Sponsored

ROAM Side Steps light wiring (or any step lights with door open illumination.)

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all your help, but may I add something?

I just spent the last few months trying to get my LED Roam lights to shut off automatically, to no avail.

I would go back and re-read your uxcell relay instructions, but no success?

Then it occurred to me that you may not have had the optional factory LED Light package, but I do

Once I wired the Roam LED's directly, by-way-of a fused link to my interior LED wire, all was well!

I suspect that my factory interior LED lights didn't draw enough power to trigger the disconnect function of the uxcell solid state relay?

With my Roam lights wired directly to the interior lights without a relay, my Roam lights still dim quite nicely in the same fashion as the interor dimming qualities.

uxcell ASH-25DD 3-32VDC to 5-250VDC 25A Single Phase Solid State DC-DC Relay
Strange,
I've done the install on both LED and Non LED package Jeeps. Really the main difference isn't in the LED package but whether or not you Jeep came equipped with the "mood lighting". On vehicles with it there are three wires to the footwell light rather than two. In both instances the wire color I tapped into was the same and the step lights functioned the same.
Sponsored

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
Strange,
I've done the install on both LED and Non LED package Jeeps. Really the main difference isn't in the LED package but whether or not you Jeep came equipped with the "mood lighting". On vehicles with it there are three wires to the footwell light rather than two. In both instances the wire color I tapped into was the same and the step lights functioned the same.
Yes, strange indeed, as I followed the instructions exactly and used the same relay that was recommended from Amazon?

But now that I am thinking about it, why would I even need to use a relay to power LED's to/from a LED circuit?

CaddyshackGopher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Without the relay mine sounds like a swarm of locusts are having a party under the hood each time the lights go on/off

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
Without the relay mine sounds like a swarm of locusts are having a party under the hood each time the lights go on/off
I agree with your logic, but my experience tells me to skip the relay on LED lights when tapping into a LED feed wire.

smklaw

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Finally got my lights done this past weekend. For the life of me I could not get through the passenger side pass-through so I ended up running across through the cross-brace and then took both sides through the driver's side and connected to the under dash light. Works perfect.

IMG_0505[1].JPG

View album _Videos_.jpg

Sponsored

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
KBB Analyst
I love those red lights on a red vehicle.

Sorry to hear about the wiring issue.

I found it to be a neater solution to run the power lead wire from the left side to the right by coming up the side of the engine bay and under the inner lip across the hood opening's rubber strip near the windshield.

Mmorreale

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara Altitude 3.0 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Retired (disabled) Firefighter
I’m having trouble with my lights. I tapped my cyclone lights into the footwell lights to make blue footwell lights and outside entry lights. At night everything stays on because the factory footwell lights go really dim and don’t turn completely off. How do I fix this? Help!

79EF8F90-16E4-4C0A-87D1-29FBD473DC9E.jpeg

217F11E1-920A-47B3-A67A-EAFCC1AAF306.jpeg

B480C128-62B7-4CB2-A1C6-D6C53CA1B5C4.jpeg

7DEA5646-54DD-41BC-AC8D-5E736D0CCF46.jpeg

BRC10

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I’m having trouble with my lights. I tapped my cyclone lights into the footwell lights to make blue footwell lights and outside entry lights. At night everything stays on because the factory footwell lights go really dim and don’t turn completely off. How do I fix this? Help!

Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM Side Steps light wiring (or any step lights with door open illumination.) 7DEA5646-54DD-41BC-AC8D-5E736D0CCF46

Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM Side Steps light wiring (or any step lights with door open illumination.) 7DEA5646-54DD-41BC-AC8D-5E736D0CCF46

Read my reply to someone on the previous page. Same problem. You probably have both the footwell lights and the mood lights (they are different), and you tapped the wrong one.

Mmorreale

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara Altitude 3.0 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Retired (disabled) Firefighter
Read my reply to someone on the previous page. Same problem. You probably have both the footwell lights and the mood lights (they are different), and you tapped the wrong one.
We switched it. It’s fixed now. Thank you!

arok99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
After a year and a half of having the rails I finally installed the LEDs and boy are they bright! Has anyone considered adding a resistor to reduce the brightness?

Sponsored

jwalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
After a year and a half of having the rails I finally installed the LEDs and boy are they bright! Has anyone considered adding a resistor to reduce the brightness?
I considered doing it with mine. I was going to put in a rotary potientiometer so I could manually adjust the maximum brightness and install it under the hood near the solid state relay. I figure once it was installed and adjusted I wouldn't really mess with it. Just make sure to get one large enough to handle the heat dissipation without burning out. The power P in watts (W) is equal to the squared current I in amps (A) times the resistance R in ohms Ω
Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM Side Steps light wiring (or any step lights with door open illumination.) 1595634644743
Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM Side Steps light wiring (or any step lights with door open illumination.) IMG_3017.JPG

Last edited:

arok99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I considered doing it with mine. I was going to put in a rotary potientiometer so I could manually adjust the maximum brightness and install it under the hood near the solid state relay. I figure once it was installed and adjusted I wouldn't really mess with it. Just make sure to get one large enough to handle the heat dissipation without burning out. The power P in watts (W) is equal to the squared current I in amps (A) times the resistance R in ohms Ω
Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM Side Steps light wiring (or any step lights with door open illumination.) IMG_3017.JPG
That's actually the same route I took, I set the brightness to where I want it and left it.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Love the rails but do not want the lights, does anyone make a cap or dummy light to plug the holes

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Love the rails but do not want the lights, does anyone make a cap or dummy light to plug the holes
You don't need to install the lights nor plug the holes.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I don’t think you’ll even notice the holes if you decide not to install the lights.
Sponsored