danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Copying a post I made in the issues forum in case the increased traffic in this one poses a potential fix. There’s some smart people in here, and I’m hoping someone has an idea.

Just developed this “service axle locker system” issue after 12K miles, Aug 2018 build. I’m going to take a look at the wiring this weekend as that seems the likely culprit, but found some interesting things in diagnosing it. First, warning light comes on and has stayed on. Next, it seems the lockers are working, but difficult to tell. Also, when looking at the small display, it shows what I select accurately (lockers on/off). The OR pages show both ends locked regardless of config and does not change. When selecting both lockers, the switch’s top light comes on and goes steady, but the bottom light also comes on and blinks. Finally, after shifting out of 4wd and deselecting the lockers, the warning went out. After cycling the ignition, the warning is back, switch lights out, small display in 2wd and no lockers, OR pages show locked.

I’m guessing either wiring issue or the DCU. Anyone have any ideas?

A617A9EA-5A2A-46F3-AD9A-28CB885F440E.jpeg

6F743BA7-AE77-4863-BA5C-07BA6C5C5D7D.jpeg

AF3D2745-BF83-4F9D-86A2-4D9B83BC865E.jpeg
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Copying a post I made in the issues forum in case the increased traffic in this one poses a potential fix. There’s some smart people in here, and I’m hoping someone has an idea.

Just developed this “service axle locker system” issue after 12K miles, Aug 2018 build. I’m going to take a look at the wiring this weekend as that seems the likely culprit, but found some interesting things in diagnosing it. First, warning light comes on and has stayed on. Next, it seems the lockers are working, but difficult to tell. Also, when looking at the small display, it shows what I select accurately (lockers on/off). The OR pages show both ends locked regardless of config and does not change. When selecting both lockers, the switch’s top light comes on and goes steady, but the bottom light also comes on and blinks. Finally, after shifting out of 4wd and deselecting the lockers, the warning went out. After cycling the ignition, the warning is back, switch lights out, small display in 2wd and no lockers, OR pages show locked.

A617A9EA-5A2A-46F3-AD9A-28CB885F440E.jpeg

6F743BA7-AE77-4863-BA5C-07BA6C5C5D7D.jpeg

AF3D2745-BF83-4F9D-86A2-4D9B83BC865E.jpeg
I have my lockers wired to my aux switches and that light above the fuel gauge is on all the time. Since the Mopar wiring harnesses are only hot and ground , and the factory locker harness is a 4 wire connection. The other 2 wires go to the switch and to the computer. So it’s possible that your lockers can still function properly even though that code is thrown.

Do you get a “ service axle locker” message at start up then goes away after a few seconds?

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
Is your Jeep lifted, and did you happen to flex the suspension prior to the problem developing?

OP
OP
danotje

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I do get the message, then it turns into just the dash light. This started happening a couple of days ago and has been consistent. The only time I haven’t had the light was after putting it in 4H, engaging the lockers, then disengaging. The light went away for about 20 seconds, but the OR pages still showed locked. Then it came back. The difference between the pages vs the smaller display and switch light has me curious about the signal. Maybe a mismatch throws the light? Then I have to find the reason for a mismatch. They do seem to be working, though.

As for flexing, I’m still stock, but I have read some things about the wire harness being restricted. That’s one of the things I plan to check. A couple of guys in the Issues thread showed the fix as a T523 pin or something along with one or two others. I’m leaning towards this vs an axle change which is what some guys are reporting their dealers are doing. The best I have for flexing would be the pretty good size snowdrift at work , but again, still stock.

I also have a Tazer, so might unmarry this weekend, too, just to rule it out. I’ve had it since December, though, so not confident that will change anything.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I do get the message, then it turns into just the dash light. This started happening a couple of days ago and has been consistent. The only time I haven’t had the light was after putting it in 4H, engaging the lockers, then disengaging. The light went away for about 20 seconds, but the OR pages still showed locked. Then it came back. The difference between the pages vs the smaller display and switch light has me curious about the signal. Maybe a mismatch throws the light? Then I have to find the reason for a mismatch. They do seem to be working, though.

As for flexing, I’m still stock, but I have read some things about the wire harness being restricted. That’s one of the things I plan to check. A couple of guys in the Issues thread showed the fix as a T523 pin or something along with one or two others. I’m leaning towards this vs an axle change which is what some guys are reporting their dealers are doing. The best I have for flexing would be the pretty good size snowdrift at work , but again, still stock.

I also have a Tazer, so might unmarry this weekend, too, just to rule it out. I’ve had it since December, though, so not confident that will change anything.
Unlikely it’s the tazer, my guess is broken or loose pin in the connector or software glitch.

Sponsored

The Custom Jeep Builder

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2021 392 Rubicon
Occupation
Jeep Customizer
Mine too, in my new Gladiator. And MANY other JLs & JTs...
Per my Jeep connections and service writer neighbor its quite common and its typically the harness itself with a ground problem or broken in general.
Replacement parts are not available and they are actually replacing the entire axle assembly because of it.

OP
OP
danotje

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine too, in my new Gladiator. And MANY other JLs & JTs...
Per my Jeep connections and service writer neighbor its quite common and its typically the harness itself with a ground problem or broken in general.
Replacement parts are not available and they are actually replacing the entire axle assembly because of it.
Really don’t want to do that, but we’ll see. I’m going to look at the harnesses today and see what I can find. Luckily in my case it appears to be just an indication issue. Good luck with yours!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Really don’t want to do that, but we’ll see. I’m going to look at the harnesses today and see what I can find. Luckily in my case it appears to be just an indication issue. Good luck with yours!
If it is the connector, you can order one that you spice in. Another member tracked it down when theirs broke.

FF1D8A9D-A489-47AC-9D6C-4E815D10D0D0.jpeg

OP
OP
danotje

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If it is the connector, you can order one that you spice in. Another member tracked it down when theirs broke.

FF1D8A9D-A489-47AC-9D6C-4E815D10D0D0.jpeg
Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Sponsored

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Hello fellow SERVICE AXLE LOCKER SYSTEM Jeepers; Everyone needs to write an online report of this condition to www.NHTSA.gov. It’s quick easy and takes 5-10 mins. Help us all out by filing your report on this to the National Highway Traffic Safety Association. They monitor complaints on vehicles and work with manufacturers to clear the problem. I reported this as drivetrain, electrical and other. When enough reports appear then the regulator helps the manufacturer figure out the problem and then they all get recalled that are affected.

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon

Jeep Wrangler JL Service axle locker system FF1D8A9D-A489-47AC-9D6C-4E815D10D0D0

Jeep Wrangler JL Service axle locker system FF1D8A9D-A489-47AC-9D6C-4E815D10D0D0

They have not been able to fix my jeep. I am curious do you have the four-cylinder turbo or the six cylinder? I’m trying to determine if they offer me a lemon law new Jeep if this is only isolated to the four-cylinder’s. Not that the locker issue is related to the cylinders in your car but the four-cylinder is manufactured in Italy whether as the six-cylinder is manufactured in Mexico. It could be an assembly problem.

Sierra

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
link.sierrar.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2015 BMW 328i F30
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
eCommerce Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like many people disabling axle lockers with tazer 😩

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
They have not been able to fix my jeep. I am curious do you have the four-cylinder turbo or the six cylinder? I’m trying to determine if they offer me a lemon law new Jeep if this is only isolated to the four-cylinder’s. Not that the locker issue is related to the cylinders in your car but the four-cylinder is manufactured in Italy whether as the six-cylinder is manufactured in Mexico. It could be an assembly problem.
It has nothing to do with engine, transmission, etc... It's the Dana44 axles that come with the Rubicon Jeeps. It's not even the axle, it's a $20 solenoid located in the axle that is failing. FCAs moronic solution is to replace the entire rear axle instead of the failing part. There is a TINY percentage of people with locker fails that are because of other reasons like loose wires, bad switch, etc...
Sponsored