PUNK'N Wrangler Jl club

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Bored during quarantine today, decided to strip off the wax and apply ceramic coating. Who knew Punk'n had so much reflection!!

20200408_121421.jpg
I washed mine today. Have around 70 miles but she needed a bath. Tomorrow is clay then wax (a ceramic solution that my hubby has). I love the Punk’n in the sun and you can see the glass flake in the paint. Subtle but so pretty.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have any extra mopar spray cans of punk'n orange around their garage they are not using? Ran out doing my dash and all my local dealers are out and online can't give an estimated arrival time, even though I have 2 cans on order
Call Body shop paint suppliers. They custom mix colors. I have seen a few load custom paint into pressurized spray cans for a few bucks.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sponsored

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
I'd pull the parts and hand them to a shop.

:like:

Totally worth it. IMHO
Lol the painting is the easiest part for me. Taking it apart and putting it back together is a bitch. Hey I'm getting old lol.

BigKahuna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon, 2015 Challenger Hellcat
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to paint my dash but I've seen how much work is involved.
It really wasn't that bad. I let it intimidate me for a while, but once I dove into it, it really wasn't hard. Worst part for me was removing the large A/C control panel. Those clips were very tight!! Actually all the clips were very tight, almost felt like you were going to break them, but not a single one did. The rest was a breeze.

BigKahuna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'd pull the parts and hand them to a shop.

:like:

Totally worth it. IMHO
I'd have to disagree in a sense. Yes a true paint shop will always be superior. However with proper prep of the panels, and not rushing the coats of paint you can get some excellent quality pieces. All for $20 compared to probably $200 +.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I'd have to disagree in a sense. Yes a true paint shop will always be superior. However with proper prep of the panels, and not rushing the coats of paint you can get some excellent quality pieces. All for $20 compared to probably $200 +.
I spent $120 because of my lack of knowledge, and skill really. Don't need to sand first and certainly not with 250 grit! I finally went to a body shop and they sold me the right paint which ended up costing $75 for the primer, the right color paint, and clear coat with glass flakes. Now if Rustoleum made the right color, then $20 would be all you needed for sure.

At the minimal, make sure that you don't use the wrong primer and paint combination. Some of them don't mix well. On the flip side, I learned a lot doing it myself.

:beer:

BigKahuna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I spent $120 because of my lack of knowledge, and skill really. Don't need to sand first and certainly not with 250 grit! I finally went to a body shop and they sold me the right paint which ended up costing $75 for the primer, the right color paint, and clear coat with glass flakes. Now if Rustoleum made the right color, then $20 would be all you needed for sure.

At the minimal, make sure that you don't use the wrong primer and paint combination. Some of them don't mix well. On the flip side, I learned a lot doing it myself.

:beer:
$120 is definitely better than I would have guessed! I did not sand. But rather used a scotchbrite pad to lightly "scuff up" surface. Light coat of automotive primer i already had. Then started building up very light coats up of Punk'n orange. Let dry 20 mins between coats, started going little heavier on around coat 5. Don't remember how many coats total, then sealed with a gloss clear. Oh and ordered color matched Punk'n Orange from Mopar for $12 a can. Used 2 cans of color, so $24 total in mine. Granted I already had primer and clear on hand. Either way someone goes, color matched dash is the right choice!!
Sponsored