bad as 1 in 14.
We can talk to the dealer and explain and make your appointment, just send us your VIN in a PM.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

A second letter isn't coming. Parts are available now. We can make the appointment for you, send us your VIN in a PM to get started.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
i have an appointment scheduled already for this Friday. Will PM you if needed. Thanks

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I fail to see how air in the clutch lines results in a heat failure of the pressure plate assembly...

nunziotocci

First Name
Annunziato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Husqvarna Svartpilen 701
I fail to see how air in the clutch lines results in a heat failure of the pressure plate assembly...
You're guess is as good (probably better) than mine, but it's good that we're getting it fixed anyway. I've always thought that the clutch felt weird. The only reason I dismissed it was I previously had a sample size of one.

WaldorfJL

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Got my appointment for Friday morning...many thanks to Jeep Cares for getting it scheduled, after the dealer said to wait.....

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I dropped mine off yesterday, less than 2 hours later I got a call, need a new clutch, I’m getting it back Friday!
Sponsored