Sponsored

Has anyone been successful exchanging hard top for soft top, or wheels at the dealership?

jeeplaw

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, 2019 JLUR
I'm probably going to end up ordering a new rig, but, I'm coming across deals online where the jeeps aren't a soft top, or have the wheels I want. Has anyone been successful in making deals with the dealership to trade off the part you don't want, for another?
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
It happens but the customer usually ends up on the losing end of the deal.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mine said no.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Mine said no too. He said the "window sticker lists the wheel/tire package". So if he swapped the wheels from another vehicle... "How would I like if my window sticker had one setup listed, but the actual setup was different?"

So I shopped around even more and found everything I wanted at a different dealer.

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
I struck out at the dealer in looking for take-off wheels/tires. But, found the takes-offs I wanted at reasonable prices on E-Bay.

Hunter

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
It's rare for a top swap. They have to add the wiring harness when going from soft top to hard top. There is a possible dilemma with warranty also. I would seriously reconsider because the rear defroster is a know and common issue. I'd want the full warranty for that.

Wheels and tires are probably semi common.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
dealers around me will not swap parts. they will tell you to buy one of the custom built ones. the down side of this is it's not what you want and the dealer will tag another $20k - $30k on top of the msrp. so its a rip off.

you are better off looking around for one that you are looking for and get a better deal that way.

if you are looking for a soft top and the jeep only has a hard top. i would get it because you can pick up a soft top later on down the road.

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR, 2014 Dodge Dart GT
Occupation
Jeep Builder
I kinda just went through this. I traded in a Cherokee, but had just put new BFG A/Ts on it and I wanted to keep them. So when they told me $400, I grabbed the keys to my Cherokee and started walking towards the door.

Worked perfectly fine. I'd imagine a wheel swap would work too. I do remember my mom doing it on an old Sundance. It depends how bad they want the sale. They'll just have to deal with it.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
dealers around me will not swap parts. they will tell you to buy one of the custom built ones. the down side of this is it's not what you want and the dealer will tag another $20k - $30k on top of the msrp. so its a rip off.

you are better off looking around for one that you are looking for and get a better deal that way.

if you are looking for a soft top and the jeep only has a hard top. i would get it because you can pick up a soft top later on down the road.
I would not take buy it if it had a soft top and needed a hard top. I'd buy if it had a hard top for the reason you stated. Lots of soft top options.
Sponsored