Sponsored

Caution: Broken Body Mount Bolt When Installing Frame Mount Rock Sliders / Rails / Sidesteps

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I did not break the bolt but the nut is welded to the frame and it came loose... Had to fish it so to put the bolt in and have the bolt grab onto the nut... all is well... So my suggestion to all is use ratchet and pipe to remove... impact to much... I use impact to put it all back together...
Thanks for sharing, Yours is the first Iā€™ve heard of spinning the nut inside. I was curious about that happening. If the bolt was weak you would think the impact would snap it first not the weld. In all my research I havenā€™t been able to find anybody that broke a bolt with an impact. The four-wheel-drive shops that I asked large and small thatā€™s all they use is impacts no broke bolts. A small shop old-timer told me the reason that weā€™re breaking bolts is weā€™re pulling the bolts off center a little because itā€™s long and no side support and it snaps not at the Loctite but at the end of the nuts side support. IDK
Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for sharing, Yours is the first Iā€™ve heard of spinning the nut inside. I was curious about that happening. If the bolt was weak you would think the impact would snap it first not the weld. In all my research I havenā€™t been able to find anybody that broke a bolt with an impact. The four-wheel-drive shops that I asked large and small thatā€™s all they use is impacts no broke bolts. A small shop old-timer told me the reason that weā€™re breaking bolts is weā€™re pulling the bolts off center a little because itā€™s long and no side support and it snaps not at the Loctite but at the end of the nuts side support. IDK
It the spot weld holding nut on frame. I used a pry bar on the washer giving pressure to take it out. Then my buddy used a coat hanger to reline up nut to put blot in. Again downward pressure while putting bolt in with new rock rails. Hope that helps.

Esq.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2019 Ford F-150 Raptor
I just finished installed RSE Step Sliders on my 2018 JLUR with no broken body bolts.

I positioned a heat gun (Harbor Freight Bauer brand) under each bolt about an inch away and ran it on high for roughly 5 mins per bolt. This allowed me to knock out some other steps in the install process while waiting for the bolts to heat up.

I then used a 18ā€ breaker bar to slowly back out each bolt directly after heating. The front two came out without issue. The middle bolts on each side were more difficult and required another couple of minutes of reheating.

When tightening back up, I applied a couple of minutes of heat to each bolt before torquing to 80 ft. lbs.

The heat definitely helped, as I tried both removal and reinstallation without heat and was met with significant resistance.

pat12bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I put mine on last night, had no issues on my 2019 JLUR. Bought a Dewalt 20V MAX XR 1/2" Impact since I already have their drills and saws. All 6 bolts came out with minimal effort on my part. $190 for the tool v.s. $150 to the shop and now I have an impact in the toolbox :rock:

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I put mine on last night, had no issues on my 2019 JLUR. Bought a Dewalt 20V MAX XR 1/2" Impact since I already have their drills and saws. All 6 bolts came out with minimal effort on my part. $190 for the tool v.s. $150 to the shop and now I have an impact in the toolbox :rock:

My dewalt 20v 1/2ā€ wouldn't budge my front bolts at all. And it broke the nut holder one of the rear ones. Mileage will vary with the amount of loctite used.

Sponsored

BigJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Over the weekend, I installed the Ace sliders on my '19 JLUR.
Using a 12 inch 1/2" drive ratchet, the back four bolts came out easy. The drivers side front did require some back and forth a few times on the way out. Passenger side front would not move past the first turn no matter how much back & forth I tried. I ended up using a propane torch to heat it up for a few minutes and it came right out. I cleaned up the bolts and used an electric impact to run them back in snug and then torqued them.

parbo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I just installed some myself. I used a Milwaukee M18 impact and the bolts came right out. One of the easiest things Iā€™ve done on a Jeep. I would be prepared with a simple propane torch from Home Depot if using a breaker bar. Need to soften up the red locktite first.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Jl
Marc,
My 2018 has 100 miles on it. It has been in the parking lot for 2 years, so yes, the elements have been around it.

The interesting thing is that some folk get them out easy peasy. Most don't.

However, if you Google the "broken body mount bolt Jeep" you'll be surprised at just how many are out there. I just talked to my service guy today (I can pick her up tomorrow!!!) and he said these bolts are really designed NOT to come out.

In my opinion, the only efficient way, after experiencing my failure, would be an induction heater, and lots of back and forth motion on the bolt. But even then I would give it 50-50.

Chipe, I know this post is old but by any chance you have part number or size for the front bolt. I too have a 2018 JL Sahara 4 door and will need to order two. Your assistance would help me a lot. Thanks!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Jl
Chipe, I know this post is old but by any chance you have part number or size for the front bolt. I too have a 2018 JL Sahara 4 door and will need to order two. Your assistance would help me a lot. Thanks!

Or does anyone know the part number size of the front bolts with the red loctite on a 4 door JL 2018 Sahara.

Sponsored

jse

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Finally had some time today, to work on the broken bolt.
I'll go over what I did, hope it works for the next poor s.o.b. with broken body bolt. I did take it to Jeep on the off chance they might do it..... Not a chance. Was told to go to a body shop.... B.S. I can do it just did not want to....

Step 1. After bolt is broken, loosen the middle and back mount bolts 1 inch down.

Step 2. Jack side of body up just enough to remove front mount.

Step 3. Hit the bolt upward with a big hammer hit. Drill and use Blue Point Snap On 1020 screw extractor kit. Can be found on ebay cheap used.

Step 4. With the mount out of the way you can heat the bolt directly at the body/bolt/red loctite area. You will need to heat it enough to melt the paint off. No problem just touch up afterwards.

Step 5. Hammer in the extractor, rock back and forth. then just unthread it out.

Step 6. Drink a Beer or 3, because you did not get any sleep the last week waiting for tools to show up.....
Thank you for posting this! I went to two dealers and both said they could/would not do anything. I was going to cut into my Jeep to get the bolt out as I had seen on youtube. Instead, I followed your steps and was so happy to get that bolt out and my sliders installed.
-Front passenger side body mount bolt broke
-Was very careful when trying to get it out after reading the forum.
-Loosened the 3 other bolts on the rear of the passenger side
-Removed the nut up front.
-Lifted the body off the frame with a jack and a piece of 4x4 to remove the mount.
-Tried a heat gun first, but a propane torch was faster and more effective.
-Broken piece came out easily once hot enough.

Seeing how hot I had to get the broken bolt before the loctite softened, I do not see how heating the head of the bolt before hand would transfer enough heat to the loctite. I am assuming mileage may vary. If you do break the bolt off, this is a great way to remove it without cutting into your Jeep.

20200427_083704.jpg

20200427_083744.jpg

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
Hey Jason

Glad to hear you had a successful bolt extraction. Not sure if you have much experience with drilling out bolts, did yours drill out easy? Mine was really soft material. I almost drilled all the way through the bolt. I still stand by thinking that this is a bad bolt supplier problem. No way this was a 10.9 grade bolt.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
It's called momentum. Using an impact works because you don't keep on stopping and starting the torque application. it also builds up a slight amount of heat and helps soften the red Loctite as it withdraws.

Last edited:

jse

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Jason

Glad to hear you had a successful bolt extraction. Not sure if you have much experience with drilling out bolts, did yours drill out easy? Mine was really soft material. I almost drilled all the way through the bolt. I still stand by thinking that this is a bad bolt supplier problem. No way this was a 10.9 grade bolt.
I have never had to drill out a bolt before. This was a first for me. I thought it was pretty soft. I agree that this is a supplier/manufacturer problem, in my opinion it should not be that hard to get the bolt out and it definitely shouldn't break. Who doesn't want to modify their jeep?

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
It's called momentum. Using an impact works because you don't keep on stopping and starting the torque application. it also builds up a slight amount of heat and helps soften the red Loctite as it withdraws.
Interesting, Did you read this entire thread ? I only ask because thatā€™s the opposite of what most have been saying.
Sponsored