Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
After looking at a bunch of different replacement fog lights I settled on Baja Designs Squadron which are sold in both street legal SAE configuration at 2,480 lumens and an off-road configuration at 3,150 lumens. Another nice feature is that depending on your bumper configuration you can change out lenses for one of the many options they offer (e.g., replace a broken one or switch between clear and amber) or affix their standard cover. My ARB Bondi bumper lets me do all of these.

Every other fog light replacement I found is below 2,000 lumens with Rigid at 1,760, Morimoto at 1,200, JW Speaker at 1,080 and what I believe are your KCs at only 850. I could not find a value for the stock LEDs but I had guessed about 1,000 which would be confirmed by your tests.

The lighting impact of the Baja Designs SAE (street legal) is clearly noticeable. Through my Tazer, I have enabled them on my stock LED high beams and you can instantly see a major gain in road level and side illumination when switching these on with either high or low beam on. When they are the only lights on it is like a flat low beam in that it is drivable with only the fog lights on which will be great if I have to drive in a blinding snow or fog which I haven't yet had to do with this rig.
My finding also regarding lumens, the KC's are 850 and that is much lower than both the Ridgid and Baja Designs rated lumens for their SAE fog lights. The KC's are incrementally better but from the naked eye it just isn't that much. The stock LED fogs really are not a bad product when you have seen both the way I did. I would say it is better to look elsewhere like you did with the Baja Designs if you want something much brighter and still have SAE. I also have the Tazer Mini set so the fogs stay on with high beams. ;)
Do you happen to have a photo or can you take one of your BD lights with the headlights covered?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Focker

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Nice install man, and I appreciate you putting the pics and your findings out there! I sort of agree with you a little bit. Sorry you're not satisfied. From the pictures I see a good improvement, coverage appears to be wider and cut off is crisp and clean compared to OEM. If you were hoping for more and these fog replacements are SAE or DOT certified then I believe that is about as much as you're going to get in the legal realm of it. Manufacturer's hands are tied when it comes to them achieving proper certification, otherwise it wouldn't pass because you would be blinding other drivers.
I was hoping for a little more but from the naked eye comparing the two there just isn't that much difference. I think the good news on this is that the stock LED fogs are a decent product.
I am interested in seeing how other brands of SAE rated fogs look if folks would post some pictures.

RidgeRider

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Don't have a night shot photo but will try to take one over the next couple of days. Will need to drive a ways to get past the street lights. I have uploaded a photo of the install with the cover and amber lens taped to the bumper so you can see it.
IMG_3460.jpg

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
I was hoping for a little more but from the naked eye comparing the two there just isn't that much difference. I think the good news on this is that the stock LED fogs are a decent product.
I am interested in seeing how other brands of SAE rated fogs look if folks would post some pictures.
I agree with ya there. The OEM LED's are an improvement over the halogens, but far from a perfect product. Over the years I have kind of given up looking for replacement fogs, and both the truck and the Jeep I have removed them completely given the nature of the bumpers I put on. Mainly because I hardly ever use them. I too would be interested in the real world comparison with the wrangler. Going off the product page only tells you so much, and the picture comparisons on the BD website IMO, makes me think the KC set up is better. So for all you guys with the BD SAE fogs, post em!

NewTXJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Don't have a night shot photo but will try to take one over the next couple of days. Will need to drive a ways to get past the street lights. I have uploaded a photo of the install with the cover and amber lens taped to the bumper so you can see it.
IMG_3460.jpg
Can you please share the link for the exact ones you ordered?? I’m looking for the street legal ones for my Bondi as well. Thanks.

Sponsored

RidgeRider

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The important consideration in aftermarket fog lights is matching the bumper to the mount. Most manufacturers will have a mount for the stock steel or plastic bumpers which are different but the Sahara and Sport also have different mounts for halogen lights. Unfortunately, ARB tech support didn't know what they needed but through trial and error, the Sahara mount was the one that worked. The item was Baja Designs Jeep JL, Sahara, Squadron-R SAE, Fog Pocket Kit, 22w/1.6a, 2,480 lumens PN: 447635 and the web link is https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/Jeep-JL-Sahara-Squadron-SAE-Fog-Pocket-Kits.asp . Note that when you go to the link, you will see lights with amber lenses. You can select either amber or white on that page for your order.

You can also order one or the other and then a separate lens like I did at this link https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/squadron-pro-sport-amber-wide-cornering-lens-kit.asp . You will see lower on this page a whole bunch of different lenses that you can get to totally change the characteristic of your lights. If you want to stick to the traditional fog type pattern, you need to order a "wide cornering" lens type.

I had originally guessed that the Sport mounts would be the ones to fit and High Country 4x4 in Denver and Baja Designs were very accommodating about trading out for the Sahara's to get the right fit.

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Just over two months ago my wife told me she wanted to look at getting a new Jeep Rubicon. We did some checking online and the only one that had all the options she wanted was at a local dealer in Roseville or the next closest would be in Irvine CA. I guess well equipped Rubicons are a little rare. I am happy to say we made a fair deal with the local dealer.

I have been her "compass" on what direction to go with lift kit, hub-centric wheels, tires and general accessories to get to her exact vision of the finished project. So much thanks goes to the members of this forum for input and valuable information. We will still be looking at installing a winch, doing some body and undercarriage protection and who knows what else so stay tuned.
Much of the work has been done in the last week or this weekend.

This is factory stock:
IMG_3180-XL.jpg

IMG_0269-XL.jpg

The Build List:
Metalcloak 2.5" Game Changer along with drag link and tie rod ends.
Icon Compression wheels
BF Goodrich KM3 35" tires
McGard Locks and Lugs
TMPS w/ Black Metal Valve Stems
Bestop Sunrider Top
Trim-Lock Rubber Tubing for Fenders
Savvy Off Road / Magnaflow Exhaust
KC HiLites replacement Fog Lights
Diode Dynamics Clear LED Side-Markers
CMM Mirror/RAM mounts
GPCA Hard Top Tie Down Anchors with D-Rings.
Rydonair 13” Antenna
Center Console Tray
Rubber Inserts for Cup Holders
Crown 55395993AB Longer Spare Tire Bumpers along with Bar Stool Feet from Lowe's
M.O.R.E. Dead Pedal
Bartact Grab Handles
JL Tazer Mini
Thanks for the thanks. How does Lil’ Mrs. Flocker get in her ride ?

OP
OP
Focker

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the thanks. How does Lil’ Mrs. Flocker get in her ride ?
That little gal is able to leap tall buildings in a single bound! Seriously she is pretty agile and hops right in.
In fact just to share, this is last month in Death Valley at the Echo Canyon Waterfalls (I know a bunch of guys that have turned around when the got to this point because it was too much for them):
https://photos.smugmug.com/2020/Dea...0/Jessica_WF__VID_20200312_121248781-1920.mp4

OP
OP
Focker

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I got the replacement 3rd Brake Light and got it installed.
I used these plugs so I can replace it if needed:
IMG_3794-X2.jpg

I drilled a small hole in the tire carrier for a zip tie to hold the wiring:
IMG_3808-XL.jpg

And out for a drive today:
IMG_3863-X2.jpg

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Great looking rig and thanks for sharing the build notes, enjoy!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Focker

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
My little cheap-o upgrade today was getting some 3M tail light repair film (it is more like a thick hard plastic) for about $8 and cutting a few small rectangles and couple of squares to put over the ambient side of the footwell LEDs. With a little alcohol to wipe off any oils it sticks great. I did make a mistake and put in on the entry side of the LEDs first but realized my mistake and stuck them on the smaller square side after figuring it out. It looks SO nice now.

IMG_3907-X2.jpg

71NH3KZFEZL._AC_SY879_-XL.jpg

Link to the 3M Film: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DPZ8HF2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_DoONEbR206BQY

OP
OP
Focker

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Some new items were added today however more getting done tomorrow to complete the job. Mrs. Focker says no updating the page 1 list the until the job is complete and she takes photos.

Here is what was installed today:
MetalCloak UnderCloak Integrated Armor System
MetalCloak Jeep JL Wrangler and JT Gladiator Front Axle Disconnect (FAD) Skid Plate
Mopar Winch Plate Kit
Warn Fairlead Plate
Warn Zeon 10-S

Tomorrow will be:
Mopar Grille Guard
Factor55 Hawse Fairlead 1.0
Factor55 Flat Link

And on the way from @Northridge4x4 is the Maximus-3 JL Filler Trim Plates

Pictures to follow tomorrow...

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Time to enjoy for a day...
IMG_3634-X2.jpg
Scott, looking at this picture, the Mrs. has no desire for running boards?

Please don't misunderstand...I mean no disrespect, she isn't tiny and certainly looks agile but my Mrs. insisted on them and my tires aren't lifted.....:)

OP
OP
Focker

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Scott, looking at this picture, the Mrs. has no desire for running boards?

Please don't misunderstand...I mean no disrespect, she isn't tiny and certainly looks agile but my Mrs. insisted on them and my tires aren't lifted.....:)
You are right that she is pretty petite and might be 5'3" on a good day. So far steps/boards/sliders haven't been on her priority list however I have presented her with a ton of options that I have seen here on the forum and she has picked 3 that she likes.
Her top choices are:
LOD Rock Sliders
MetalCloak Overland Rocker
Ace JL Night Runner

Someone asked a few week ago about her getting in and out and I couldn't resist posting this little video of her going up the waterfall at Echo Canyon last month in Death Valley to show her spunkiness:
https://photos.smugmug.com/2020/Dea...0/Jessica_WF__VID_20200312_121248781-1920.mp4

Last edited:

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase