Sponsored

Mojave Wrangler Reportedly On The Way

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Looks like the Mojave will be offered in the wrangler. Im guessing it'll be at the top of pricing.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/05/jeep-wrangler-mojave/

Jeep Wrangler Mojave may be ready to join Gladiator Mojave in the desert for 2021

Said to come with turbo four-cylinder as standard, possibly with a six-speed manual

There was no doubt Jeep would expand its Desert Rated lineup beyond the Gladiator Mojave (pictured), the question was when. Mopar Insiders tapped its sources for info that the 2021 Jeep Wrangler gets its Mojave makeover, available in standard two-door and Unlimited four-door versions. According to those insiders, the major difference between the desert-focused Gladiator and Wrangler will be engine; the Gladiator Mojave only offers the 3.6-liter Pentastar V6, but the Wrangler Mojave is said to "more than likely" come standard with the 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder. More eyebrow-raising, MI's sources suggested the four-cylinder would come in two versions, the one with electronic stop-start (ESS) sold now, shifting through a six-speed manual, and another with FCA's eTorque mild-hybrid system shifting through an eight-speed automatic.

Engine output would be the same 270 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque in both cases, unchanged from the current numbers. What's odd is that at the moment, Jeep only offers the four-cylinder with ESS with an eight-speed automatic; the engine is a no-cost option, but the transmission adds $1,500. If MI is correct, the Mojave would widen options for the four-cylinder. And MI didn't mention it, but since the Wrangler Rubicon trim that would be the basis for the Mojave also offers the 3.6-liter V6 and 3.0-liter diesel, it's too soon to rule those out as other engine possibilities.

Otherwise, the changes will come straight from the Gladiator Mojave. That means a ladder-frame chassis beefed up at the suspension mounts, a wider track, cast iron steering knuckles, stiffer rear Dana 44 axle and larger rear track bar, electronic-locking rear differential, a one-inch suspension lift thanks to Fox 2.5-inch internal bypass shocks with external reservoirs, and Fox hydraulic jounce dampers that replace bump stops up front. The non-Rubicon Command-Trac 4x4 transfer case houses 2.72:1 low-range gearing for a higher potential top speed than possible with the Rubicon's Rock-Trac 4x4 and 4.00:1 gearing. The 17-inch wheels with slightly more offset will wear 33-inch Falken Wildpeak All-Terrains. The Off-Road Plus driving mode will get the upgrades working their best in unison.

The Mojave will port orange-tinted cosmetic changes, too. Expect the "performance" hood with Mojave script, orange tow hooks, a silver skid plate in front, new side rails outside. Inside, Copperhead Orange stitching lashes up the instrument panel, steering wheel, and seats with additional bolstering. Assuming a six-speed manual availability with the four-cylinder, the Wrangler Mojave shouldn't move much off the Rubicon's $43,690 MSRP.

Mopar Insiders says we'll see the new SUV this year. After that, we figure the Deserthawk models Jeep promised two years should begin emerging from the pipeline.
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
but the Wrangler Mojave is said to "more than likely" come standard with the 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder. More eyebrow-raising, MI's sources suggested the four-cylinder would come in two versions, the one with electronic stop-start (ESS) sold now, shifting through a six-speed manual, and another with FCA's eTorque mild-hybrid system shifting through an eight-speed automatic.
360?cb=20121205194537.jpg

Sponsored

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
I really woke up when a manual transmission was teased for the 2.0T. THAT will be the best part..
I had to read that part three times to make sure I wasn't misreading it. That would be awesome and a great reason to buy a 2 door to go along with my 4 door Rubi.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I really woke up when a manual transmission was teased for the 2.0T. THAT will be the best part..
With all the recalls and design flaws associated with the clutch, not sure how I feel about getting the manual.

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I had to read that part three times to make sure I wasn't misreading it. That would be awesome and a great reason to buy a 2 door to go along with my 4 door Rubi.
Something about 2-door's wheelbase and high speed desert driving doesn't seem right...

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully along the same lines as the MOAB. Since they can use the MOAB name anymore. So we will have JLUMJ and JLUM
What is the JLUMJ? I could see JLUM and JLM

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase
Something about 2-door's wheelbase and high speed desert driving doesn't seem right...
All they made for over 60 years was a 2 door. I think it will do just fine in the desert.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
All they made for over 60 years was a 2 door. I think it will do just fine in the desert.
Have you ever tried to drift a CJ-5?

Longer wheelbase is generally easier to control in high speed/low grip situations.
Sponsored