Service
Nevada.......
STOP LAMPS NRS 484.555
• Mounted on the rear of the vehicle
• Display a red, amber or yellow light
• Visible from at least 300 to the rear in normal sunlight
• Be activated upon application of the brake
• May be incorporated with the tail lamp
* Vehicles manufactured before July 1, 1969 must have at least one stop lamp if they were originally
equipped with only one stop lamp

Also asked about this and was told as long as it can be seen from 300 ft in daylight light the factory tail lights.
This is as bright if not brighter then the factory CHMSL.

Ron
Ah, Nevada. You can remove it entirely there, as only 2 are required.
Sponsored

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a pic with the CHMSL ( center high mount stop light )
KvC8sTb.jpg
Thanks. I'm going to do this. In my opinion, this is the best looking CHMSL option. Did you have to increase the diameter by a 1/2" to clear the camera pod thing? Thanks

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How did you mod the AEV on e to make it work?
He just bored out the center hole by 1/2" and cut the wires and put his own plug on it. He also stated that he had to bore out the holes on the little friction washers that go on the wheel studs. Seems pretty easy. I ordered one, but it is going to be a while before I ever do it. I'm waiting for my AEV wheels to arrive and I don't expect the wheel for my spare until they lift the SIP order in Michigan so AEV can go back to work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
77RRAD

77RRAD

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What PSDTime said!

Sponsored

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Although I haven't had a chance to complete this project of using a the JK version of the AEV 3rd brake light, I decided to get done what I could. Since I don't have good metal working tools (or skills) at home, I decided to measure what size the hole needs to be so I could use a grinder at work. I measured the base of the camera projection thing at 2.63". So, I figured I had to bore out the hole of the AEV bracket to at least that number. The problem is that if I was to do that, there would only be about 1/8" of metal left. I asked a fabricator at my work who was able to add some more metal and bore a larger hole. I'm not sure how necessary is was since the LED is so small and light, likely only the top two holes would be enough to support it. I'm still waiting on my new wheel for my spare tire (AEV is shut down for Covid), so I won't be going any further on this until it arrives. I may have over thought it a bit, but I am still glad I went this route and wanted to thank 77RAD again because I know it is going to look good when it is done. The LED is so small that it is just going to basically disappear when not on.

IMG_20200426_095521.jpg

IMG_20200426_101803.jpg

How big the hole needs to be.
IMG_20200427_072127.jpg

Before
IMG_20200504_125813.jpg

After

View attachment 315803

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Sometimes I ask myself:

WWSCBFBBD

What Would Super Colossal Big Fat Boss Baby Do

6C63C344-A4A1-417C-83CE-9FE2CBB85B89.png

thats definitely a government term. i think i have to use that term at the post office.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
couldnt you just stick your head out the side window and yell "i'm stopping @$$h*le". its much more effective and cheap.

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
couldnt you just stick your head out the side window and yell "i'm stopping @$$h*le". its much more effective and cheap.
Probably, but once I was into it, might as well finish it. The fab work was free since he is my employee and I think he just wanted to impress me with doing way better of a job than he should have especially considering it will be completely hidden. AEV should ask for it back to use as a template. It now will fit the JK, JL and maybe even the TJ now.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Probably, but once I was into it, might as well finish it. The fab work was free since he is my employee and I think he just wanted to impress me with doing way better of a job than he should have especially considering it will be completely hidden. AEV should ask for it back to use as a template. It now will fit the JK, JL and maybe even the TJ now.
definitely a nice universal setup. should make them and sell them, since its a fit all model type deal.

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got my spare wheel from AEV and changed the light yesterday and I'm happy with the result. Would I do it again? Probably not. It the bracket needed no modifications however, I would. It was a nice little Covid project. I was surprised on how noticeable removing the stock stop light was in my rear view mirror. One issue that I could anticipate is that this wouldn't be good solution for a lot of rims out there and for that reason, I would be surprised if AEV makes a kit that is designed for the JL. Thanks again to the OP on the idea.

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV CHMSL...... IMG_20200520_152959

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV CHMSL...... IMG_20200520_153418

Simsy71

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Okay so I have a white+green wire and a black wire coming out of the Jeep JL. Am I correct in understanding the Black with white stripe wire on the AEV light should be attached to the white+green wire from the JL? I thinking I won't hurt anything if I get it wrong but better safe than sorry. Thanks for any advice!

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Okay so I have a white+green wire and a black wire coming out of the Jeep JL. Am I correct in understanding the Black with white stripe wire on the AEV light should be attached to the white+green wire from the JL? I thinking I won't hurt anything if I get it wrong but better safe than sorry. Thanks for any advice!
Sorry, I do not remember which wire goes where, but you can test it with a 9V battery.

Simsy71

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Thank you for the suggestion. Funny I had thought of that too but for the avoidance of doubt I thought I'd ask. Of course your suggestion worked - the wire with the white strip is indeed the positive, the all black is the negative. Now I can get on with my project!
Sponsored