Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU EcoDiesel First Drive Reviews and Performance Specs

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
Mine has been in the shop constantly since 180 miles for EGR related issues. Kinda regretting getting the diesel. Been driving my cummins powered cj7 and do not miss the ecodiesel at all. When it worked great but too many problems, thus far.

Power with my mildly tuned VE pump 4bt is on par with the ecodiesel in my wrangler. Get far better MPG with the 4bt 25/26 mpg vs the 15 or so I was getting (probably related to the multiple EGR issues that plague my ecodiesel wrangler).
Sponsored

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I wonder why FCA does not offer a 7 year unlimited mileage warranty on the diesel engines like they do the gasoline models?
Warranties are more than often marketing tools to increase sales when people don't trust a vehicle.
My 08 JKUR came with a life-time powertrain warranty, which was no longer offered after the JK became popular.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
driven a 2020 ram 4X4 1500 Crew Cab Laramie eco diesel gen 3 a few times now...NO LAAAAAG AT ALLLLLLLLLL...JUST SAYIN, you might try a test drive to see how they perform
That has been an interesting topic. TFL did videos that showed the horrendous lag. Diesel Power magazine wrote about their experience with the lag in September 2019 and even asked the engineers about it. My personal Gen 3 EcoDiesel lags so bad at times that I literally can count to 4 before the truck will respond to my throttle input. On the other hand, you have some guys online who say there is no lag, and it's perfect. Lol.

So.... I think it's all a matter of perspective and comparison to what you're used to. I'm still getting used to mine, and it's driveable, but I still hate the stock powertrain calibration.

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
anywhere, but always flipping off moderators
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
That has been an interesting topic. TFL did videos that showed the horrendous lag. Diesel Power magazine wrote about their experience with the lag in September 2019 and even asked the engineers about it. My personal Gen 3 EcoDiesel lags so bad at times that I literally can count to 4 before the truck will respond to my throttle input. On the other hand, you have some guys online who say there is no lag, and it's perfect. Lol.

So.... I think it's all a matter of perspective and comparison to what you're used to. I'm still getting used to mine, and it's driveable, but I still hate the stock powertrain calibration.
seriously wish you could drive his. so smooth, still no noticeable lag at all

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase

I just came out of a 2019 Corvette Grand Sport and before that a 2015 Hellcat and if there was lag I would notice it. My 3.0 has no lag that I can feel.

Sponsored

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has been in the shop constantly since 180 miles for EGR related issues. Kinda regretting getting the diesel. Been driving my cummins powered cj7 and do not miss the ecodiesel at all. When it worked great but too many problems, thus far.

Power with my mildly tuned VE pump 4bt is on par with the ecodiesel in my wrangler. Get far better MPG with the 4bt 25/26 mpg vs the 15 or so I was getting (probably related to the multiple EGR issues that plague my ecodiesel wrangler).
Right now local dealer are selling Diesel Wranglers they cant even get for 10 to 20k over sticker. They want a 10k non refundable deposit to order it or find it. If yours is giving you so many problems you should have no issue getting out of it. I know this because one of my employees is trying to get one and that's what he is running into.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Right now local dealer are selling Diesel Wranglers they cant even get for 10 to 20k over sticker. They want a 10k non refundable deposit to order it or find it. If yours is giving you so many problems you should have no issue getting out of it. I know this because one of my employees is trying to get one and that's what he is running into.
Are they all afraid of driving up north a ways? You guys have some no nonsense killer deals over on the east coast.

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
Getting out of it requires me pawning off the known issues of the vehicle to someone else. That is a problem for me as that is fraud. No sane person would purchase with known problems for MSRP; let alone a premium- as you suggest.

Regardless, I am awaiting on a fix from engineering which will come god knows when. Meanwhile driving my 40 year old jeep.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Getting out of it requires me pawning off the known issues of the vehicle to someone else. That is a problem for me as that is fraud. No sane person would purchase with known problems for MSRP; let alone a premium- as you suggest.

Regardless, I am awaiting on a fix from engineering which will come god knows when. Meanwhile driving my 40 year old jeep.
I did not imply that I think you should screw someone else. Trading it in is not pawning it off, The dealer would then have the time to fix it and then resell it. If you sold it locally or at an auction without saying anything then I would agree with your thoughts. The dealer would not want all the grief of retailing it to one of their customers. I am quite sure it is fixable, my response i was a way you can get out of something you think you don't want to deal with. The next buyer would be no different than all of us that took the risk of the first year run.

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
I did not imply that I think you should screw someone else. Trading it in is not pawning it off, The dealer would then have the time to fix it and then resell it. If you sold it locally or at an auction without saying anything then I would agree with your thoughts. The dealer would not want all the grief of retailing it to one of their customers. I am quite sure it is fixable, my response i was a way you can get out of something you think you don't want to deal with. The next buyer would be no different than all of us that took the risk of the first year run.
Around here no dealer will give you back your money after you drive a vehicle off the lot (I am well past the cooldown period and the issues occurred a few days after the cool down period lapsed). Trading it in would mean I lose a ton of money through no fault of my own. There is no scenario where I can get my money back through a retail transaction.

Currently there is no fix, its under development. I can't get out of it without losing big so I have to wait.

Sponsored

maxmxa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Paying anything over the invoice price is insane. They can be bought for well under invoice. As soon as you drive off the lot that same new Jeep will be worth at least $5K less to the dealer (even if you have less than 500 miles on it). If they give you more, then they're making up the difference somewhere else. The used vehicle market right now is well below average and the days of paying over MSRP are well gone (unless the dealer finds an easy buyer).

WVB

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Unlimited 3.0L Diesel HellaYella
Still building miles. Lag; like all turbocharged engines there will be a noticeable lag if you drop your foot on it from a dead stop. It isn't 4 seconds but noticeable. Learn to drive around it. Start with part throttle and wait until the engine has built some RPM before matting it.
My biggest complaint is the noise. When cold it sounds like it's going to come from together when accelerating. All good after it warms up.
Love, love love the low end torque! Plenty peppy in traffic and will shock a lot of other cars when it keeps up with or passes them.
We will see how the EGR system holds up. My understanding is that the changes made for the Ram Trucks could not be Incorporated into the Wrangler because of space considerations.

A.DiVe1

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
What, this can't be true... in the Chicago area, diesel jeeps are going for $6k UNDER invoice.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What, this can't be true... in the Chicago area, diesel jeeps are going for $6k UNDER invoice.
At most dealers here if they have a Rubicon expect to pay over sticker.
Sponsored