Sponsored

Birds destroying my jeep

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Not to mention being out in public with any kind of gun could bring a swat team down on you.
That would depend on where you live. In Chicago IL yes. In TX, AZ, FL and other states maybe not? I saw they were protesting in MI at the Capital. Some protestors were armed.

This would show up in Chicago.
hqdefault.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm, I know this isn't a very good solution, but perhaps getting your Jeep wrapped with a matte vinyl to reduce the reflective property?
You my Girl are a Genius!!! First the cat and now this. By coincidence I was looking at clear matt wraps 5 minutes ago. I owned black cars before and hated the upkeep and swirls. Matt film might change all of that? It looks awesome over black!! I am seriously thinking of doing it for my next Wrangler.

The matte wrap won't help with glass or mirrors but it's a excuse to do it. lol.

I was reading this thread over and over, admiring the pictures!

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...d-in-xpel-stealth-protection-film.4980/page-5

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
You my Girl are a Genius!!! First the cat and now this. By coincidence I was looking at clear matt wraps 5 minutes ago. I owned black cars before and hated the upkeep and swirls. Matt film might change all of that? It looks awesome over black!! I am seriously thinking of doing it for my next Wrangler.

The matte wrap won't help with glass or mirrors but it's a excuse to do it. lol.

I was reading this thread over and over, admiring the pictures!

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...d-in-xpel-stealth-protection-film.4980/page-5
Do it!:like: o and if course posts some pics:involve:. I like black too, but after a few, I'm done with black. It looks so nice clean and shiny, but it doesn't last long:( and I would always scratch it when hauling my TA-50 around:facepalm:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do it!:like: o and if course posts some pics:involve:. I like black too, but after a few, I'm done with black. It looks so nice clean and shiny, but it doesn't last long:( and I would always scratch it when hauling my TA-50 around:facepalm:
Next one. My JLR is Granite now. I think matte black would look better?

I agree, black is the best looking for the first 2 minutes after a wash and wax. Not so much by the 3rd minute. lol.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I only own a semi auto 12 guage. They got the door pillar paint pretty good while standing on my mirrors. I'm not sure about the rear glass yet I have to clean it and see if any damage. I've been parking it my tiny garage for the last two days. I gringe every time I back it in because I literally have two inches on each side.
The cat idea is sounding better to me? Hate to say it but the garage is your best bet until they migrate and go away. Unless of course you take the Elmer Fudd route…

51XwfJ3TeWL._AC_.jpg

Sponsored

scgmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 GMC 2500HD Duramax, 72 Formula 400, Yamaha WR250R, Dozens of Kayaks and Canoes, Future Jeep Wrangler JL Owner
I only own a semi auto 12 guage. They got the door pillar paint pretty good while standing on my mirrors. I'm not sure about the rear glass yet I have to clean it and see if any damage. I've been parking it my tiny garage for the last two days. I gringe every time I back it in because I literally have two inches on each side.
The 12ga with birdshot is ideal. One shot when he flies into his nearby tree/bush.
Might alert the neighbors, but there will be no follow up shot. If you truly live somewhere where a shotgun birdshot blast could hit and damage someone else’s property or person, a $50 Daisy pellet/BB gun from Walmart will do the trick. Just don’t shoot anywhere near your vehicle.

I had the same problem from a male Cardinal. He was relentless on my gray truck and the GF’s black car. Shitting was the primary problem, but he loved to peck the tinted windows and mirrors, too. I’m a bird and animal lover, but enough is enough.
I waited for him to fly back into the Leyland to perch, where he stood out like a sore thumb, and eliminated the nuisance. I honestly felt bad briefly, but quickly got over it when I no longer had to clean bird crap off our vehicles everyday.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
That would depend on where you live. In Chicago IL yes. In TX, AZ, FL and other states maybe not? I saw they were protesting in MI at the Capital. Some protestors were armed.

This would show up in Chicago.
hqdefault.jpg
lol...... is that the protestors..lol

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
If you think it is the same bird you need to kill it. If it lands in the same area I would try some mouse traps or sticky tape. It will be a cruel torturous death but what can you do.

Be careful in NY, there are a lot of crazy liberals. I once had a dog run into my car and run off, some woman bystander tracked me down to yell at me for not running after the dog or waiting around for the dog owner to return. I think she wanted me to go to jail or something.Long story.To repeat, the dog ran into my car and then ran away and the owner ran after the dog. What was I supposed to do?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

scgmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 GMC 2500HD Duramax, 72 Formula 400, Yamaha WR250R, Dozens of Kayaks and Canoes, Future Jeep Wrangler JL Owner
If you think it is the same bird you need to kill it. If it lands in the same area I would try some mouse traps or sticky tape. It will be a cruel torturous death but what can you do.

Be careful in NY, there are a lot of crazy liberals. I once had a dog run into my car and run off, some woman bystander tracked me down to yell at me for not running after the dog or waiting around for the dog owner to return. I think she wanted me to go to jail or something.Long story.To repeat, the dog ran into my car and then ran away and the owner ran after the dog. What was I supposed to do?
Nothing you can do if it runs off. Plus a wounded animal, even ones known to be docile, can be dangerous creatures. Anytime a dog gets hit by a vehicle on a public road it’s 100% the animal’s fault. IF a human needs to blamed, throw a portion on the owner. The bystander in your story was an idiot.

To the OP, you might get lucky and the bird stops its destructive behavior once mating season or its baby birds have flown the nest, but my guess (and experience) is it won’t stop. You’re gonna have to pull the trigger. Literally.

Last edited:

Sponsored

wyobob44

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 , 17 Indian Chieftain, 12 Ford F-350 Dually 4X4, 74 Jeep Wangoneer
Occupation
Retired
I am sure there is also a seasonal effect here. Mating/fighting season for male birds. I see this a ton with motorcycles around here. They'll just sit on the handlebar and beat the crap out of the mirror.

As far as a plan to stop this- birds typically will stop attacking their own reflection and sitting and crapping on your mirror if you shoot and kill them with a pellet gun.
i can confirm that this tactic is very effective, having had to use it before .

lordcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Do you guys think this can be buffed out ?

IMG_20200423_095704.jpg
Yes. 3M rubbing compound will take those swirls right out. You will need a lot of elbow grease unless you use an orbital, but they will come out. Then apply a wax and sealant, good as new. Black paint is a merciless bitch.

OP
OP

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
Yes. 3M rubbing compound will take those swirls right out. You will need a lot of elbow grease unless you use an orbital, but they will come out. Then apply a wax and sealant, good as new. Black paint is a merciless bitch.
Thanks brother. I will give it a try

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks brother. I will give it a try
Just so you know 3M makes a LOT of different rubbing and polishing compounds. Some are very aggressive. Be very careful not to buff through the clear coat. I'd try a less aggressive one.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Try these.
FROST GUARD mirror covers from Walmart. They tighten with a draw string and cord lock. Cheap

20200425_172344.jpg
Sponsored