OP
KILROY_

KILROY_

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona "Bad Nanner" heavily modified, 2000 Ram 2500 V-10, 2018 Jeep Renegade
Vehicle Showcase
The jeep is 39 a year, the pick up is 58...

Pretty sure.
You guys must not get hit with a property tax on vehicles every year to renew the plates. Would be nice!
Sponsored

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I’m in Florida also thank goodness, so fairly low fees for me. I do wonder why they get a piece of the action every time a vehicle sells to a new owner though.

And let’s be honest, none of the money paid to the DMV goes to pave the roads. It’s like some sort of Twilight Zone vicious circle; the only reason the DMV exists is to collect fees to pay for their existence.

And there has to be a better way to provide for proof of ownership if your vehicle is stolen. I mean, other than red light/speed trap cameras and nosey neighbors that think everyone should just drive at idle speed, why do we even need license plates...?

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
About the same here.
Am I missing something?
Probably not - never was a Texas resident but I don't believe you have a personal property tax that includes vehicles. Most of the folks quoting the high registration fees live in states the do.

Believe Texas is like Florida - you get zapped once with whatever the total sales tax is on the vehicle at the time of purchase. The personal property tax states start lower but then you get taxed every year when you register, which can add up to a lot of $$ over your life since you get to pay it every year you own a vehicle (it does go down as the vehicle gets older so would have that going for you:).

Here in SC you only pay a max of up to $500 in sales tax on initial purchase, but vehicles are subject to personal property tax so you get to pay it each time you register.

OP
OP
KILROY_

KILROY_

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona "Bad Nanner" heavily modified, 2000 Ram 2500 V-10, 2018 Jeep Renegade
Vehicle Showcase
I have not been able to register my JLR that I picked up on March 13 because DMV is shutdown in NY, so I'm driving around with an expired temp tag from CT. I am not complaining because I owe the sales tax of $2300 when I plate the Jeep as well as registration fees. Annual fees should be about $125 for a two year registration.
Ahh so you guys have to do the sales tax when you license, we do ours when its financed. I think our registration tax is so high because we have no state tax, they gotta make it up somewhere! (For the record the sales tax was $3704.64)

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Mike, thanks for your support!
Jeff

Your quite welcome, my father was also in the Army and served in Korea, in Anti-aircraft, half tracks with quad machine guns. He was also a Sergeant. He passed away last July.

All you folks who served deserve everyone's gratitude.

Nice Jeep you have BTW!

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Jeff

Your quite welcome, my father was also in the Army and served in Korea, in Anti-aircraft, half tracks with quad machine guns. He was also a Sergeant. He passed away last July.

All you folks who served deserve everyone's gratitude.

Nice Jeep you have BTW!
Thank you sir, and I’m sorry for the loss of your father. The last half of my 30 years was in Air Defense Artillery, just like your dad. I was a senior NCO, Sergeant First Class, leading Avenger and Sentinel troops. I did a few ADA exercises in Korea at Osan Air Base. Where was your dad in Korea?

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I have not been able to register my JLR that I picked up on March 13 because DMV is shutdown in NY, so I'm driving around with an expired temp tag from CT. I am not complaining because I owe the sales tax of $2300 when I plate the Jeep as well as registration fees. Annual fees should be about $125 for a two year registration.
Same in RI when I registered mine

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
Ahh so you guys have to do the sales tax when you license, we do ours when its financed. I think our registration tax is so high because we have no state tax, they gotta make it up somewhere! (For the record the sales tax was $3704.64)
Sales tax is paid when you register, I opted to do the registration myself because I bought the JLR out of state. I also did my own financing, but the dealer would have loved to do it, there was no way I was financing the tax. (For the record the sales tax would have been $4001, but luckily I had a $22k trade-in.

Sponsored

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Texas here 57.11 but for special black plates not personalized. We also have no State income tax. But property/land tax is where they get you.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in Nevada too and yes, the registration is expensive. Mine was $593 on my first renewal. Can't remember what my initial registration was, but it was around $650.

JoepCO

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Sting Grey
Vehicle Showcase
I’m in Colorado and we have ridiculous yearly license plate fees (my JLUR was $728.00) plus we pay the state tax at the time of purchase. I joked that my most expensive “mod” was bolting on the license plate.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Yep mine's free too:like: but normally it would be $35 in Ohio.
Brandy, I don’t think I have publicly thanked you for your service too!