72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Uh oh...what else did you buy?
I said this was gonna be a stock build while retaining the factory steel bumpers. Well there went that. Got some bumpers ordered up as well. Now if I only had time to do the lift and 37s that are just sitting around.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
So I did the install today. I included a pic of the two different camera mount tubes. The shorter one on the right is the correct size/depth for the oem camera mount. I chose to use the Mopar third brake light mount; the Smittybilt just looked too needlessly complicated and I had the Mopar on hand so I used it. My kit came with the shims to put under the hinge mounting plates on the tailgate. I chose not to use them as it spaced my tailgate door in too much, it was flush without them. Plus thereā€™s some wiggle room on the interior tub brackets. What I was surprised wasnā€™t included were spacers for the drivers side tailgate bolts (the four bolts to the left of the vent) to take up the thickness of the hinge bracket. I really couldnā€™t tell if the left side of the carrier was offset or not, I didnā€™t realize it until it was bolted on and I wasnā€™t unbolting everything. Seemed to bolt up ok and looks square, so I donā€™t know. I also wish it came with provisions for bump stops, but it doesnā€™t. Seems solid though. I used the plugs provided for the holes left in the tailgate from the oem bump stops. Looks like you could probably put one on the left side if you got one long enough.

hereā€™s a few pics:

24AE2FF6-C660-40EE-9DF1-10C38E7D11A8.jpeg

C1AD46BA-153F-4341-9F8F-3C7996F28477.jpeg

1FE02CFD-5757-4211-955D-C4A1A2AC6E1F.jpeg

79B72E51-7AA5-46F7-80E7-ABF2C616CE96.jpeg

8B51C3AD-63D1-4E05-A546-9B97A4B6EA36.jpeg

6352194F-2648-45C8-80D7-8BC244477C62.jpeg
May I ask why you installed? Are you planning on larger than 33s?

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
May I ask why you installed? Are you planning on larger than 33s?
Two reasons:
1 Iā€™ll be lifting and going with 37s in the next year or so.
2 my rear bumper does not have the tire recess so I need to raise the tire. Currently have 34s with no lift, but couldnā€™t mount the spare on the oem carrier as it would interfere with my bumper.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Two reasons:
1 Iā€™ll be lifting and going with 37s in the next year or so.
2 my rear bumper does not have the tire recess so I need to raise the tire. Currently have 34s with no lift, but couldnā€™t mount the spare on the oem carrier as it would interfere with my bumper.
Gotcha. 37s alone answers that :)

Sponsored

mudmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JlU Sport
So I did the install today. I included a pic of the two different camera mount tubes. The shorter one on the right is the correct size/depth for the oem camera mount. I chose to use the Mopar third brake light mount; the Smittybilt just looked too needlessly complicated and I had the Mopar on hand so I used it. My kit came with the shims to put under the hinge mounting plates on the tailgate. I chose not to use them as it spaced my tailgate door in too much, it was flush without them. Plus thereā€™s some wiggle room on the interior tub brackets. What I was surprised wasnā€™t included were spacers for the drivers side tailgate bolts (the four bolts to the left of the vent) to take up the thickness of the hinge bracket. I really couldnā€™t tell if the left side of the carrier was offset or not, I didnā€™t realize it until it was bolted on and I wasnā€™t unbolting everything. Seemed to bolt up ok and looks square, so I donā€™t know. I also wish it came with provisions for bump stops, but it doesnā€™t. Seems solid though. I used the plugs provided for the holes left in the tailgate from the oem bump stops. Looks like you could probably put one on the left side if you got one long enough.
can you explain what you meant by spacers for drivers side bolts? I donā€™t have my tire carrier yet but trying to visualize what those are and why weā€™d need spacers, as well as the purpose/lack of need for the supplied shims...

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
can you explain what you meant by spacers for drivers side bolts? I donā€™t have my tire carrier yet but trying to visualize what those are and why weā€™d need spacers, as well as the purpose/lack of need for the supplied shims...
What I mean is that the tire carrier bolts to the tailgate, but the smittybilt aluminum brace only extend to the one set of bolts (circled in green) so the brace is sandwiched between the tailgate and the carrier on the right side. On the left side the carrier bolts directly to the tailgate (circled in red). The Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit has a similar setup that uses the oem carrier and includes shims for the left side to make up the difference and spaces the left side out so everything is square. I did not check the smittybilt carrier to see if the left side is longer than the right side thus negating the need for a shim before I installed it, it didnā€™t occur to me until I had everything installed. Does that make sense?
if the smittybilt carrier mounting flanges are both the same (left and right) and the right side mounts over the bracing and the left side mounts directly to the tailgate then it wonā€™t be square/flush and the spare will be cocked a bit to the left.
Again, I donā€™t know if thatā€™s the case as I didnā€™t check it before mounting it up.

353764FB-8B53-46EC-826A-D0E0006922C4.jpeg

DC1452C5-442F-495A-8B83-18B2014850CB.jpeg

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
As for the other shims. They mounted behind the bolts circled in red. I guess they would be use to space the brace out, but when I installed them the tailgate was no longer flush with body on that side so I did not end up using them.

6BB9B709-F44D-488E-B012-640A0EDADA34.jpeg

km58501

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Since I didn't like the SB solution for the third brake light I came up with my own. I didn't want to mess with different wrench sizes and removing the light if I actually needed to change to the spare. I used two of the brackets that came in the kit and installed it on top of the tire mount. I just had to drill one small hole for the self tapping screw.

IMG-20200328-091640.jpg

IMG-20200328-092318.jpg

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Since I didn't like the SB solution for the third brake light I came up with my own. I didn't want to mess with different wrench sizes and removing the light if I actually needed to change to the spare. I used two of the brackets that came in the kit and installed it on top of the tire mount. I just had to drill one small hole for the self tapping screw.

IMG-20200328-091640.jpg

IMG-20200328-092318.jpg
Thatā€™s awesome. Good thinking...I may have to take a look at doing this myself, although my wheels arenā€™t as open as yours.

Sponsored

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
HVAC
upload_2020-4-1_17-3-40.jpeg
This thing is bad ass! Install was a breeze! 119 pound wheel and tire combo and it doesnā€™t budge at all!

jasonhodges

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Application Architect
For those of you that have completed the install of this SB TC, can you tell me what OEM parts were required to be reused? I'm pretty sure I tossed the OEM TC parts when I did my spare tire delete install. Thanks

OP
OP
NTX Black Moab

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
For those of you that have completed the install of this SB TC, can you tell me what OEM parts were required to be reused? I'm pretty sure I tossed the OEM TC parts when I did my spare tire delete install. Thanks
TBH, I can't remember, but I might have made a note when I posted the install pics.