Sponsored

Axle Truss - When/Why would I use one?

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I use my JLUR as a daily driver, but I'm also building it a bit to handle most of what my area has to handle. I'm only on 34" tires, but am contemplating 37 in a couple years when these need to be replaced. A few folks suggested I get an Axle Truss on the front to keep the FAD area from breaking when flexing it on bigger rocks. A few other folks then suggested that an Axle Truss will warp my axle housing and I should just stay away from them. Now I'm confused. Under what conditions would you consider an axle truss, and what cautions should I consider prior to moving ahead with one? Thanks!

Wheeling conditions are mud/rocks/hilly terrain (off-camber & up/down up to +- 30 degrees) & very tight tree-lined paths. Primary driving conditions are suburban, paved, with many large unruly parked SUVs and Pickups and a few random passenger cars.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I think they are cheap insurance. The FAD is the weak link in the axle and having a truss welded on correctly wonā€™t warp the axle. Itā€™s one of those things that just takes time and you canā€™t rush it. @Artec has in my opinion the best one on the market

Brett

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I bought one from Evo and had them install it when they did my regear, the only person I've heard talk about it warping the axle is wayoflife and that's probably because he got a prorock44.

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
As mentioned before, it is a low cost insurance policy. I run trails in an area with large rocks and dry creek beds and with 38s on each corner, the truss gives me that extra confidence needed to attempt certain obstacles. Common sense trumps all armor and upgrades, however with the addition of this kit from Artec Industries, my concerns of trail damage lie elsewhere like, cutting a tire (did it), snapping an axle Ujoint (done), bent tie rod (check), or running out of beer (not yet).

0907191551_HDR~2.jpg

0826192356_HDR~2.jpg

Sponsored

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
I'm doing a regear to 5.13s, so I'm going to do the @Artec truss. Ordered parts today, now I wait for everything to arrive and then we get to work!
I know this thread is older, but wanted to see how it went? im on 35ā€™s, a manual Sport JLU, and regearing to 4.88 soon. Iā€™m leaning toward trussing my axle and wanted to see how others have done with it. Appreciate any feedback!

OP
OP
Dogboyslim

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I had a local mechanic do the work. While he had everything out of the housing, he welded on the truss. After everything cooled, he finished up the gear change. I don't notice any difference while driving, and my axle hasn't broken when wheeling, so ... Success?
b33f916f-d883-49a3-8730-a647384cf7e0-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I am surprised that the Artec trusses appear to only be $100. That's quite affordable for what it is.

If you're not jumping your rig I'm struggling to see a benefit. Does anyone have compelling evidence of a housing snapping while crawling or at 4lo speeds?

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I am surprised that the Artec trusses appear to only be $100. That's quite affordable for what it is.

If you're not jumping your rig I'm struggling to see a benefit. Does anyone have compelling evidence of a housing snapping while crawling or at 4lo speeds?
There have been some failures at the FAD, that seems to be the weak spot. I can see the potential for damage if you high center on as rock at the pumpkin, that puts a lot of bending force on the axle. A truss would help alleviate that risk

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I think they are cheap insurance. The FAD is the weak link in the axle and having a truss welded on correctly wonā€™t warp the axle. Itā€™s one of those things that just takes time and you canā€™t rush it. @Artec has in my opinion the best one on the market

Brett
I like the look of the Artec and the lighter weight versus the EVO. But is 1/8ā€ thick enough? I understand the dimple dies add strength, but still. (Iā€™m no metal or welding expert, which is why Iā€™m asking)

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like the look of the Artec and the lighter weight versus the EVO. But is 1/8ā€ thick enough? I understand the dimple dies add strength, but still. (Iā€™m no metal or welding expert, which is why Iā€™m asking)
Artec is one of the top brands and have done a tremendous amount of r&d for their trusses. Itā€™s one of their bread and butter product lines. In my experience they nailed it and I donā€™t have any concerns of a truss failure when installed correctly. These arenā€™t something Iā€™d suggest installing in your driveway though. When I do them, Iā€™ll pull the axle out and do it on one of my fixture tables with custom axle stands. We sandblast all areas that are getting weld, you have to do pre and post heat on the cast steel sections and then allow it to slowly cool. The labor is a significant part of the cost but itā€™s certainly something you want done correctly

Brett

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Artec is one of the top brands and have done a tremendous amount of r&d for their trusses. Itā€™s one of their bread and butter product lines. In my experience they nailed it and I donā€™t have any concerns of a truss failure when installed correctly. These arenā€™t something Iā€™d suggest installing in your driveway though. When I do them, Iā€™ll pull the axle out and do it on one of my fixture tables with custom axle stands. We sandblast all areas that are getting weld, you have to do pre and post heat on the cast steel sections and then allow it to slowly cool. The labor is a significant part of the cost but itā€™s certainly something you want done correctly

Brett
Good deal...how much do you charge for labor to add a front truss?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good deal...how much do you charge for labor to add a front truss?
Depending on what all has been done to Jeep that will take time to remove Iā€™m usually around 7-8 hrs.

Brett