Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2003 TJ, 2020 JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone installed one of the big aluminum skid plates under a diesel? Does anyone know of any out there now that would work?
Sponsored

LotaBoot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU EcoDiesel (built : waiting on delivery)
Occupation
Digital Product Experience Designer
Has anyone installed one of the big aluminum skid plates under a diesel? Does anyone know of any out there now that would work?
Aluminum? Is that a common material for skid plates? I'm planning on installing Metalcloak UnderCloak once they release a diesel version. But that's made of 7 gauge steel. I've seen Lite Brite catch their super-heavy Stepchild on a rock without their UnderCloak breaking a sweat. I'm not sure I'd trust aluminum to provide similar protection for our heavier (albeit lighter than lite brite's) rigs. But I'm interested in hearing others' POV

OP
OP
Dasher320

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Aluminum? Is that a common material for skid plates? I'm planning on installing Metalcloak UnderCloak once they release a diesel version. But that's made of 7 gauge steel. I've seen Lite Brite catch their super-heavy Stepchild on a rock without their UnderCloak breaking a sweat. I'm not sure I'd trust aluminum to provide similar protection for our heavier (albeit lighter than lite brite's) rigs. But I'm interested in hearing others' POV
Artec makes good stuff and they sell one. My TJ gets 10 mpg. Tough as nails but the thing is so damn heavy it’s ridiculous. So with this build I’m going with aluminum where I can. I put an aluminum front bumper on to start.
https://www.artecindustries.com/jluskidplate-al36

Big Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU 2020 JLURD on order 2008 JKU 2015 GMC Denali Tow Pig

I'm with Dasher320 on this...Artec's aluminum all belly skid system is the shit. My JK has wheeled all over TX, Oklahoma (Clayton/Green Acres), Arkansas (Hot Springs), New Mexico (Choke Cherry/Four Corners area), Colorado, Moab, Rubicon Trail and multiple Johnson Valley trips running the Hammer trails supporting and spectating KoH...Artec will go on this 3.0 as well when they put it on the market. I'm a big MC fan but Artec won me over with the aluminum JK skids I've run for several years now.

JRMedic19

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '14 Toyo Highlander, '19 Toyo Camry
Occupation
Wang-Jangler
Vehicle Showcase
$2,000 for the kit! Holy smokes Batman. I mean, you get what you pay for but holy crap.

Sponsored

Big Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$2,000 for the kit! Holy smokes Batman. I mean, you get what you pay for but holy crap.
If you're not gonna wheel hard additional skids aren't necessary....def a luxury but well worth it in the right situations...I've seen enough rigs with cracked TCases and transmission housings, punctured oil pans and fuel tanks carrying 2-3 gallons less than they were designed for to make it worth it to me.

Gringostarr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S Diesel Ocean Blue
Occupation
Architect
If you're not gonna wheel hard additional skids aren't necessary....def a luxury but well worth it in the right situations...I've seen enough rigs with cracked TCases and transmission housings, punctured oil pans and fuel tanks carrying 2-3 gallons less than they were designed for to make it worth it to me.
Skid plates always seem optional until you need them.

$2k isn't a bad price for aluminum plates considering the weight savings and most good steel plates start at around $1200 anyway.

LotaBoot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Y'all have converted me. I'm waiting for Artec to makes an aluminum diesel belly pan. If they are solid enough for Hollie's Mischief Maker—my "puny" diesel should be juuuuuuust fine.

OP
OP
Dasher320

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Y'all have converted me. I'm waiting for Artec to makes an aluminum diesel belly pan. If they are solid enough for Hollie's Mischief Maker—my "puny" diesel should be juuuuuuust fine.
I'm sorry--I probably cost you an extra grand by starting this thread :CWL:

Sponsored

LotaBoot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm sorry--I probably cost you an extra grand by starting this thread :CWL:
Ha! My build is already quite heavy. I haven’t weighed it yet, but it’s got KMC machete beadlocks, 37s, a Rock Krawler lift (I’ve heard they are known to be heavier then other lifts out there), steel front and rear bumpers, and a winch. Trying to get some weight savings somewhere and skids are really the last place I can do it, before replacing my new mods with newer ones :)

Big Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ha! My build is already quite heavy. I haven’t weighed it yet, but it’s got KMC machete beadlocks, 37s, a Rock Krawler lift (I’ve heard they are known to be heavier then other lifts out there), steel front and rear bumpers, and a winch. Trying to get some weight savings somewhere and skids are really the last place I can do it, before replacing my new mods with newer ones :)
How has the diesel handled the wheels and 37's?

LotaBoot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
How has the diesel handled the wheels and 37's?
Like they’re not even there. No exaggeration. The 0-60 is still 7.5 seconds in 4-high. Obviously, 0-60 isn’t useful metric for off-road rigs. But it was the only objective measurement I could think of benchmarking the rig’s ability to rotate the additional mass.
In 2-high, the rear wheels spun and chirped. So there’s certainly no shortcomings in power.
From a body mod and suspension perspective; I saw plenty of videos about rubbing and such with 37s on stock, so before I even installed the beadlocks and 37s, I removed the front and rear inner fenders, installed the AAL DRL brackets in the front and rough country inner fenders in the front and rear. That made the rig easily road-worthy on 37s. Then I put on a 2.5” Rock Krawler Adventure Series 3 lift to ensure I had the up-travel needed for off-road.

OP
OP
Dasher320

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Like they’re not even there. No exaggeration. The 0-60 is still 7.5 seconds in 4-high. Obviously, 0-60 isn’t useful metric for off-road rigs. But it was the only objective measurement I could think of benchmarking the rig’s ability to rotate the additional mass.
In 2-high, the rear wheels spun and chirped. So there’s certainly no shortcomings in power.
From a body mod and suspension perspective; I saw plenty of videos about rubbing and such with 37s on stock, so before I even installed the beadlocks and 37s, I removed the front and rear inner fenders, installed the AAL DRL brackets in the front and rough country inner fenders in the front and rear. That made the rig easily road-worthy on 37s. Then I put on a 2.5” Rock Krawler Adventure Series 3 lift to ensure I had the up-travel needed for off-road.
What's the backspacing on those wheels. I'm waiting (and waiting and waiting) for AEV Borah's with 4.5" backspacing. Hoping they work with the 37's I have in the spare bedroom.

LotaBoot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What's the backspacing on those wheels. I'm waiting (and waiting and waiting) for AEV Borah's with 4.5" backspacing. Hoping they work with the 37's I have in the spare bedroom.
KMC Machetes have 3.5” of backspacing.
Sponsored