List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Hmm, I just looked on the Mopar site & they list this = different part number, also by the picture comes with the housing?

EarlFilter.JPG
Well hopefully that means there is a different part number that doesn't include the cap and is substantially less expensive.
Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Found this on another forum. Won't give you the warm and fuzzies.....
#11 • 12 d ago
Today, 9 April 2020, yesterday evening, as I sat here in Corona sequestration, I received the forum thread referencing the oil formulation changes, through the posting in my email.... reading the oil formulation thread, I
blew some gaskets when I read on a few of the postings here that the oil formulation for the new 2020 eco had been changed to the same thing as the Fiat Spyder.... well, that was an aaarrrggghhh.... then I really became disjointed when I read in another posting, that FCA is screwing with us on the oil filter... So, first thing this morning, coffee in hand, I jumped into my other dork mobile and ran to the closest FCA dealer 30 miles away... Sat down with the Parts and Service manager and had them break out both the Gen II and Gen III filters, and, I took with me a NAPA and WIX filter for measuring up... sure thing, FCA is going to screw us all with the all NEW made in CHINA filter... $90 before taxes, but, it comes with a new part number and the same ole Gen II filter is now locked into a cap... so now not only do get a new filter the filter is cap locked... you get both... Proprietary, so now my perfectly good made in the USA $20 WIX or NAPA filter is going to cost me including taxes, $100 for Chinese crap... and was also informed, that the filter and cap he placed before me, is, on it's 3rd superseding part number since the 2020's came out... so, in conclusion, whoever wrote the thread on the cap and filter part change, it's no bull... it's validated, we're getting screwed again by FCA... if it's not one thing, it's something else...
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/filters-for-2020-gen3-eco-diesel.68111/

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Give it a few months. Fca till drop a tab saying go with the standard rotella t6 and that's what all the dealers will start using if they aren't already.

Mark my words. They did this with the last ecodiesel too, wanting a specific rarely mentioned standard then finally approved a normal diesel industry standard.
I know people were having t6 oil tested in the earlier ecodiesel at 10k miles and being told it still has plenty of live in it. These people weren't towing just daily driving it.

Cutting the oci in half would be more than adequate. Some on the ecodiesel forum would call it wasteful. I call it cheap insurance.
I don't see that happening. The Gen 2 issue was that they spec'd a 5W30 oil, then had bearing failures, so they decided to let a 5W40 become the new spec, and T6 was already available. On Gen 3, emissions components are their critical concern, and since T6 does NOT meet spec (per a representative at Shell) using it could void warranty.

I have 12 quarts of new, unopened T6 on my shelf right now and won't use it since I got word that it doesn't meet MS-12991.

Also, the fuel filter is now shared with the Cummins, at least on the Ram 1500 it is, so I'm assuming the Jeep also will use the same.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't see that happening. The Gen 2 issue was that they spec'd a 5W30 oil, then had bearing failures, so they decided to let a 5W40 become the new spec, and T6 was already available. On Gen 3, emissions components are their critical concern, and since T6 does NOT meet spec (per a representative at Shell) using it could void warranty.

I have 12 quarts of new, unopened T6 on my shelf right now and won't use it since I got word that it doesn't meet MS-12991.

Also, the fuel filter is now shared with the Cummins, at least on the Ram 1500 it is, so I'm assuming the Jeep also will use the same.

The sticker they slapped on that oil filter box says "Made in Undefined".

Sponsored

EcoDRubi

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Eco on order.
I just got curious. To check my oil. I have 1580 miles. It is without a doubt in the add area.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
I just got curious. To check my oil. I have 1580 miles. It is without a doubt in the add area.
Yep mine was at roughly 1800ish I think? I checked it multiple times and it was at least a quart low on the stick. Question is: does this engine burn it off that fast or is it just a screw-up at the factory?

EcoDRubi

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Eco on order.
Yep mine was at roughly 1800ish I think? I checked it multiple times and it was at least a quart low on the stick. Question is: does this engine burn it off that fast or is it just a screw-up at the factory?
idk I was wondering the exact same thing. I topped it off yesterday. I will keep an eye on it every tank from now on and see what it does. No way they can say that amount of USE in 1500 miles is normal. Time will tell.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Talked to a Valvoline tech yday. He said the MST has been discontinued but the European Car Formula meets the MS-12991 spec. They are working on getting it on the label now. I had no idea how difficult it would be to find "on the shelf" oil for this thing.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Talked to a Valvoline tech yday. He said the MST has been discontinued but the European Car Formula meets the MS-12991 spec. They are working on getting it on the label now. I had no idea how difficult it would be to find "on the shelf" oil for this thing.
That would explain why there are 3 different labels used on the same product, and which label(s) you get depends on where you purchase the oil from and where along the timeline that oil was produced.

Would be really nice if they'd go ahead and get their website info updated so we could print that out and just file it away.

Sosos68

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon EcoDiesel. 2014 Porsche 991, 2014 vw Touareg tdi, 2005 Mercedes 320 CDI, 1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4.
Occupation
Sales
My Jeeep came from Factory low on oil and DEF ,i went to Jeep dealer to buy a quart of oil to tap off an the parts manager brought me Rottela T6 5w20 , he insisted that’s the right oil spec for Jeep EcoDiesel and Ram 3th gen . At 1000 I did the oil change went back to the dealer to get the filter and same guy give the filter without the plastic housing saying thats the right one . I bought the oil filter online and got the right oil specs from a local parts store, now I have 2100 miles on it and oil level didn’t drop.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Jeeep came from Factory low on oil and DEF ,i went to Jeep dealer to buy a quart of oil to tap off an the parts manager brought me Rottela T6 5w20 , he insisted that’s the right oil spec for Jeep EcoDiesel and Ram 3th gen . At 1000 I did the oil change went back to the dealer to get the filter and same guy give the filter without the plastic housing saying thats the right one . I bought the oil filter online and got the right oil specs from a local parts store, now I have 2100 miles on it and oil level didn’t drop.
So the filter and housing/lid/cap are all interchangeable?

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Got this reply from the Mobil folks today:
John,

Thanks for writing to us. I'm sorry to say that I currently have no products meeting the MS-12991 spec. Last year's Ecodiesel in platforms like the Grand Cherokee and the Ram 1500 called for 5W-40 oils meeting Cummins CES 20081 or Chrysler MS-10902, so it looks like they're made some changes for 2020. Even among FCA offerings this is a relatively uncommon engine compared to their gas lineup, meaning oil manufacturers may be a little slow to respond unless they're given significant advance notice of a new spec.

Thank you for choosing Mobil,
Jim
Mobil Help Desk Team Lead

purple haze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Ecodiesel Sport Altitude
Found a deal on Valvoline 5w-40 Euro oil. Online (pickup in store) for $5.29 per Qt @ NAPA if anyone is interested.

Make sure you order it online to lock in the price.
Sponsored