Sponsored

Chris Dobbins

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Jeep Wrangler,18' Subaru Outback,94' Ford IDI
Just finished installing my clutch. Talk about a bear to replace by yourself. Wanted to start a thread to keep people updated on its performance as i get more miles on it. So far its great. You can take off without giving it throttle and my clutch pedal is firm. You can finally feel what it is doing. Took a few photos of the stock clutch and the new centerforce clutch. Leave it to FCA to make a clutch so complicated.
20200405_180147.jpg
20200405_180301.jpg
20200405_180439.jpg
20200404_104916.jpg
20200404_110641.jpg
Sponsored

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Good stuff made by Centerforce. I'm ready to do the same on my 2018 JLUS. I think the additional mass weight will be beneficial for all types of driving.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
What was your time frame? Were there any snags, other than having a helper. looks great...I'm considering doing the same but wondering if I should hold off till the recall is done.

OP
OP
Chris Dobbins

Chris Dobbins

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only snag was getting the bracket that holds the wiring harness to the bell housing off. Its tight in there. Would recommend taking both fender liners out and cats to give better access. A service manual will help get things out in the right order. Less pain that way. Took 14 hours spread out between two days. Not bad for me since i'm a little OCD. :like:

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Only snag was getting the bracket that holds the wiring harness to the bell housing off. Its tight in there. Would recommend taking both fender liners out and cats to give better access. A service manual will help get things out in the right order. Less pain that way. Took 14 hours spread out between two days. Not bad for me since i'm a little OCD. :like:
I look forward to your impressions as you drive it. Keep them coming if you don’t mind. I’m close to swapping in a centerforce too but eager for reviews first.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chris Dobbins

Chris Dobbins

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will do. For anybody who has a MT and wants to try it out before hand. I would be willing to meet up. I'm located near Greenville, SC. Would be nice if we could all test out mods before we buy them.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Following...

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Any gear grinding? I read older posts that they had issues with grinding gears when shifting. Also, does it help with the rev hang?

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Watch Youtube video on the extra 18lbs of inertia weight.

OP
OP
Chris Dobbins

Chris Dobbins

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any gear grinding? I read older posts that they had issues with grinding gears when shifting. Also, does it help with the rev hang?
No grinding. Still shifts as smooth as day 1. Your clutch would have to be not disengaging when you press the pedal for it to grind. Air in the lines or not seating the clutch slave cylinder to the clutch fork could cause that.

I never had a problem with rev hang. Would say now the revs don't drop as fast with the heavier flywheel. Makes for a smoother transition in between gears.

Sponsored

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
No grinding. Still shifts as smooth as day 1. Your clutch would have to be not disengaging when you press the pedal for it to grind. Air in the lines or not seating the clutch slave cylinder to the clutch fork could cause that.

I never had a problem with rev hang. Would say now the revs don't drop as fast with the heavier flywheel. Makes for a smoother transition in between gears.
Any noticeable difference in MPG with the heavier flywheel? The added weight (~18lbs?) should be minimal weight to the vehicle but wondering if the heavier flywheel will improve MPG at all?

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
OP, hard to tell from the pics, is the stock clutch a dual friction disk clutch? You're right, that seems way over-engineered. Following, if I keep it, one of the Centerforce clutches may be in my Jeeps future.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Following. This is good stuff. Any pics of the clutch replacement? I’m sure it’s a bear but just curious to see pics I guess.

OP
OP
Chris Dobbins

Chris Dobbins

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any noticeable difference in MPG with the heavier flywheel? The added weight (~18lbs?) should be minimal weight to the vehicle but wondering if the heavier flywheel will improve MPG at all?
Checked the gauge on my why home today. Sure enough, getting 1 mpg more. Could be a fluke. I will keep an eye on it as time goes on. It does hold speed better and taking off from a stop doesn't require as much throttle to get moving.
Sponsored