Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU EcoDiesel First Drive Reviews and Performance Specs

maxmxa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The diesel is not truly released yet.. give it time, there will be ways to delete the crap emission systems!

The question you need to ask yourself is: will it be worth it to pay $58K for a brand new jeep and delete the emission systems and drive WITHOUT a warranty??

For me, it would be worth it!
True, it's not widely common on the Wrangler side, but it's been on the Ram trucks for a while now. Also, deleting the emission system makes the Jeep illegal to operate on the road and the dealers won't work on the Jeep if the equipment is bypassed.
Sponsored

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon diesel
True, it's not widely common on the Wrangler side, but it's been on the Ram trucks for a while now. Also, deleting the emission system makes the Jeep illegal to operate on the road and the dealers won't work on the Jeep if the equipment is bypassed.
And, here in Nevada, as I'm sure it is in other states, if you mess with the emissions, you can't pass a smog check and renew the registration. Sorry, folks, but the guvment got us by the you-know-whats there.
Just drive it and enjoy it.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Deleting emissions knowing it voids warranty on a $50k plus purchase seems crazy. :)

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
Add the maintenance costs and potential issues with the emissions systems and you have the "ultimate driving machine" or...not.
The non diesel owner is back with his opinion. Go back to the gas threads. Or should I go to the gas threads and bash them even though "I have no horse in the race"?

Reactions: GtX

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
The non diesel owner is back with his opinion. Go back to the gas threads. Or should I go to the gas threads and bash them even though "I have no horse in the race"?
Funny, nothing I have said is false--prove it otherwise. I have owned diesels just not an FCA diesel and the last two were late models. Of course, according to many posts here, the answer is to simply gut the emissions and problem solved. I wonder why FCA does not offer a 7 year unlimited mileage warranty on the diesel engines like they do the gasoline models? If you think owning a modern diesel does not cost more to operate and maintain than a gasoline model you are in for rude awakening.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The more I think about it the more it seems upgrading to diesel isn't worth it. The complexity of the emissions system, the higher cost of maintenance, the higher cost of operating and fewer reliable diesel engine mechanics. I wonder when we'll see the announcement for Electric Jeep.
A diesel is something that gets in your blood. It doesn't have to make sense. My Hellcat didn't make sense, Just the cost for the insurance is a reason to look the other way. It's about what you feel deep inside about what you drive. I own three diesels and if Harley made a diesel bike I would buy that too. There is NO reason to bash diesels. I would never buy a gas Wrangler unless it had a Hellcat motor but that's just me. If you think $3250 is a lot for the upgrade then don't look at a new Ram diesel. I could do everything I do with a gas Ram but that would not be any fun.

Always remember if you walk away from what you ride or drive and do not turn around to look at it you bought the wrong ride. Even if your on a horse.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Funny, nothing I have said is false--prove it otherwise. I have owned diesels just not an FCA diesel and the last two were late models. Of course, according to many posts here, the answer is to simply gut the emissions and problem solved. I wonder why FCA does not offer a 7 year unlimited mileage warranty on the diesel engines like they do the gasoline models? If you think owning a modern diesel does not cost more to operate and maintain than a gasoline model you are in for rude awakening.
I have enough money to piss it away on anything I want, Go away until you grow up. What is the reason you troll the diesel threads? you don't have one, don't want one and no nothing about one.

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
anywhere, but always flipping off moderators
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
Only read a couple. Didn't see mention of throttle lag. I know the new ram gen 3 ecodiesel has similar lag to the aem modified gen 2s which is the only thing that makes me hesitate considering these.

The new ram ecodiesel had a 2+ second throttle delay in tfls test. Acting worse than my original ecodiesel making views think it actually stalled when Nathan floored it from a stop.
driven a 2020 ram 4X4 1500 Crew Cab Laramie eco diesel gen 3 a few times now...NO LAAAAAG AT ALLLLLLLLLL...JUST SAYIN, you might try a test drive to see how they perform

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have enough money to piss it away on anything I want, Go away until you grow up.
So do I, but that was not the point now was it? If you are going to insinuate that I am not conveying the truth, then back it up with facts, else we can agree to disagree and move on.

Sponsored

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So do I, but that was not the point now was it? If you are going to insinuate that I am not conveying the truth, then back it up with facts, else we can agree to disagree and move on.
Please answer all three question. Unless you really want one but just can't afford it. The minute I came across this thread I knew you would be here doing what you do without a horse. You ruin forums like this.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Please answer all three question. Unless you really want one but just can't afford it. The minute I came across this thread I knew you would be here doing what you do without a horse. You ruin forums like this.
Really? I have owned plenty of vehicles that cost more than a Jeep diesel, so give me break, my Rubicon was not the cheapest on the lot. What questions? If discussing reality is ruining a forum, then question becomes what is the purpose of the forum? You can absolutely degrade into insults and character attacks, but it will not change the facts. No need to believe a single word I said, just search Jeep diesel or Ram diesel, it should not take long to see reality.

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon diesel
Here's facts for you. A person doesn't buy a diesel to save money on maintenance or initial cost. A person buys a diesel for what it can do that a gas engine of the same size can't. Can you say "torque" ? Can you say "pulling power"?

I've owned two Ram diesel pickups and have had hundreds of thousands of reliable miles with them. I will probably get a couple hundred thousand more from my current Ram diesel dually too.

I traded a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon in for a 2020 diesel Rubicon after driving it and realizing the huge increase in torque (climbing capability). The new engine is not yet proven, but time will tell. With all new technology comes a few expected hiccups, but everything will be handled. I am thoroughly enjoying my new Wrangler and love the way it drives and feels. Its additional weight makes the ride amazing, and the added sound insulation is noticeable.

I have 37s on it, get better fuel economy than I did with stock tires and wheels on my 2018 gas, and the weight of the bigger tires isnt even felt, with the torque of the diesel engine.

Nobody said diesels were cheaper. In my opinion, and personal experience, I think the diesel Wrangler option is awesome.

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Well said Doug. Range and torque are the reason for a diesel. I’d buy one if they offered it in the 2 door.

maxmxa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Really? I have owned plenty of vehicles that cost more than a Jeep diesel, so give me break, my Rubicon was not the cheapest on the lot. What questions? If discussing reality is ruining a forum, then question becomes what is the purpose of the forum? You can absolutely degrade into insults and character attacks, but it will not change the facts. No need to believe a single word I said, just search Jeep diesel or Ram diesel, it should not take long to see reality.

It's not the extra cost of the diesel engine over gas base price. It's not whether you have the money to waste or not. $4000 more on a good solid diesel engine is not unusual as diesel engines have always cost $3 to $4K more on most trucks.

The problem is the reliability and maintenance of the new FCA diesel design. More specifically the Italian diesel engine being offered for the Jeep. The design hasn't proven to be reliable. There are many eco-diesel (older gen Ram truck) owners who have warned potential new owners of all the issues.

I was ready to trade in my 2019 for a new diesel JLUR (even if it cost $6K more). I love the diesel sound and torque and really like the way it drove. Unfortunately, after doing a lot of research, I heard too many horror stories on the eco-diesel engine.

For me these are the prime reasons people should look away from diesel:

1- Dealing with the FCA dealers over simple issues is bad enough, let alone having engine related problems.
2- Parts are hard to find and expensive
3- Not many good mechanics available that understand the ins and outs of this engine
4- The design is new and not proven to be reliable
5- The emission system is overly complex and requires too much maintenance (many parts are very hard to reach)
6- The Fiat eco-diesel doesn't have a good reliability record. I've heard of people with their engine lasting only 70K miles before they had to be replaced (just search the internet).
7- You cannot by-pass the emission system. It's not a simple removal of the equipment and involves reprogramming the computer. Most of all, it is not "legal" to do so and you will fail the emission testing when the system is not installed.

I don't mind paying extra to get something better, but I don't want to waste my time on something that I know will require constant maintenance and dealer visits. Those who have lots of cash and time on their hand to waste will not care about these issues and will eventually buy a diesel, but the reason we put our opinions on these forums is to alert other potential buyers that appreciate the information and can make an informed decision.
Sponsored

Last edited: