Sponsored

Eric200mph

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler rubicon 4dr
Pro charger i didn't like the fact that you have to relocate the starter and cut fan shroud and you have to pay for helical gears in charger which are standard in Ripp . Ripp does go in nicer. but I don't know the comparison on how they perform? My RIpp is loud with the blow off vale (SWOOSH) when I let off gas, very little whine ,very fast ,almost ridiculous on my 38"s. I actually want to quiet down the blow off valve some how? but to each there own some people complain about to much whine on other brands (pro-charger),and some guy like hearing the air release. they both write their own software and use Diablo sport to put on market to make it user friendly or you can opt to custom tune with pro-charger, with laptop, keep in mind anyone advertising over 400hp to wheels will damage this 3.6 over time, under 380 hp to rear wheels is safe. My Ripp produced 425 hp to the rear wheel on Dyno. Ripp actually turned it way down, and thats the program release the 2019' JL's and up are getting with kit, depending on your ECU number given to them before you get it, my engine feels like a V8 from the start , sounds like a Jet taking off when I lay in to it
then you have roots style, cleaner install , but they have LAG and more money, less low end power, i run the roots style on my CTV V8 640hp, i would never have roots style on a jeep, or any lifted truck

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
That’s great info. I didn’t realize the RIPP unit had helical gears. I definitely prefer a quieter blower. Ever thought of piping the blow off valve to another location? I know my hellcat had a mechanical valve do the same function but it routed the air back into low pressure side of intake so you couldn’t hear it.

I currently have a JLUR diesel on order but am thinking of getting the 3.6 instead due to issues they head in the past and all the cost to repair it if something does go wrong. I like the torque and MPG of diesel but I’m not sure I wouldn’t be better served with 3.6 and RIPP. Do you have an auto or 6spd? Any issues with reliability? What type of mpg do you get highway/city? Any input you have is appreciated.

Eric200mph

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler rubicon 4dr
not sure about diesel it new thing but i under stand they have been running that engine in other mopars ?
I have 8 speed automatic , 15 mpg -18 mpg hwy ,with 38" x 15.5 wide(heavy) i change my gears to 4.88's
12 mpg city, so far reliable
gas mileage will very greatly on types of builds,gear,tire size, tread type, and height s

ShawnC

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
Pro charger i didn't like the fact that you have to relocate the starter and cut fan shroud and you have to pay for helical gears in charger which are standard in Ripp . Ripp does go in nicer. but I don't know the comparison on how they perform? My RIpp is loud with the blow off vale (SWOOSH) when I let off gas, very little whine ,very fast ,almost ridiculous on my 38"s. I actually want to quiet down the blow off valve some how? but to each there own some people complain about to much whine on other brands (pro-charger),and some guy like hearing the air release. they both write their own software and use Diablo sport to put on market to make it user friendly or you can opt to custom tune with pro-charger, with laptop, keep in mind anyone advertising over 400hp to wheels will damage this 3.6 over time, under 380 hp to rear wheels is safe. My Ripp produced 425 hp to the rear wheel on Dyno. Ripp actually turned it way down, and thats the program release the 2019' JL's and up are getting with kit, depending on your ECU number given to them before you get it, my engine feels like a V8 from the start , sounds like a Jet taking off when I lay in to it
then you have roots style, cleaner install , but they have LAG and more money, less low end power, i run the roots style on my CTV V8 640hp, i would never have roots style on a jeep, or any lifted truck

Thanks for this... these kinds of reviews are great...

And I'm super-impressed you had the discipline to "turn down" the power... lol... that had to be hard to do...

-Shawn

Sponsored

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the input. Max tire size I will do is 37’s but 35’s are more likely. I don’t go off-road much I’m getting it more for the look and open air ability. I know, poser/mall crawler... I’ll own it but it’s America life is more about wants than needs. I really appreciate your feed back and am now awaiting feed back from dealership on availability of 3.6 JLUR.

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
Procharger and ripp use a centrifugal style supercharger which is very similar to a turbo but its belt driven instead of exhaust gas. They require rpm to build boost. All of the roots style kits out there today for JLs are actually a screw type supercharger. The two designs are similar enough to be grouped in the same category for this discussion but a screw type is more efficient than a roots.

A screw type blower has more low end power and less lag than a centrifugal blower.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Procharger and ripp use a centrifugal style supercharger which is very similar to a turbo but its belt driven instead of exhaust gas. They require rpm to build boost. All of the roots style kits out there today for JLs are actually a screw type supercharger. The two designs are similar enough to be grouped in the same category for this discussion but a screw type is more efficient than a roots.

A screw type blower has more low end power and less lag than a centrifugal blower.
Magnuson says on their website that they are using a Roots-type supercharger.

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
Magnuson says on their website that they are using a Roots-type supercharger.
They are using a TVS1900 which is a Screw type supercharger. Roots and Screw are both positive displacement superchargers and the names have just become synonymous with one another. Externally, they look pretty much the same but the differences are all on how they create boost. Kenne Bell does a decent right up of the differences but there are plenty of articles out there to help explain how each one functions

http://kennebell.net/tech/supercharger-tech/twin-screw-vs-roots/

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
They are using a TVS1900 which is a Screw type supercharger. Roots and Screw are both positive displacement superchargers and the names have just become synonymous with one another. Externally, they look pretty much the same but the differences are all on how they create boost. Kenne Bell does a decent right up of the differences but there are plenty of articles out there to help explain how each one functions

http://kennebell.net/tech/supercharger-tech/twin-screw-vs-roots/
Know the difference between the 2 types, which is why I was surprised when Magnuson said "Roots-type". Even they say it wrong. :LOL:

Sponsored

LateBraking

First Name
Y'all a cult.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
"CARB pending" on RIPP's page.

:rock:

over 400hp to wheels will damage this 3.6 over time, under 380 hp to rear wheels is safe. My Ripp produced 425 hp to the rear wheel on Dyno. Ripp actually turned it way down, and thats the program release the 2019' JL's and up are getting with kit, depending on your ECU number given to them before you get it

And I'm super-impressed you had the discipline to "turn down" the power... lol... that had to be hard to do...

-Shawn
I agree, most people chase those numbers without thinking of consequences. I approve of Ripp's line of thinking.

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
Where do you people get your information? A tvs1900 is made by Eaton and it's a roots style supercharger says so right on the Eaton website. I think they might know what they are making! A Whipple would be a twin screw. Also a centrifugal supercharger is not going to have more lower end boost than PD supercharger. Reading the stuff on here reminds me of this!

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Clearly you have mixed roots with turbo? Lag? By definition roots-style doesn't have lag. By definition they have more low end power. By definition they're better for crawling because they don't need to spool up like a centrifugal supercharger or a turbo. If you have a manual they don't need you to keep the RPMs up and waste your clutch.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6

-Shawn
Must have used a smaller pully... now with a bigger pully, the centrifugal superchugger must be a dream to drive (note the sarcasm)

Suchestom

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 1988 YJ, 1983 CJ8, 1979 CJ7
Supercharger lag is negligible. Turbochargers experience noticeable lag because you have to generate exhaust to spool the turbo. I put the RIPP system on my JL, I’m not armchair quarterbacking theories, I’m driving it. With a hot tune it will scratch off 37s or break them in a curve. Tune I’m running now is just below that. The supercharger design isn’t the limiting factor, you aren’t taxing any supercharger design’s capabilities. The engine is the first limiting factor, followed by the transmission. Crank the fuel and air too far and you will be replacing hard parts. RIPP customer service is great.
Sponsored