Sponsored

Broken soft top lift arm assembly

Driggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Does anyone know how to remove the broken arm from the folding mechanism on the JL soft top? This is the drivers side on a 4 door. For whatever reason to replace the drivers side on a 4 door is $450. While it’s around $120 for the passenger and $120 for either side on a 2 door.

DBF394E1-1E36-4A4A-AAE0-430060B0070D.jpeg
Sponsored

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I also need one of these. Did you find anywhere to get them less expensive ?

OP
OP
Driggs

Driggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I also need one of these. Did you find anywhere to get them less expensive ?
Quadratec.com was the cheapest I’ve seen. Dealers were the worst. I paid $550 for the original broken replacement, only to break itself in a different way. I ended up taking the broken metal off that one and replacing it with a good arm on a broken folding mechanism from another. Yeah, I had two break on me in different places.

Srl94mp

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler unlimited
Quadratec.com was the cheapest I’ve seen. Dealers were the worst. I paid $550 for the original broken replacement, only to break itself in a different way. I ended up taking the broken metal off that one and replacing it with a good arm on a broken folding mechanism from another. Yeah, I had two break on me in different places.
How does the folding arm come off the hinge, I have the bolt off. Is it supposed to slide off??

OP
OP
Driggs

Driggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
How does the folding arm come off the hinge, I have the bolt off. Is it supposed to slide off??
It sort of slides off but it’s pressed on their tight. With the bolt off, I took the claw end of a hammer and placed it between the folding arm and the mechanism as close to where they meet as you can. Then with another hammer hit the two heads of the hammer. It came loose with one tap. Don’t know if this is the safest way to do it but it’s the only way I could figure out. Bestop and Chrysler wouldn’t help me when I reached out.

Sponsored

hjr2122

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
It sort of slides off but it’s pressed on their tight. With the bolt off, I took the claw end of a hammer and placed it between the folding arm and the mechanism as close to where they meet as you can. Then with another hammer hit the two heads of the hammer. It came loose with one tap. Don’t know if this is the safest way to do it but it’s the only way I could figure out. Bestop and Chrysler wouldn’t help me when I reached out.
Did anyone have better luck? Still trying to remove the arm from the mechanism.

20200706_171411.jpg

elieah

First Name
Elie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I have the same issue here.... need to remove the arm to replace it.... but very hard to pull out... and it's even seized (doesnt move at all, not even in unlocked position). Any help?

jlepscier

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara
I just bent this going into the garage with my soft top in sunrider. First time since putting on the 2" lift :facepalm:. I ordered a replacement folding mechanism from just jeeps. Curious if anyone has any info or tips on replacing it? Is it easier just to replace the arm instead of the full folding mechanism? I've searched the forums and youtube but can't seem to find any info on replacement! Thanks!

OP
OP
Driggs

Driggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I just bent this going into the garage with my soft top in sunrider. First time since putting on the 2" lift :facepalm:. I ordered a replacement folding mechanism from just jeeps. Curious if anyone has any info or tips on replacing it? Is it easier just to replace the arm instead of the full folding mechanism? I've searched the forums and youtube but can't seem to find any info on replacement! Thanks!
The full folding mechanism plus arm will be easier to replace than just the arm, but cost a lot more. I’ve done it both ways. The arm does come off and will go back on, just annoying.

jlepscier

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara
The full folding mechanism plus arm will be easier to replace than just the arm, but cost a lot more. I’ve done it both ways. The arm does come off and will go back on, just annoying.
I ordered the whole folding mechanism, it was the passenger side, which seems to be the cheaper one, for $125. I haven't taken it apart yet, the only question I have is how the arm and cable connects to the soft top to pull it back. Looks like the arm is just one bolt and slips in. Is the cable easy to move from the old to the new mechanism?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Driggs

Driggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I ordered the whole folding mechanism, it was the passenger side, which seems to be the cheaper one, for $125. I haven't taken it apart yet, the only question I have is how the arm and cable connects to the soft top to pull it back. Looks like the arm is just one bolt and slips in. Is the cable easy to move from the old to the new mechanism?
I’ve only done the drivers side but I’m assuming it’s the same. From what I remember (been awhile), the cable has a piece that slides into the mechanism, it’s meant to be removable. Hardest part was just removing a plastic clip that pushes into the mechanism to hold the cable in place. I believe the arm connects to the top with just a couple screws and a spot to slide some fabric through.

KNN

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Diesel
Been there. Done that. 🤦🏽‍♂️ Used one of those three arm gear puller tools to separate the old arm from the mechanism. GL!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Broken soft top lift arm assembly D4CC74A6-F6CA-429C-BB17-8DCF195246BB
Jeep Wrangler JL Broken soft top lift arm assembly 033DE6F6-F4B2-4821-9CB2-E9FA765FCB62

BigToeGhost

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JL Tuscadero Peral
I just went through this last night. I had bought on Amazon "Amerbm Two Jaw Bearing Puller Remover 30mm - 90mm Adjustable Puller Tool for Special Design for Narrow Spaces Removal Small Bearing"

This tool will pop off the arm. I did put a small C-clamp on the legs of the tool to keep them from spreading when applying pressure.

Link to tool: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XYNH2W2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

hjr2122

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads