Sponsored

Fire result of transmission failure

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
So here's the dual mass flywheel. Not a fantastic design in my opinion all riveted together. I guess it's supposed to separate the engine balancing portion from the piece making contact with the first clutch disc?

Whole assembly was in terrible condition, lots of heat burns.

20200404_183153.jpg
20200404_182345.jpg
20200404_182332.jpg
20200404_183150.jpg
That doesn't look like a dual mass flywheel to me. The part the friction disc contacts seems to be part of the same casting that is bolted to the crank. Is it actually two separate pieces with springs between?
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That doesn't look like a dual mass flywheel to me. The part the friction disc contacts seems to be part of the same casting that is bolted to the crank. Is it actually two separate pieces with springs between?
All i see is a flywheel riveted to another chunk of metal that contacts the first clutch disc. I think you could technically call it "dual mass" as there are two "masses" that make up its construction. Semantics?

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
If the dual mass flywheel is used to dampen vibration how does a unit like the Centerforce accomplish the task? Gotta luv the original manufacturer on the Jeep unit "LuK" - does that mean good luck? They have been around for a long time but I never purchased one, I have had good experience with Ford OEM or Ford racing units and had friends who used the Centerforce products with good success.

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
The Jeep Livestream event mentioned the parts are out now, but I called the dealership and they don't have access yet. So I think it will be out in a few days

Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
The Jeep Livestream event mentioned the parts are out now, but I called the dealership and they don't have access yet. So I think it will be out in a few days
Unfortunately I got home from work to late to "tune in", did anybody mention what they failure mode is or if ALL 6 speeds need a replacement & what the changes may be to prevent failure?

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Does this Centerforce have the moving weights? If so, avoid deep mud. The weights can get stuck due to mud. Not an ideal scenario on the trail.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately I got home from work to late to "tune in", did anybody mention what they failure mode is or if ALL 6 speeds need a replacement & what the changes may be to prevent failure?
The transmission itself is fine. The problem is in the material on the clutch plate. So the replacement will at least be the clutch plate, but possibly the entire clutch.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Great write up by Toycrusher and great pics! The Centerforce looks good. I look forward to hearing about how it drives.

In my case, I'll have to stick with OEM due to my lifetime warranty. That said, I don't think the OEM looks so bad after nearly 40k miles. I've most certainly seen worse.

When they get mine in for the recall, I'll try and get some pics of it. I've done a bit of towing of my fishing boat with mine. Plus, with my wife and bro-in-law smoking the hell out of it early in its life, I'll be curious if there is visible wear and tear from those events. It still drives perfectly with no vices.

I'd be curious to hear the story behind the design. I know that Aisin has an excellent reputation, particularly with Toyota applications, but with most automakers all over the world. I see Toyota's with Aisin manual transmissions with hundreds of thousands of miles on them and a rep for outlasting their slushbox equipped siblings. Their YJ units were excellent, too, as was the one in my 93. My hunch is that if it were not for a materials problem, these would be just fine. I'm also not convinced that they all have the material defect or we'd see more of them self destructing.

That said, Centerforce has a great rep, too, and the aftermarket is afforded some liberties that an OEM supplier is not. They've also got many years of experience with a wide range of designs and manufacturers. If I wasn't happy with the factory clutch, I'd fork over the money for the Centerforce, for sure. If the recall fix makes me less happy with the feel or function, and the Centerforce reviews are good, then I will certainly consider it.

For now, I'm hopeful that the fix feels and functions exactly as the current clutch, which is what I fully expect.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Does this Centerforce have the moving weights? If so, avoid deep mud. The weights can get stuck due to mud. Not an ideal scenario on the trail.
Does have moving weights. Though if i get THAT deep into the mud I'll probably have other things to worry about too :LOL:

Sponsored

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
anyone get the new recall installed yet?

Quadjeeper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Occupation
retired
Haha I think your the first one to notice! That’s my Instagram as well. That stuff was amazing but they banned it because I think it was speed lol. Also thank you for your service! It’s greatly appreciated!! Here’s my other toy, 1969 M35A2

Jeep Wrangler JL Fire result of transmission failure 20200406_132857

Nice deuce. I have a '71 M109A3, see avatar.
Sponsored