Sponsored

JL or JLU, which will you choose?

Will you be ordering the 2-door or the 4-door?

• 2-door

Votes: 47 36.7%
  • 4-door

Votes: 77 60.2%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 4 3.1%

• Total voters

jedijeep

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU "Big Bear"
I just can't decide what to get right now! Personally, I felt like I made a mistake with my JK not getting a Rubicon. So, that part of me is set. But now with the JL vs JLU I don't know what I should get. I really want the extra cargo room that the JLU provides, but that's going to add up to an expensive rig... now when my wife finishes up med school, maybe I trade in the JL and get a JLU diesel? Does that sound dumb? Don't want to be throwing money away. Lol.
I'm right there with ya man. I *just* bought my 2017 JKU in July of this year... I already want an upgrade! Talk about throwing money away! Like you, I am very interested in that diesel engine! I think that maybe waiting about a year for the all the models and trim levels to come out will help you make the decision. And, I am sure I am not the first person to say this but, if you plan on doing after-market upgrades, going with a sport is a much smarter idea versus the rubicon, in terms of money you will save.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Nothing until they either have a full electric engine or Diesel engine, and offer panoramic sunroofs on one of the top options.

When it all comes together though, 4dr
You are shopping for the wrong vehicle.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Manual rubicon unlimited because who wants an auto in a jeep? "Ducks"

southtj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJ Sahara
4 door Jeeps are fine for you guys but I will never own one. 2 door jeep for me!

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Knobby

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
As soon as a 4 door was available, it was the only option for me.

I had a truck that was a extra cab. The only thing worse than only having a little room behind the seat was getting thing in and out of that freakin space.

Also, I think the unlimited looks better.

Last edited:

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel
also not sure will wait to see what they import ill check out the jt before i buy they should have most of the gremlins sorted by then

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
When the 4 door first came out I hated it! It was just plain wrong!

7 years after the JK release, and the demise of my TJ, I bought a 4 door JK. I did not need the extra space, but the aspect ratio (width to length) of the wider 2 door JK (as compared to the TJ), just looked too "square" to my eye. The longer 4 door aspect ratio looked much better. So I bought the 4 door. Shocker!

I miss the extreme turn radius of my TJ. Turn radius on the JKU is disappointing, but I get it, it's longer, and I can live with it.

Maybe the (reportedly) slightly longer 2 door will appeal to my eye, but I'm 99% sure I will buy the JLUR.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

7 years after the JK release, and the demise of my TJ, I bought a 4 door JK. I did not need the extra space, but the aspect ratio (width to length) of the wider 2 door JK (as compared to the TJ), just looked too "square" to my eye. The longer 4 door aspect ratio looked much better. So I bought the 4 door. Shocker!

I miss the extreme turn radius of my TJ. Turn radius on the JKU is disappointing, but I get it, it's longer, and I can live with it.

Maybe the (reportedly) slightly longer 2 door will appeal to my eye, but I'm 99% sure I will buy the JLUR.
YES. I traded my TJ in for a suburban when I got married/had kids. Let me tell you how sad I was not to be able to do a 180 in half the street.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
4 doors

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport

Regarding your comment about the turn radius on the JKU, I couldn't agree with you more. My wife has a mini-van, a Toyota Sienna, that has a turning radius that blows away my JKU. I don't know how a min-van can outperform a wrangler when it comes to turning radius.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
Regarding your comment about the turn radius on the JKU, I couldn't agree with you more. My wife has a mini-van, a Toyota Sienna, that has a turning radius that blows away my JKU. I don't know how a min-van can outperform a wrangler when it comes to turning radius.
The JKU's 41 ft. turning radius isn't THAT horrible considering its 116" wheelbase. For comparison the BMW 5 series has 117" wheelbase and 40 ft. turning radius. Mazda CX-9 has 115" wheelbase and 39 ft. turning radius. Nissan Pathfinder has 114" and 39 ft. turning radius.

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
The JKU's 41 ft. turning radius isn't THAT horrible considering its 116" wheelbase. For comparison the BMW 5 series has 117" wheelbase and 40 ft. turning radius. Mazda CX-9 has 115" wheelbase and 39 ft. turning radius. Nissan Pathfinder has 114" and 39 ft. turning radius.
It must be that the Sienna is a real outliner then, because my wife's sienna has a wheelbase of 119.3 inches, over 3 inches longer, but only has a 37.5 ft turning radius, 3.5 feet shorter. I just get tired of listening to her "whaaa, I hate driving your jeep, it is so much harder to park than my car". And she is right about that, but I just like to think my wrangler rules over her stupid mini-van in every way, shape, and form.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase