Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hella Yella 2019 JLU, Copperhead Pearl 2014 JK
Occupation
Transportation
Vehicle Showcase
What legs and crossbars did you go with? I have been wanting to order the backbone system, but I can't find info on what the difference is between legs and crossbars are.
Here is the parts break down from the kit I ordered. With hindsight being 20/20 I should have gone with bars instead of the platform/

Article Number JB0893 is made up of the following parts

Sponsored

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
Anybody else have issues with the nuts that the rack risers mount to not staying in the "up" position and falling down against the roof?

I can't install my rear rack at the moment because of it. I don't really want to break the seal and remove them from the Jeep so I am trying to figure out how to keep them up without taking them off. I'm thinking of injecting some loctite into the hole and then threading a screw into the hold to pull the nut up.

ZeroFox

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
diabolicalinc.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Diabolical Inc
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody else have issues with the nuts that the rack risers mount to not staying in the "up" position and falling down against the roof?

I can't install my rear rack at the moment because of it. I don't really want to break the seal and remove them from the Jeep so I am trying to figure out how to keep them up without taking them off. I'm thinking of injecting some loctite into the hole and then threading a screw into the hold to pull the nut up.
You have a pic of what your talking about? I just installed this system this weekend, not without difficulty, but I can't wrap my head around what your describing.

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have a pic of what your talking about? I just installed this system this weekend, not without difficulty, but I can't wrap my head around what your describing.
Unfortunately I did not get a picture.

The 6 cast aluminum pieces you mounted to the roof each had an M6 nut that was embedded in them. On 2 of mine the nut came dislodged and was "floating" inside the casting. Not sure if that makes sense?

I had to remove the cast aluminum pieces, glue the nut in place and reinstall. Hopefully that does not result in a leak, but I'm kind of annoyed with Rhino Rack over it.

ogarci79

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Engineer
Unfortunately I did not get a picture.

The 6 cast aluminum pieces you mounted to the roof each had an M6 nut that was embedded in them. On 2 of mine the nut came dislodged and was "floating" inside the casting. Not sure if that makes sense?

I had to remove the cast aluminum pieces, glue the nut in place and reinstall. Hopefully that does not result in a leak, but I'm kind of annoyed with Rhino Rack over it.
Yes, this was annoying. Rhino Rack sent replacements out pretty quickly. I don't know if they superglue the nuts in but 2 of mine were screwed up-pun intended. Luckily they made it right by sending out new ones, but its a bit of an inconvenience. You could tinker with it yourself if you want to go through the hassle. I just drove around without 2 mounts for a few days.

Sponsored

ZeroFox

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
diabolicalinc.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Diabolical Inc
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, this was annoying. Rhino Rack sent replacements out pretty quickly. I don't know if they superglue the nuts in but 2 of mine were screwed up-pun intended. Luckily they made it right by sending out new ones, but its a bit of an inconvenience. You could tinker with it yourself if you want to go through the hassle. I just drove around without 2 mounts for a few days.
Biggest Issue I had was one of the slats was missing a end cap/nut, and the lack of pre-drilled holes that accurately position the crossbars for mounting to the backbone itself.

upload_2020-5-4_20-52-27.png

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, mine intermittently cuts out as well. I've been needing to relocate the antenna for a while but just haven't gotten around to it. I'll have to look around to see what other folks are doing before I attempt, but I think its pretty par for the course with that system and the JLUR.
@Mud Wasp @mikej @ogarci79

I relocated my antenna after installing my RTT. Took some pictures and added to my build thread if you need info.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/let-the-good-times-roll-in-my-first-jeep.25409/

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the parts break down from the kit I ordered. With hindsight being 20/20 I should have gone with bars instead of the platform/

Article Number JB0893 is made up of the following parts

any idea how much all of this stuff weighs? i found a 72x56 pioneer platform on RR website that weighs 56lbs but that doesnt take into account all of the other hardware and backbone system.

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
any idea how much all of this stuff weighs? i found a 72x56 pioneer platform on RR website that weighs 56lbs but that doesnt take into account all of the other hardware and backbone system.
My Rhino rack with bars weighs 45lbs total i believe.

Sponsored

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's very interesting. I may consider selling my Gobi rack for the weight savings.
Correction, i think the backbone components were 45lbs. The aero bars i used were pretty light though. Sorry for the confusion.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Correction, i think the backbone components were 45lbs. The aero bars i used were pretty light though. Sorry for the confusion.
ok, so 45ish pounds plus the bars or 45ish pounds plus the pioneer platform? I can still shave 75 pounds if I sell the Gobi and switch to this backbone system.

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ok, so 45ish pounds plus the bars or 45ish pounds plus the pioneer platform? I can still shave 75 pounds if I sell the Gobi and switch to this backbone system.
I think your total weight would be 45lbs for the backbone plus the weight of whatever roof rack system you want (cross bars for me or pioneer rack if you go that route).

Mud Wasp

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hella Yella 2019 JLU, Copperhead Pearl 2014 JK
Occupation
Transportation
Vehicle Showcase
The whole set adds quite a bit of wieght to the hard top. I'm guessing it is about 80 lbs total back bone and platform. I am seriously considering selling my platform and replacing it with HD bars. The platform is said to hold approximately 270 lbs of equipment while driving and if I remember correctly 800 while parked.

Joshrs

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

happened to me 2. Had to completely remove the platform both times

my solution was stupid simple. I tried some glue at first that failed so I put a small bit of Shop cloth around the nut and jammed in into the mounting plate.
It held so I could re-install the feet.
What a mess had to re-silicon the whole thing twice.

I also found it annoying that the foot bolt I was provided Was to long. It exposed through the mount plate and made contact with the roof lifting the mount off the roof an 1/8”....the rhino rack is nice once it’s done but it’s definitely not a easy install by any means.
Sponsored