Sponsored

If you had to do it all over again, would you buy another Diesel Wrang!er??

Would you buy another Diesel Wrang!er??

• Total voters

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
The only thing that might make me reconsider is when the 4xE comes out. If it has more torque and has decent range, then I may wish I'd gone that route instead. But, as it was, I waited over 2 years after release of the JL to get into one.

In short - nope, I don't regret it, and I'd do it again. Fate favors the bold.
4xe electric motor performance dependent on SOC (State of Charge) of battery and also in cold climates you will see voltage sag. Bottom line you won't get the same performance at all times due to the nature of smaller batteries. If they had a 30kWh battery or larger this could largely be mitigated with regards to the low SOC issues (would push that curve out further which could make it feasible to get better performance for longer). Bottom line if you keep it plugged in it is possible there is pre-conditioning that occurs that warms up the battery to allow it to perform in low temp situations. But then once you deplete the battery you are basically using the 2l gas engine to power the vehicle. I don't see how that torque is available after the battery has been depleted. For more consistent performance, the diesel is still superior across all drive cycles.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The only thing I wish my Diesel had is E-Torque. My uncle bought a 2020 Sahara the same day I picked up my Rubicon. It has the V-6 E-Torque. The auto stop/start in that vehicle is sooooo good. Also good in the rental Wrangler S I had for a week with a E-Torque 2.0 Turbo.

That said, the Diesel is still better. The wave of torque is awesome. Effortless power, awesome mileage. I have zero regrets.
I found your E-Torque comments interesting. The E-Torque is the fill-in-the-gap for an initial lack of low-end in the V-6. Are you finding that the Diesel also has a gap? People have gushed over the stump-pulling torque from very low RPMs.

Last edited:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Perhaps too early to ask?
Yeah I was going to say the same. Guys will be in better position to answer this question when they get to the end of the warranty period.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some good poll resurlts, from Diesel owners. Thanks.

CAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D, , 2019 200 Series Land Cruiser, 2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4wd,
I found your E-Torque comments interesting. The E-Torque is the fill-in-the-gap for an initial lack of low-end in the V-6. Are you finding that the Diesel also has a gap? People have gushed over the stump-pulling torque from very low RPMs.
Not much of a gap. There is some "ramp" programmed into the throttle as in all modern diesels to reduce soot-loading the DPF, but it's not that noticeable.

What I'm referring to is the smoothness of the start/stop system. The E-torque re-start is great! No starter motor. Fast and efficient.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
"Would you buy another..."

Implies you bought one. Looks like a fair number of those who voted didn't actually buy one in the first place...

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Would you buy another..."

Implies you bought one. Looks like a fair number of those who voted didn't actually buy one in the first place...
What I meant was, "if you had to do it all over again, would you buy the same thing?? "

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase

Mjolimar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
Would I buy another one? Maybe. Not because this one has given my any troubles, because it hasnā€™t. I donā€™t plan to keep it forever simply because I donā€™t trust a smog-controlled diesel in the long run. At the end of the warranty, I am going to trade mine in for something that is either totally electric or as close to that as I can get. That is the way of the future, whether one likes it or not. The 4xe is not really what I want, in that the range is too short on electric-only. I am hoping they will get the range increased dramatically in the next few years.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Only thing I wish mine had was -10 more gallons of fuel capacity.
And approve an on-the-shelf oil for Peteā€™s sake.
It's just shy of 19 gal capacity where the gas version has 21 with that said it gets roughly 5-8 mpg's more. And that's conservative. Just order your oil online and have it delivered to your home like 80% of all the other consumer goods we order online. Mine is, when I finish my fourth and final FREE Wave oil change.

BJACK

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2021 JLUD
I bought one. Only 1k miles so far, no problems. Just installed a pedal monster and derringer, I'm gonna need new tires sooner than I thought šŸ˜Ž

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
I bought one. Only 1k miles so far, no problems. Just installed a pedal monster and derringer, I'm gonna need new tires sooner than I thought šŸ˜Ž
How is your range and MPG with the derringer?? Is this the +70 torque and +30 HP ??
Let us know how it is! We require information :D
Sponsored