Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Just got my recall in the mail. I burst out laughing. This is exactly what I would expect from FCA: Clutches are exploding due to a bad design and their only solution is to shield something from the flying parts, so it won't catch on fire. Engines and clutches have been around a long, long time. Plenty of time to get them "right." With FCA, my engine has never run right and now my clutch might explode. You can't make this stuff up.
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just got my recall in the mail. I burst out laughing. This is exactly what I would expect from FCA: Clutches are exploding due to a bad design and their only solution is to shield something from the flying parts, so it won't catch on fire. Engines and clutches have been around a long, long time. Plenty of time to get them "right." With FCA, my engine has never run right and now my clutch might explode. You can't make this stuff up.
I'm extra glad now that I didn't wait for the recall. Their fix is shielding the master cylinder line so debris doesn't cut through it and start a fire. It's kinda mind boggling the inspection. They are faulting the clutch hydraulics as not being bled properly for the failures. Problem with that, is that the only time it would affect you is during shifts. Your foot is off the gas, how much heat could you be putting into the discs? Not to mention the whole hard shifting that would cause someone to stop driving it like that.

I'm totally sticking to my original analysis. They don't have the means to quickly or cheaply redesign the flywheel and clutch. They are doing this as a band-aid to move parked inventory. There will be a second recall a year or so from now when they actually figure out how they are going to fix the real problem. They are hoping the shields will prevent fires, keeping the failures out of the news and buying them time. Ridiculous.

Unfortunately, now I'm doubting I'm going to get any kind of reimbursement for my Centerforce.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
The detailed repair procedure finally indirectly explains the root issue. It seems to be the wiring harness clip causing damage to the low pressure reservoir hose that feeds into the clutch master cylinder and thus allowing air in the system. It doesn't appear that any wiring harness has anything to do with being an ignition source as previously speculated.

What is still unclear to me is why air in the clutch hydraulic system would case clutch failure. My understanding is that would cause issues with disengagement, not engagement.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The detailed repair procedure finally indirectly explains the root issue. It seems to be the wiring harness clip causing damage to the low pressure reservoir hose that feeds into the clutch master cylinder and thus allowing air in the system. It doesn't appear that any wiring harness has anything to do with being an ignition source as previously speculated.

What is still unclear to me is why air in the clutch hydraulic system would case clutch failure. My understanding is that would cause issues with disengagement, not engagement.
Exactly. It can't cause slipping other than not fully releasing when trying to change gears... and that's fairly noticeable to even novice drivers.

Boogerburns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Exactly. It can't cause slipping other than not fully releasing when trying to change gears... and that's fairly noticeable to even novice drivers.
With modern hydraulics it can still put enough force on the throwout bearing to disengage the clutch plate enough to not cause the synchromesh gears to grind, but not enough of disengagement to not slip the clutch, causing heat build up. Not saying you're wrong, I do agree, if you're grinding gears, a good manual driver would notice that and stop driving it immediately. But with the semi-failure, it would be hard to feel, and hard to catch without smelling the clutch, or having the catastrophic failure as described.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. I'm of a mind to just tell them to install the shield and leave mine alone. Mine has already been through the smoke test with my bro-in-law and wife. It doesn't need to go through that again. I'm at 30k with no issues, so I'm betting its fine.

Anyway, I will probably talk to my dealer. Their manual transmission tech is very good. He's fixed my JK's original transmission, doing almost a complete rebuild, and then replaced it with a newly reman tranny and then replaced the clutch. He did it all correctly, the first time, each time, with perfect adjustments. I'm going to find out what he recommends. My money says he'll tell me to just get the shield and he'll bleed it as a precaution.

In my mind that dopey clutch health procedure will take 20k of life off the clutch, even if it passes.

WaldorfJL

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Called the dealer today...not the one that is 5 minutes from the house...as they are jerks. Was told the recall requires an inspection prior, to see what parts would be needed...however, any parts that may be needed, are unavailable....soooooooo.....wait.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Called the dealer today...not the one that is 5 minutes from the house...as they are jerks. Was told the recall requires an inspection prior, to see what parts would be needed...however, any parts that may be needed, are unavailable....soooooooo.....wait.
All of the parts are currently available. What dealer did you speak with?
If you'd like us to schedule an appointment for you, feel free to send us a PM with your VIN.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

WaldorfJL

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
If you'd like us to schedule an appointment for you, feel free to send us a PM with your VIN.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Prince Frederick Jeep.....PM incoming...

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I'm extra glad now that I didn't wait for the recall. Their fix is shielding the master cylinder line so debris doesn't cut through it and start a fire. It's kinda mind boggling the inspection. They are faulting the clutch hydraulics as not being bled properly for the failures. Problem with that, is that the only time it would affect you is during shifts. Your foot is off the gas, how much heat could you be putting into the discs? Not to mention the whole hard shifting that would cause someone to stop driving it like that.

I'm totally sticking to my original analysis. They don't have the means to quickly or cheaply redesign the flywheel and clutch. They are doing this as a band-aid to move parked inventory. There will be a second recall a year or so from now when they actually figure out how they are going to fix the real problem. They are hoping the shields will prevent fires, keeping the failures out of the news and buying them time. Ridiculous.

Unfortunately, now I'm doubting I'm going to get any kind of reimbursement for my Centerforce.
Did you really think you would get any reimbursement?

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Awesome...so we get to make 2 trips to the dealer. First, so they can do their clutch health procedure(smoke my clutch) and then go back to have a shield put on and have clutch bled. I'll pass..

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Did you really think you would get any reimbursement?
Let's say I was "mildly optimistic" when I assumed they would be replacing everyone's clutch and flywheel. Now that they are going cheap, they probably aren't going to

Boogerburns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Let's say I was "mildly optimistic" when I assumed they would be replacing everyone's clutch and flywheel. Now that they are going cheap, they probably aren't going to
Can't argue with that logic. I don't foresee them replacing everyone's flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and fix the hydro stuff.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Welp, this thread got good. I’m not letting anyone intentionally dump my clutch in 4th at WOT. F*ck that with a capital F.

Mine drives great, and always has. I must be lucky because my “clutch feel” is just fine.

I’m going to leave things alone. Maybe by the time this pandemic blows over they’ll have come up with a better test procedure.

Last edited:

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep went under the knife today. There are a number if stages involved (5, I think?) with the inspection. I'm told the scope of work within those tiers range from basic inspection and cleaning to total transmission replacement. Mine was diagnosed as a stage 4. Good news is the Jeep will be returned with new clutch components, the bad news is that's about a week away. Parts are available, though the deeper into the stages you are, the more parts and time are needed. We have a great service department here, and I'm quite pleased with how Jeep's handled this.

I was provided with a loaner, which is nice. The funny thing is it's a base model Sport (Crank windows!), and driving it is quite the shock factor when leaving behind a built Rubicon. Have to hand it to @Rock Krawler Suspension, as I knew my suspension rode well, but riding in the base Sport today really proved how superior the RK gear is.

Now for the wait...
Sponsored