First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Jaguar XE, 2018 Fiat 500E
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Can you - or anyone else - confirm whether or not any of the wires are also routed inside to the cabin (in the footwell) on the non-factory install? I seem to be reading conflicting reports of this, or maybe I'm just misunderstanding. I've read in this thread that you only get 4 wires instead of 6 (the extra two from the factory being an ignition and always-on wire) but are those 4 wires routed inside the cabin, or just under the hood?

And if the internal wire routing still isn't included in the latest kits, is this something anyone has asked their dealer to customize for them to duplicate that functionality?
If you got the factory switches the same wires under the hood are also inside behind the glovebox.
The wires are on the backside of the blower motor behind the glovebox.
Sponsored

DCBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
If you got the factory switches the same wires under the hood are also inside behind the glovebox.
The wires are on the backside of the blower motor behind the glovebox.
This statement is correct you should have same set of wire for Aux1 - 4 both in engine compartment and under glove box... You then use the radio uconnect system to set how each aux switch is defined...

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Iā€™m not a fan of math and donā€™t want to get to into it just a yes or no will do.... can I add 2 sets of pods to one switch. I have Four 2 inch pods in front (which is what Iā€™d like to wire all to one switch if possible) , one 1 row 50 inch, 2 visionx 6 inch pods using aux 1 already. And I want to put 2 more 2 inch pods for reverse lights using the six switches... is this possible or should I just tap the reverse wires and call it a day?

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
Iā€™m not a fan of math and donā€™t want to get to into it just a yes or no will do.... can I add 2 sets of pods to one switch. I have Four 2 inch pods in front (which is what Iā€™d like to wire all to one switch if possible) , one 1 row 50 inch, 2 visionx 6 inch pods using aux 1 already. And I want to put 2 more 2 inch pods for reverse lights using the six switches... is this possible or should I just tap the reverse wires and call it a day?
as long as itā€™s within the specs of the Fuse amps you can. Just wire all the pods to a power distribution block and have the switches power the power block.

https://amzn.to/2Y0DCfN

Sponsored

JeepJL2018w

First Name
gs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Any idea the wire guage and amp rating?
I think I know what you are asking. Under the hood, I measured with a caliper a strand of the aux Orange wire and it is between the 20-18 AWG gauge and has 19 strands. It is definitely not 22 AWG gauge. I think the wire is called a GXL wire as opposed to the TXL wire. GXL is thin insulation and high-temp resistant. I found it on Wire Barn on eBay. They said it is same wire used in American cars and Chrysler. I did not get it yet. I am going to make my orange wire a foot longer because I kept using it up practicing crimping and soldering, etc, Once I measure it to verify same number strands and strand thickness.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
I think I know what you are asking. Under the hood, I measured with a caliper a strand of the aux Orange wire and it is between the 20-18 AWG gauge and has 19 strands. It is definitely not 22 AWG gauge. I think the wire is called a GXL wire as opposed to the TXL wire. GXL is thin insulation and high-temp resistant. I found it on Wire Barn on eBay. They said it is same wire used in American cars and Chrysler. I did not get it yet. I am going to make my orange wire a foot longer because I kept using it up practicing crimping and soldering, etc, Once I measure it to verify same number strands and strand thickness.
Please post link if possible if thatā€™s the oe wires or close to ive just been using primary wire from autozone

JeepJL2018w

First Name
gs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Please post link if possible if thatā€™s the oe wires or close to ive just been using primary wire from autozone

Gobs

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep rubicon
Any estimate on what a dealer would charge to do the install?
I ha seen the switch kit from $300-$330 for the Rubicon with the chrome bezel
thank you

Sponsored

DCBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Any estimate on what a dealer would charge to do the install?
I ha seen the switch kit from $300-$330 for the Rubicon with the chrome bezel
thank you
They will charge roughly the same amount for labor depending on your local dealers hourly rate... When i had them quote the item it was $750 not including tax and based on a certain period of time which they were quick to state could vary... So i did it myself and used the Tazer.. Even after doing the install just to have them do a dealer computer code update for just that one item they wanted $125... Since i use my Tazer for many things it was the way to go for me...

Last edited:

Irishjl

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Anyone know what tool to use for removal of the orange wire. I pulled the wire out of the pin and now canā€™t get the pin out with a small screwdriver. Stressing out!! How do I get the pin out of the connector? Thanks for the help.

JeepJL2018w

First Name
gs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Anyone know what tool to use for removal of the orange wire. I pulled the wire out of the pin and now canā€™t get the pin out with a small screwdriver. Stressing out!! How do I get the pin out of the connector? Thanks for the help.
There is a pick type tool. Comes by itself or in a set. I think it is called a molex or DuPont pin removal tool

Rubidream

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Rubicon Unlimited
Iā€™ve scanned this thread and forum and I canā€™t find any help. I have 6 LED rock lights that didnā€™t come with a module. I understand that I can wire these to one of the aux switched in my rubicon but do I have to run each of the two leads from the six lights up into the engine compartment to make connections? Can they not be wired in ā€œseriesā€ or something ?

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
I just finished installing this on my jlur. What a pain in the @$$

tips:
Buy a reading glasses repair kit which brings a small flat screwdriver. This will help to remove the wire 13. You will hear a click sound when it unplugged. Push it out with a small Allen key. Do not pull.
I broke the crimp connector and had to remove the connector by itself, then soldered it.

if you get a ESS light on your dash that means you didnā€™t connected the factory 13 wire to the new male wire. Skip the plug and just connect those two together and add electrical tape to hold them in place.

Pro tip: take it to the dealership
Sponsored