seb34567

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pavillonbasilieres.com
Vehicle(s)
Roxor LE 2018, Ram 1500 classic 2019, Suzuki XL7 2007, Nissan Leaf 2014, Mazda B4000 2010
Occupation
Outfitter
Owned many Jeeps. Jeeps have always sucked, some worse than others.

They are very specialized vehicles that share little with other vehicles. They require unique blank-slate parts which is a challenge unto itself for the manufacturer and the supplier. As a result, stuff doesn't always work right, or at least not well.

Compared to the blatant cost-cutting exercise that was the JK, the JL is a much better vehicle. I have no howling throwout bearing, no spun crank bearing, no butter-soft 2-cent transfer case cable bushings disabling my vehicle, no locker disengagement issues, no fart-on-it-and-it-dents body, no pathetic axle bracketry...to barely scratch the surface of the JK. Of course, the JL costs too damn much. I'm too new into my JL ownership to find out what exactly they screwed up this time around. But time will tell. And there will be things.

Owning a Jeep has always been a love/hate relationship, that moves back and forth between love and hate frequently and violently. You just know that going in, and deal with it (or not).

Is it worth the headache versus driving vanilla, boring, ambien-on-wheels that makes up 85% of the new vehicle market? Only you can decide that.
I wish we could have more choice in Canada. I went to Island and I was shocked about all the 4x4 they have. I never saw or knew most of them, brand and models. Many seemed new but without electric windows or all useless options. Like the original wrangler and similar to the Suzuki jimny... If the wrangler could have some competitors everyone would be happy I think.
Sponsored

Aenima

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Ruby
LSD's that eat themselves not blank slate. I see some want to blame Spicer. Ok.

Steering gears not blank slate, very old technology.

Clutches that don't catch on fire not blank slate, very old technology.

Welds that actually pass over the weld joint, not new technology. Welds with minimal porosity, not asking too much.

Proper caster from the factory, er.... that's just physics and Automotive Alignment 101. Not new technology.
Yeah...I can't argue with any of this. Luckily we all get to pay 40k+ for the privilege.

I can't believe that standard practice is using clutch pack LSDs. So dumb. There is a magical thing called a TrueTrac that Jeep is apparently too cheap to use.

Foster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Eh, I dunno....there is a middle ground. I'm personally not concerned with the issues, largely 'cause I can fix them myself if needed, and my JL is a toy, not my primary driver. OTOH I don't blame people for being upset, the lack of quality control is so absurd I can't help but chuckle.

I'm glad people complain and they should - nothing else I can see will force Jeep to TRY to do better, aside from a slew of lawsuits and government involvement, and that only ever equals more nannies and stupid "safety" things like AutoPark, so I do NOT want that route
That's true. I honestly don't understand why that one guy is mad at people for complaining about their vehicles.
All manufacturers have issues, that's true, but you can't be mad at someone when they complain about spending $100k on 2 vehicles and they both have issues. There are even people on here who say windows randomly rolling down itself isn't a real issue, it must never rain where they live then. Imagine buying 2 vehicles that have issues and not being mad..
If I got 2 vehicles from the same manufacturer and both had issues, I wouldn't buy from them again.
I love my Jeep and got one with no issues, but I'm not gonna go and insult people venting about buying one that does have issues. To the guy I'm referencing, sorry for not tagging you, don't wanna go back on the pages and read all your responses to find the right one to reply to.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Bottom line is lots of people purchase Wranglers.

Few people purchase a second.
Usually the whiners complain people keep buying Wranglers over and over again despite how shitty they are specifically mentioning it gives FCA no incentive to improve quality. Now the narrative is repeat ownership is actually rare with Wranglers. Interesting.

Another great example of people believing what they want to believe.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
This thread is a bitch session for the few owners that do have problems. And I have been on other mfg. forums and they all have this same hysteria of this is the worst vehicle ever made, Toyota (substitute any other car company name) should be out of business.
That's whats really annoying with this forum. It's not that many people don't have valid complaints. What's annoying is the notion that Jeep is the only brand with issues and other manufacturers are utopias apparently. One foolish comment actually said Lexuses never have problems because his never did. Using that logic all of complaints on here are invalid because both of my Wranglers have been perfect. Generally speaking this forum is cringier than facebook and that's noteworthy.

Sponsored

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
That's whats really annoying with this forum. It's not that many people don't have valid complaints. What's annoying is the notion that Jeep is the only brand with issues and other manufacturers are utopias apparently. One foolish comment actually said Lexuses never have problems because his never did. Using that logic all of complaints on here are invalid because both of my Wranglers have been perfect. Generally speaking this forum is cringier than facebook and that's noteworthy.
No..they ALL have problems. Every manufacturer.

Problem is, when they know it's an issue, and pretend it isn't. There cant be, what, 6, maybe 7 out of 10 owners saying the same thing and it isn't an issue. No one wants to drive something that makes them nervous to drive. If they'd acknowledge it, and actually say they are working on it, it'd go a long way (provided they are).

Eta i totally pulled that percentage out of my arse...suffice to say, it's a lot.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No..they ALL have problems. Every manufacturer.

Problem is, when they know it's an issue, and pretend it isn't. There cant be, what, 6, maybe 7 out of 10 owners saying the same thing and it isn't an issue. No one wants to drive something that makes them nervous to drive. If they'd acknowledge it, and actually say they are working on it, it'd go a long way (provided they are).

Eta i totally pulled that percentage out of my arse...suffice to say, it's a lot.
6, maybe 7 out of 10 owners saying what?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Steering being a complaint/ issue.
I think it is more like 11 out of 10 owners saying it. If even 1 out of 10 or 1 out of 100 saying it the NHTSA would have done a recall. But they don't have many complaints on it. They have 228 steering complaints on the 2019 of 228,000 sold.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Where do you get your stat "few people purchase a second"? That's plain stupid. Look at how many on the forum have multiple Wranglers. This thread is a bitch session for the few owners that do have problems. And I have been on other mfg. forums and they all have this same hysteria of this is the worst vehicle ever made, Toyota (substitute any other car company name) should be out of business. No other mfg. has a vehicle that is put through the torture that the Wrangler is from all the modifications to the environments many operate in. Do us all a favor and get rid of the worst vehicle ever made and buy any other car that is better made.
The vast majority of Wrangler buyers are not the "Jeep faithful," and that's where the statistics about repeat buyers come from.

Admittedly, I've seen statistics that show both; among "mall buyers" repeat business is negligible, but among those who modify their vehicles and take them off-road regularly, repeat business is high because there literally is no other choice.

Yes, lots of manufacturer forums have people complaining, but not of the myriad issues common to Wranglers of all years. Lack of QC has been true of Jeep for decades now, and they have long been less than reliable for many.

It's not "torture" to have them fail the way they have for many here; they're not failing on the Rubicon trail, they're failing driving on highways and normal roads.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I did a quick comparison of the JD Power survey linked by californiajeeping and compared it to the same survey in 2015. While Jeep is near the bottom, the range between the best and worst has tightened and average scores have increased since 2015. Jeep’s 2020 score would have been midpack in 2015. Stated another way, Jeep has actually improved quite a bit....

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2020 Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
OK already!..............you guys have convinced me, I am selling my jeep because your jeeps suck..................not!

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
FCA must make Subarus now. This month's Motor Trend reports on their long-term Subaru Ascent. In May (last year) the windshield was hit by a rock and had to be replaced by the dealer because of the safety system camera. In August they suddenly had the instrument panel full of lights, windshield camera and passenger airbags not working, transmission fluid light and CEL on plus sunroof stopped working. Took it to dealer and it sat there until mid-November with little communication from the dealer. Got it back and camera still not working plus door locks not working. Back to dealer. A few weeks after getting it back the driver's seatbelt height adjustment stopped working, no heat from the lower wents and the A pillar trim fell off. Got it back and the rear hatch wouldn't open. All on a $44,000 vehicle.
Sponsored