Sponsored

The Jeep Wrangler is One of the Most Unreliable Cars of 2020

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
This is valid except ours tracks straight with maybe 1/2” play tops. Zero DW.
Same so far, thankfully. Though there is one street in town that without traffic right now, I can actually drive the speed limit on it! That street has these weird bumps that I have to pay attention to, lest I end up outside my lane lol.

The only problem my JL has is the vibration that happens at freeway speeds. Seems a really common problem with the Rubicons. Also it vibrates at idle. Not sure if that's normal for the new 3.6 or not.
Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
The only problem my JL has is the vibration that happens at freeway speeds. Seems a really common problem with the Rubicons. Also it vibrates at idle. Not sure if that's normal for the new 3.6 or not.
Hmm? Ours has zero vibration. Freeway and idle. Maybe try to find out why this is happening. Only thing with us is excessive amounts of wind noise as highway speeds increase - due to so much form drag. Of course the box on top adds to this.

Seems compared to many others with ongoing steering problems - we lucked out majorly.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Fair enough. My first forray into Chrysler was a 2006 300c that was both a beautiful car and a blast to drive. The hemi crapped out at 7 years, 107k miles due to a fairly common problem with the valve seats. We ended up selling it for $3500. Ugh. Wish I had the money at the time to get a new engine for it. It was a lovely car. Of course I hear everything else on them ends up breaking too haha.

The 300 we replaced it with, and the Jeep I had before this were pretty good for the time we had them! Still I hope I don't have that kinda luck again.
It sounds like you keep your vehicles a while. Maybe consider the Mopar MaxCare Extended Warranty? You can buy one for close to 50% off the retail from a couple of guys mentioned on this forum. I think you can buy it up until 48 months and 50K miles? Double check that.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Well, mine has had the steering stabilizer recall (not fixed yet because they said they put me on a list but hadn't), the radiator recall (fixed), the clutch recall (not fixed yet, no parts yet), and the auto start stop that took 3 attempts to fix, all in 2 years and only 15k miles. Yes not a beacon of reliability. I still love it. The repairs haven't or ultimately will not cost anything but it sure is frustrating every time another issue pops up. I'm glad I popped for the big warranty.
Hi Nomad, we can help with the steering stabilizer parts. Feel free to send us a PM with your VIN if you'd like to discuss further.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, mine has had the steering stabilizer recall (not fixed yet because they said they put me on a list but hadn't), the radiator recall (fixed), the clutch recall (not fixed yet, no parts yet), and the auto start stop that took 3 attempts to fix, all in 2 years and only 15k miles. Yes not a beacon of reliability. I still love it. The repairs haven't or ultimately will not cost anything but it sure is frustrating every time another issue pops up. I'm glad I popped for the big warranty.
It's a lot easier for customers to forgive and be loyal if FCA customer service were better. It would be a lot more assuring and pleasant if the dealer and warranty experience were better.

Dealers are the ambassadors to the brand. The dealers are half the problem. Incompetent dealers who can't diagnose and repair warranty problems within a reasonable number of attempts. As in the FIRST time. Add in terrible customer service. The whole exciting new Wrangler experience can be ruined. People get frustrate and brand loyalty gets forgotten about. Worse yet for a brand. Unsatisfied customers posting negatively on public forums. That causes new potential customers to reconsider the brand.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same so far, thankfully. Though there is one street in town that without traffic right now, I can actually drive the speed limit on it! That street has these weird bumps that I have to pay attention to, lest I end up outside my lane lol.

I own a '19 2-door Rubicon with the 2.0T. I have driven quite a few 2018, 2019, 2020 Rubicons. 2-door, 4-door, 2.0, 3.6 and none had vibrations. Definitely not normal. Are you having 2 different vibration issues? One with wheels and suspension and another one with engine? It possible it's something simple like a wheel that's not balanced correctly if the vibration is in the steering. A vibration at idle? The 3.6 is pretty smooth at idle. Maybe a vacuum leak, bad injector, plug, or coil? Definitely not normal, bring it to the dealer. Good luck.

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My thoughts are that most Jeep buyers are somewhere between very enthusiastic or infatuated with the Jeep Wrangler, conceptually, or in most cases, actually. A minority number have become disenchanted. But like any "enthusiast vehicle", regardless of how many issues they have to deal with, enthusiasts will defend their selection. I think the unique nature of the Wrangler, where no other vehicle quite goes toe to toe with it, creates a mindset that develops a loyal following.

ryanmhulce

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
That is why I bought my Mopar 7-Year Unlimited Mile Warranty!

To be honest, I went from a 2017 Toyota Tacoma to my Jeep and the Tacoma had way more recalls and was in the shop for them a lot and it is supposed to be super reliable.

Ryan

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
I have a JLUR D on order. I am trading in a 2018 Honda Accord Touring that had troubles since day one. It goes into limp mode once every 3k miles or so. This usually happens going down the interstate. Honda at first told me to pound sand since they couldn’t reproduce it in the shop. After taking it 3 times and calling corporate I finally bought my own OBD2 scanner and videoed the next time it did it and pulled the code. They replaced the entire fuel system but it still didn’t fix it.

My wife’s 2009 ram has had less issues in the 10 years we have owned it. Point being is reliability is a crap shoot. I tried practical and reliable so I’m going to trade the Honda in on something that makes me smile.

Sponsored

PeeCeeJunior

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
I got my daughter a Jeep Renegade after her Nissan got totaled because the dealership had some great deals. She loves it and it hasn't had any problems yet, but if you think Chrysler products score poorly in reliability, Fiat just said 'hold my beer'. It's really weird driving it because it kind of looks and feels a Jeep from the inside, but not like...a good Jeep.

Apparently I can buy a MOPAR extended warranty after the fact so I think I'm going to go that route.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I own a '19 2-door Rubicon with the 2.0T. I have driven quite a few 2018, 2019, 2020 Rubicons. 2-door, 4-door, 2.0, 3.6 and none had vibrations. Definitely not normal. Are you having 2 different vibration issues? One with wheels and suspension and another one with engine? It possible it's something simple like a wheel that's not balanced correctly if the vibration is in the steering. A vibration at idle? The 3.6 is pretty smooth at idle. Maybe a vacuum leak, bad injector, plug, or coil? Definitely not normal, bring it to the dealer. Good luck.
both. The vibration at 65mph is different though. Also have a pretty strong vibration at idle sometimes. Maybe one of those things but no engine light or anything. It’s been like that since I bought it

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
both. The vibration at 65mph is different though. Also have a pretty strong vibration at idle sometimes. Maybe one of those things but no engine light or anything. It’s been like that since I bought it
I would say not normal. Bring it in and have it checked out. Good luck.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
to be honest, i never solely rely on a lot of these reviews because there are too many mix reviews, and misleading inf. the folks that are giving the reviews are ( how can i put it ) not exactly experts. ok, yes some might know the sport cars aspect of the sport cars, etc. but put one of those guys in a jeep, then you will have reviews that down grades the product. its like having the import magazine guys reviewing the jeep while the four wheeler magazine guys test driving the honda tuner. its not a good review. now switch it around and bingo, you will have the best review that you can rely on.

when i'm looking for a review, i go straight to forums like jeep for a jeep, etc and read up from folk that have the jeep and get the "real" infos / reviews. same goes for the magazines. yes i will look at motor trend because there info is pretty good, however i will read the four wheeler mag because that what they do. but will not look at car and driver or road and track for reviews on a jeep because to me its too general of infos.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
to be honest, i never solely rely on a lot of these reviews because there are too many mix reviews, and misleading inf. the folks that are giving the reviews are ( how can i put it ) not exactly experts. ok, yes some might know the sport cars aspect of the sport cars, etc. but put one of those guys in a jeep, then you will have reviews that down grades the product. its like having the import magazine guys reviewing the jeep while the four wheeler magazine guys test driving the honda tuner. its not a good review. now switch it around and bingo, you will have the best review that you can rely on.

when i'm looking for a review, i go straight to forums like jeep for a jeep, etc and read up from folk that have the jeep and get the "real" infos / reviews. same goes for the magazines. yes i will look at motor trend because there info is pretty good, however i will read the four wheeler mag because that what they do. but will not look at car and driver or road and track for reviews on a jeep because to me its too general of infos.
When I wanted a GT350 a couple years ago, I joined a forum for them. When I started seeing posts about engine cylinder/piston problems, I went to other GT350 forums and found similar posts. In the end, I opted to not get one and the attraction/urge passed. Forums can be an enlightening place to get information at a level no magazine would ever publish. But you are the filter for what's what. You should validate and look for supporting information from others before you act on the information. There's all kinds of misleading information in forums.
Sponsored