Willys sport or Willys

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Good point about resale. But for people who live in northern states, I think WIlly's Sport could be attractive.
Perhaps, or perhaps not. I assume your thinking is AC is not needed due to a cooler climate? Not really sure how manual windows and locks play into the theory. Like I said, I should have just kept my mouth shut. I don't want to rain on someone's parade, someone who has already bought the Willy's Sport and now their reading this. That's not who I am and we all know how it feels to buy something, just to have some a-hole trash it.

To me its just a poor marketing scheme by Jeep. Anything to rack up a few more $$$ for the quarterly report.

I love Jeeps and have for many years. All I've owned for most of my adult life is Jeep Wranglers. I'm very loyal to the brand, probably same as most folks on this forum. Jeep already had a stripped down base model, they didn't need to add another one and slap a Willy's sticker on it. Yes, yes, I know it has some other goodies.

I apologize to any Willy's Sport owners and I did not mean to offend anyone.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
We bitch when there are not enough choices and bitch when there too many choices.

No one is forced to buy one model over the other. It's their cash. Let everyone choose and buy what they want. You don't like one then buy the other.

Personally I like the choice and options.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
...I don't want to rain on someone's parade, someone who has already bought the Willy's Sport and now their reading this. That's not who I am and we all know how it feels to buy something, just to have some a-hole trash it.... Jeep already had a stripped down base model, they didn't need to add another one and slap a Willy's sticker on it...apologize to any Willy's Sport owners and I did not mean to offend anyone.
You aren’t. Nothing in your post suggested that you were. On this forum, exchanging of ideas and opinions on the topic at hand is welcomed. No need to apologize for having an opinion and sharing it.

On topic, I am all for assortment, choice and availability for selection. Jeep always has had a “special edition” or limited run of a model. To the uninformed Wrangler buyer who suffers from reading comprehension and gets confused very easily, the additional model choice with similar nomenclature can become confusing.

This isn’t a dig at the OP but rather to the people today and tomorrow who are either too lazy to read, too lazy to do their own research and or too ________ to navigate around Jeep’s website to figure out key differences among the model choices.

Buy whatever fits in line with your finances now. Or don’t.

Sohm Wan

First Name
Sohm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit 2011
so to my understanding. hopefully, willys sport is manual ruggedness and willys (sport s) automatic ruggedness. all building towards the rubicon model. correct?

Sdallnct

First Name
Scott Dallal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sport 2door manual
So I’m still confused. Is it really AC and 7” screen (w/carplay) and available options as the difference? Yes, I did dig around a bit. It says for example that power windows on the Willy is “selected”. But I didn’t select it. And can’t see to unselect it’s. So I’m not 100% sure the Willy come w/power windows. If it does, least that makes up for some of price.

It might be moot as I want the premium soft top that doesn’t look available in the WS.

And I know the WS is “stripped down”. My current 2016 JK is a Sport. Manual, 2door. Only options I put on were AC and premium soft top. And I love it. Only reason I’m going to sell as I just had about $2,000 in engine repairs (got them to cover under warrant even tho technically it was out of warranty by a few weeks). That makes about $5,500 in warranty repairs in 5 years. Not including airbags. I don’t want to go without a warranty.

I’ll put my own radio in, so don’t care about the 7”. But there has to be more at that price difference. AC is only like $1,200

Last edited:

Sponsored

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
The Willy's Sport is based off the Sport and the Willy's is based off the Sport S. Back when I bought my last wrangler, a current "Sport" would be called an SE and a "Sport S" would be called a Sport. That's how I think of them....

If you look down the order guide you can compare all the differences from a quick glance. These are what I see as standard on a Willys that are not on a Willys Sport:

Air conditioning
Automatic headlamps
Front LED fog lamps
LED headlamps
Premium reflector headlamps
Heated mirrors
Power windows
Remote keyless entry
Security alarm
Speed sensitive power locks
Sun visors with vanity mirrors
Leather wrapped steering wheel

The Willys also gets you more options choices.

MSRP of Willy's Sport package is 1700 dollars vs MSRP of Willy's package is 5695 dollars.

Comparing base MSRPs of the two on the
2 door model it looks like it's a 3,995 dollar difference in starting prices. Still probably a decent value for most people.

Both get the HD brakes, m220 w/ LSD, alloys w/ mud tires, tinted rear windows, floor mats, decals, etc.

I bought a Willy's Sport. And yes I got it without AC. I could have bought either, could have bought a Rubicon... But I want to build it out myself, with what I want.

I don't care about resale. This car is for me and I'm buying it how *I* want it. :)

Im always a fan of having options (or lack thereof) when ordering. As far as the Willy's Sport option being there "to rack up a few more $$$"
Car companies want to sell options. They don't want to sell base models as they make way more profit on highly optioned vehicles.

That's the reason you also can't select more options on the Willy's Sport. Why can't you select cold weather package, technology group, safety group, 7 inch screen, or premium top, etc on a base Willy's Sport? They're compatible. They'd fit. Because they want you to step up to the full Willys.

My Willy's Sport is literally half the price of a fully optioned Rubicon. Is the Rubicon getting more features standard? You bet! Is the sum value of those features worth the entire MSRP of a base vehicle? That's for the buyer to decide!

Last edited:

Sdallnct

First Name
Scott Dallal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sport 2door manual
The Willy's Sport is based off the Sport and the Willy's is based off the Sport S. Back when I bought my last wrangler, a current "Sport" would be called an SE and a "Sport S" would be called a Sport. That's how I think of them....

If you look down the order guide you can compare all the differences from a quick glance. These are what I see as standard on a Willys that are not on a Willys Sport:

Air conditioning
Automatic headlamps
Front LED fog lamps
LED headlamps
Premium reflector headlamps
Heated mirrors
Power windows
Remote keyless entry
Security alarm
Speed sensitive power locks
Sun visors with vanity mirrors

The Willys also gets you more options choices.

MSRP of Willy's Sport package is 1700 dollars vs MSRP of Willy's package is 3200 dollars.

So, for all of the above fetures you're only paying 1500 bucks. Sound like a good deal to me. AC alone is 1300.

Both get the HD brakes, m220 w/ LSD, alloys w/ mud tires, tinted rear windows, floor mats, decals, etc.

I bought a Willy's Sport. And yes I got it without AC. I could have bought either, could have bought a Rubicon... But I want to build it out myself, with what I want.

I don't care about resale. This car is for me and I'm buying it how *I* want it. :)

Im always a fan of having options (or lack thereof) when ordering. As far as the Willy's Sport option being there "to rack up a few more $$$"
Car companies want to sell options. They don't want to sell base models as they make way more profit on highly optioned vehicles.

That's the reason you also can't select more options on the Willy's Sport. Why can't you select cold weather package, technology group, safety group, 7 inch screen, or premium top, etc on a base Willy's Sport? They're compatible. They'd fit. Because they want you to step up to the full Willys.

My Willy's Sport is literally half the price of a fully optioned Rubicon. Is the Rubicon getting more features standard? You bet! Is the sum value of those features worth the entire MSRP of a base vehicle? That's for the buyer to decide!
Thank You. Big help. Tho since I can’t add the premium soft top to the WS very well makes it a deal breaker for me. Annoying since I was able to get premium soft top on my Sport (2016).

And like you, I don’t buy into the resale issue argument. I have a base sport and I’ve had 2 offers on mine. I’ll have no issues selling. I’m actually waiting to do some PDR on the hood from minor hail damage. After that and detail, it will do very well on resale. Amazing for a Chrysler. Mainly because there are so few manual 2doors in this area.

I also don’t think it ever a good idea to “upgrade” anything from Chrysler for an investment. Much better taking the $10k-15k save by going with a Willy or Sport and really investing It.

To each their own. I don’t hate the Rubicon, just don’t have the need.

Thank you! Appreciate

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taking the cost breakdown one step further.... I guess because I'm a nerd.

I looked into where your money is going for the Willy's. Hopefully someone finds this helpful!

So the Willy's Sport package is a 1700 dollar option. That will get you:

HD brakes
M220 w/ LSD
Rubicon shocks
Black painted Rubicon wheels
Mud tires
Rock rails
All weather floor mats
Tinted rear windows
Gloss black grill
Decals

The Willy's package is 5695 dollars. Where does that big increase come from?

Let's factor in the 1700 for the above options.

The Willy's is based on a Sport S. Sport S has an MSRP of 3200 for the upgrade from sport.

That's 4900 dollars for the Sport S and the Willy's group. That leaves 795 dollars on the table.

The Sport S does not come standard with LED headlights or fog lights. That's a 895 dollar option.

So depending on how you look at it, you're saving 100 dollars on the LED group by buying a Willy's or you're paying 1600 for the Willy's group buying a Sport S with the LED group.

So if the Willy's options are worth 1600 dollars to you, it's a pretty fair deal.

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I looked into where your money is going for the Willy's. Hopefully someone finds this helpful!

HD brakes
M220 w/ LSD
Rubicon shocks
Mud tires
Rock rails
All weather floor mats
Tinted rear windows
Gloss black grill
Decals

The Willy's is based on a Sport S. Sport S has an MSRP of 3200 for the upgrade from sport.

That's 4900 dollars for the Sport S and the Willy's group. That leaves 795 dollars on the table.

The Sport S does not come standard with LED headlights or fog lights. That's a 895 dollar option.

So depending on how you look at it, you're saving 100 dollars on the LED group by buying a Willy's or you're paying 1600 for the Willy's group buying a Sport S with the LED group.

So if the Willy's options are worth 1600 dollars to you, it's a pretty fair deal.
This is exactly why I love this forum. People take these things to a nerd level it does not need to go to. Beautiful.

Sdallnct

First Name
Scott Dallal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sport 2door manual
My problem (which is not a “real” problem) is that I like the Willys upgraded items, but not all of the Sport S items (since I’m getting a 2door I don’t need power windows for example). But do like the beefy breaks, shocks, etc. and I like the wheels and tires enough, id not swap out till I wore them out (unlike my sport that came w/16” steels and 29” tires that I swapped right away.

But I do want the premium top.

Sponsored

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
My problem (which is not a “real” problem) is that I like the Willys upgraded items, but not all of the Sport S items (since I’m getting a 2door I don’t need power windows for example). But do like the beefy breaks, shocks, etc. and I like the wheels and tires enough, id not swap out till I wore them out (unlike my sport that came w/16” steels and 29” tires that I swapped right away.

But I do want the premium top.
Yeah back in the day you could customize your vehicle more with a "custom" order. Now to streamline production and cut down on cost everything is part of a package. For most people it works out OK but I understand your issue.

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That was my issue as well. I specifically did not want the creature comforts of the Sport S. I wanted an old school, no nonsense Jeep-Jeep. At least as close to that as I could get with a new JL...

If I could have, I would have speced the tan premium soft top with my Sarge Green 2 door Willy's Sport order. If it's that big of a deal for me in the future (and for you) I priced it out as 1900 dollars from an OEM parts supplier to buy the four pieces of a premium top to swap out with the standard fabric.

At that point you're almost paying to not have creature comforts though.... So I'm on the fence.

Black premium is a 595 option on a Sport S... So you're paying an extra 1305 for the premium top after the fact.... Still cheaper than the Sport S. You're eating into the difference though.

Last edited:

Sdallnct

First Name
Scott Dallal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sport 2door manual
That was my issue as well. I specifically did not want the creature comforts of the Sport S. I wanted an old school, no nonsense Jeep-Jeep. At least as close to that as I could get with a new JL...

If I could have, I would have speced the tan premium soft top with my Sarge Green 2 door Willy's Sport order. If it's that big of a deal for me in the future (and for you) I priced it out as 1900 dollars from an OEM parts supplier to buy the four pieces of a premium top to swap out with the standard fabric.

At that point you're almost paying to not have creature comforts though.... So I'm on the fence.

Black premium is a 595 option on a Sport S... So you're paying an extra 1305 for the premium top after the fact.... Still cheaper than the Sport S. You're eating into the difference though.
Again, great information. $1,900 for the premium soft top (from parts), $1,250 for AC on the WS, means about 2k difference between WS and W (adding the premium top).

I do like the LED lighting. it would be something I’d get right away aftermarket, so I do like that being included.

I do have CarPlay (via a pioneer unit) in my current Jeep and love. So having it come with is nice. But, I would have likely gotten a much bigger and nicer aftermarket unit.

It’s still a tough call. I actually like not having a key fob to carry around. And I like I can get cheap extra keys (which I have) and even have a couple keys that will unlock the doors but not start the engine.

And FYI, I would get the Sarge Green. No doubt. But had not looked at the tan top. That is sharp as heck! And as I live in North Texas, might help a bit with the heat.

drshaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys 6MT, 2015 Ody
I just ordered a 2021 Willys JLU - I hadn't even really considered the Willys Sport, as we had a Sport S JKU and that was kind of our starting point. LEDs were important to us (dark as heck where we're at). Also being here in New England, there were key stakeholders that wouldn't roll with a new Jeep without the cold weather package (not avail on Willys Sport).

Had ALMOST gone Freedom Ed - that's the cheapest way to get the rear center folding armrest, but I'm glad we went Willys (Sorry kids! No armrest for you). Very happy choosing Willys for the mechanical upgrades, and getting the 6spd manual freed up $ to put toward other options.

Sdallnct

First Name
Scott Dallal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sport 2door manual

HD brakes
M220 w/ LSD
Rubicon shocks
Mud tires
Rock rails
All weather floor mats
Tinted rear windows
Gloss black grill
Decals

Yea, you nailed.

The LED lights is something I would do immediately via aftermarket. So having them included will likely push me over the edge to a Willy.

Plus I just hate the idea of ordering the premium soft top thru parts for the WS at $1,900 when the upgrade is only $600 on the Willy (which IMO is one of the better upgrades if no plans for a hardtop. Which I don’t).

There are enough other nice if not needed for the rest of the difference between the Willy and Willy Sport.

For grins I did price out the Rubicon. I’m not showing it comes w/LED lights. I’m I just missing that? That seems shocking.
Sponsored