Comlie

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, I recently just got my 35 inch tires in! I have the rough country 2.5 in spacer lift on its way. My question is, is it possible/safe to lift the Jeep up high enough on jack stands to install the lift? I’ve never done anything like this mechanically so my brother who’s rebuilt his motor on his mustang will be helping but he’s never done any suspension related work. I really would like to do it myself for the experience and reward of building it but also want to be safe and make sure it can be done. My local Jeep dealership quoted me at about $620 for labor which seems pretty steep. What are everyone’s thoughts on this?
Sponsored

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Absolutely. Jack up from underneath the pumpkin, slide jackstands under the frame, take the wheels off, then let the jack down.

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
You have to go fairly high to get the springs back in, I recently did a 2" spacer lift (with shock extensions), and had to fight with the front springs more than I liked, had I gone a little higher things may have been easier. (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/sahara-on-33s-teraflex-1-5-spacer-lift-0-5.48005/)

It took me about 4 hours, I followed the directions from @blnewt on this thread (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/), much less messing around than the instructions that I got from the Teraflex site (you can also find torque values in the linked thread).

I also added Mopar LCA's, after the fact, and they made a difference, and yesterday I eventually got an alignment done, now it drives like before.

OP
OP
Comlie

Comlie

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Okay awesome thanks guys! ExtremeTerrain has a video guide with torque values for the necessary spots. Should be super helpful for us. 4 hours that’s impressive! I’m not sure I’ll be able to have it done that fast lol

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I’m not sure I’ll be able to have it done that fast lol
Nothing wrong with slow & steady, it's not a bad project at all, and always nice to get to know your vehicle along the way :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Comlie

Comlie

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing wrong with slow & steady, it's not a bad project at all, and always nice to get to know your vehicle along the way :)
Exactly that’s really why I want to do it. I feel like it means a lot more to do it yourself plus the knowledge gained is very valuable

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Go to Autozone and borrow a set of spring compressors. $54 that is refunded to you when you return them. Compress the springs to get them in and out easier without having to lower the axle as much or if you have limited range because of the jack stands. I did spacers this way multiple times and it makes it a breeze.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Did my Mopar lift with 6 ton jackstands and a floor jack. Got more than enough travel to freely pull the coils out and put in the new ones.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
if you are not using spring compressors and are pushing the axle down far enough to get the springs in with the spacers be sure that you unplug your FAD and remove the retainers so there is enough slack. Also your brake lines.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
if you are not using spring compressors and are pushing the axle down far enough to get the springs in with the spacers be sure that you unplug your FAD and remove the retainers so there is enough slack. Also your brake lines.
Also the axle breather hose, parking brake cables, and if you have a Rubicon, the locker wiring.

Sponsored

dajaga

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport
I did the 2.5 rc lift too, pretty easy just take your time. Also don't know if you have a steel bumper and or a winch if you do and adding a lift it might really mess with your geometry, i got some bad geometry with mine and installed a track bar, helped a little now I'm just waiting for my lower control arms to see if that will sort out my issues which I'm thinking it will.

If you haven't installed the kit yet i might suggest you to price out the track bar and lca first or maybe see if you can find a kit with those in it.

If i were to do it again I'd just go with a kit with everything in it

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
It can definitely be done with jack stands. Did my rc spacer lift and mopar lift with just jack stands. If you have an impact that will speed things up.
Sponsored