Sponsored

Allegedly Defective Sway Bars in Jeeps and Rams Can Disconnect at Highway Speeds: Lawsuit

JimmyDenn

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK rubicon
From the article:
"[…] the electronic circuit board for the sway bar disconnect is in a housing with seals that are prone to failure and is located in an area that is likely to get wet or sprayed under ordinary or expected conditions, such as driving over puddles or in the rain. Failure of the circuit board occurs when liquid or contaminants breach a seal of the housing, resulting in a disconnected or malfunctioning sway bar. In some instances, the electronic sway bar disconnect will fail and not reconnect, forcing the driver to drive on roads and highways without a sway-bar."
|

upload_2020-4-29_11-47-58.gif

upload_2020-4-29_11-47-58.gif
When my Defective electronic Sway Bar disconnect failed, I was unable to shut the Jeep off. When I took out the key it continued to run and after about ten minutes of turning the key on and off it finally shut down. Some of the error codes where for speed control and CAN Bus Failure and too many others to list but I’m positive they were a result of the CAN Bus being taken down by the Sway disconnect control board failure. My initial findings are that the failures are a result of poorly applied and insufficient conformal coating of the control board resulting in ECM- electrochemical migration between component pins and the Traces on the PCB surface of different voltage potentials mainly 12V and ground resulting in a gradual voltage breakdown and heat buildup increasing electromigration to the point the migration offers a low enough Impedance in combination with the breakdown of the dielectric to generate the final outcome of catastrophic material and or component failure. Solutions to reduce the chance for electromigration is to properly coat the PCB by dipping the PCB in conformal coating or properly spraying to achieve the level of protection needed. There is also insufficient amount of hydrophobic grease in the mechanical portion of the assemble and sealing of the connectors.

It’s a shame customer need to suffer because of greed and having this assembly built by the lowest bidder. My PCB looked like it was coated by a ten-year-old slave laborer in china that is given Meth to work long hours and I’m not just throwing out insults. We are all guilty of turning a blind eye to the truth.

Swaybar-pcb1.jpg
Sponsored

JimmyDenn

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK rubicon
Next Jeep will force you to drive with a flat tire....
When my Defective electronic Sway Bar disconnect failed, I was unable to shut the Jeep off. When I took out the key it continued to run and after about ten minutes of turning the key on and off it finally shut down. Some of the error codes where for speed control and CAN Bus Failure and too many others to list but I’m positive they were a result of the CAN Bus being taken down by the Sway disconnect control board failure. My initial findings are that the failures are a result of poorly applied and insufficient conformal coating of the control board resulting in ECM- electrochemical migration between component pins and the Traces on the PCB surface of different voltage potentials mainly 12V and ground resulting in a gradual voltage breakdown and heat buildup increasing electromigration to the point the migration offers a low enough Impedance in combination with the breakdown of the dielectric to generate the final outcome of catastrophic material and or component failure. Solutions to reduce the chance for electromigration is to properly coat the PCB by dipping the PCB in conformal coating or properly spraying to achieve the level of protection needed. There is also insufficient amount of hydrophobic grease in the mechanical portion of the assemble and sealing of the connectors.

It’s a shame customer need to suffer because of greed and having this assembly built by the lowest bidder. My PCB looked like it was coated by a ten-year-old slave laborer in china that is given Meth to work long hours and I’m not just throwing out insults. We are all guilty of turning a blind eye to the truth.

Swaybar-pcb1.jpg

DWJL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unltd
This is the recall notice I got. This is for the control arm. Different issue or possibly related?

3CA64AA9-1605-4381-B084-87075BA3ED84.jpeg

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Engineering Design 101: Electro-mechanical systems are only as good as their mechanical backups.
Sponsored